Author Topic: My review of "Piano Textures 3" CD by Bruno Sanfilippo  (Read 894 times)

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
My review of "Piano Textures 3" CD by Bruno Sanfilippo
« on: November 03, 2012, 07:42:04 AM »

Bruno Sanfilippo "Piano Textures 3" CD

The third installment of "Piano Textures" has became a reality during September 2012. I won't say anything new when describing Bruno Sanfilippo, in Argentina born, but residing in Barcelona, Spain, as one of the leading figures of the ambient movement in Europe. Released not only as a solo digipak CD, but also as one third of elegantly packaged "Piano Textures" Box Set along with digipak reissues of previous two chapters, "Piano Textures 1" and "Piano Textures 2". Looking for some nice collector's item? This might be one of your choices for sure!!! Anyway, let's explore now the atmospheres of "Piano Textures 3", which consists of 8 parts entitled "Piano Textures". The album unfolds soothingly with minimal, but expressive piano tune backed by captivating natural sounds of bird calls or cow bells. It's no secret that Bruno Sanfilippo is enormously gifted piano player, who studied at The Galvani Conservatory in Buenos Aires with a degree in musical composition. And Bruno Sanfilippo truly excels at his filigree piano playing!!! "Piano Textures 3 II" is deeply intimate and evocative composition hazed by the clouds of profound sadness and nostalgia. Deliberately serene and touching!!! Warm piano ambience invade "Part III" and floats smoothly through various passages, ranging from more melodious and illuminating to more quiet and contemplative with strong cinematic feel, what a beauty!!! "Part IV" blends euphorically swirling phases with more intense, throughout saturated by distant natural sounds. Beautifully sad "Part V" immerses deeply each listener with its emotionally rich piano texture, weeping cello sounds and tranquil ocean waves, at the end joined by child's voices. This composition impresses utterly with its nostalgia, intimacy and warmness. Long forgotten memories are awakening, another masterpiece!!! Beautifully relaxing moods are all over the next piece, "Part VI", this time restful and fragile piano is strongly flavored by myriad of forest birds chirping and few kids voices and dog barks. When absorbed by this composition, naturally colored "BIOMA" comes to my mind. Towards the end few harsher scrapings à la "Urbs" appear as well. And some of these sharper outbursts and low deep sounds can be explored also on "Part VII", with sort of cacophonous intro that is soon softened by euphorically shimmering and lush piano. I like so much the interplay of harsher and velvety parts, it might sound quite perplexing, but the overall feel remains always very sensitive and poignant. Sparsely elegant and strikingly picturesque piano texture of "Part VIII" is again carefully enriched by few nostalgic cello sounds to complete this grand finale composition. Freely meandering and dreamlike, absolutely gracious and gorgeous!!! "Piano Textures 3" is a lyrical performance at its most virtuoso!!! It's absolutely thrilling to witness how Bruno Sanfilippo demonstrates his amazing versatility within ambient genre, always marked with highly sophisticated approach and equipped with massive potential. Just take into account, for example, his last five releases, "Piano Textures 3", "Urbs", "BIOMA" (with Max Corbacho), "Subliminal Pulse" and "CROMO" (with Mathias Grassow). Without any doubt, he is one of the giants in the genre, a composer of great artistry and talent, because otherwise he wouldn't be able to reach this challenging and refined quality. Bravissimo, Maestro, and muchas gracias for all your sonic pearls, I am deeply honored to collect them!!!

Richard Gürtler (Nov 03, 2012, Bratislava, Slovakia)

judd stephens

• View Profile
Re: My review of "Piano Textures 3" CD by Bruno Sanfilippo
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 01:57:16 PM »

The album unfolds soothingly with minimal, but expressive piano tune backed by captivating natural sounds of bird calls or cow bells.

Exactly, yes I was thinking his music could use more cow bell  ;D

hdibrell

• View Profile
Re: My review of "Piano Textures 3" CD by Bruno Sanfilippo
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 09:40:36 PM »

The album unfolds soothingly with minimal, but expressive piano tune backed by captivating natural sounds of bird calls or cow bells.

Exactly, yes I was thinking his music could use more cow bell  ;D
;D ;D
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.