Author Topic: Sorry Pete Kelly....On Inspiration  (Read 1082 times)

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
Re: Sorry Pete Kelly....On Inspiration
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2014, 01:42:25 AM »
Good advice from Mike and Forrest's notebook idea I concur with, I keep a log (more as a diary) and it's very useful.

Don't expect everything to be great (especially in it's initial stages), just try to get to a point where it's momentum carries it forward. Working as a solo artist is difficult in some respects, for myself, I'm always concerned with repeating myself or that certain areas of my music really need improving.

Also remixes (competitions) are a great way to work on something anonymously and not to be too precious about the outcome.

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2014, 01:41:44 PM »
Well said, Mike. I seem to have the opposite problem, though. In the past, I tended to be very loose with my first attempts at recording something. Where I had my problems was going back and fixing what was wrong with it. Some time back I was listening to some pieces I had recorded in the mid 1980's ( a time when I was most prolific). I kept wondering why I didn't go back and rerecord some of the pieces or fix what was wrong in what I had recorded. I would record something very raw and then move on to something else. Short attention span, maybe? Anyway, I'm trying to get back to recording now that I am getting past my awkwardness with recording on a computer ( I bought an outboard recorder). I'm going to make a real attempt at finishing what I start.
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2014, 04:57:32 PM »
If someone has a hard time getting started, then "relax, loosen up and don't worry" may be good advice.

If someone has a hard time ever focusing in enough to finish anything, then maybe the opposite advice would be better!
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2014, 08:47:42 PM »

If someone has a hard time ever focusing in enough to finish anything, then maybe the opposite advice would be better!
That's not the first time I've heard that.  ;D
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2014, 08:27:21 AM »
"In my experience, some people have a difficult time getting started not because they've lost the creative knack, or the impulse to create, but because they've begun putting pressure on themselves to create something "great" or "important" rather than just creating for the fun of it."  - Mike

Dead on awesome comment.  I admit - I've had that bad totally not constructive "it must be great" issue.  My solution?  Start recording me play my piano on my iphone and post to youtube.  It's been liberating for me.  A "i just don't care i'm just playing" thing - that I also share.  Which is both fun - and reminds me of old ideas. 
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2014, 04:37:00 AM »
Thats a great post Mike!

Personally I am never blocked because I dont look at it as if something is in my way preventing creation.  Im not doing anything now and now I am....or perhaps there simple is not a beginning or and ending it just is happening.

Does not mean I don't struggle and doubt during the creation. 

Does not mean that I can  take the fun out of creating by being too serious.....Im make serious ambient music now.

Does not mean that I dont labor for months to years over a music or photographic project wonder is it done.  Is it enough.  It needs something.  When should I just let it go?

All of this is part of the process and I put it together as the journey.....departure and arrival are not so important for me....its whats in between that is.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 04:44:43 AM by Julio Di Benedetto »

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2014, 01:53:50 PM »
Regarding 'blocks', I presume that the finishing of something is generally more the problem than the starting of something (?)

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2014, 05:27:12 AM »
Regarding 'blocks', I presume that the finishing of something is generally more the problem than the starting of something (?)

It is for me.....I have a music project that I thought was finished a year ago and was maturing so to speak.  Opened it up to see how its tasting only to discover it did not need more time but more work so Im currently throwing the kitchen sink at it.  Will it improve? Perhaps it was already all it could be.  And so it goes.

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2014, 06:34:18 AM »
I'm pretty fortunate in that I'm able to get projects finished. While the work-in-progress is the learning process in itself, I'm sufficiently goal oriented to see the completion of a project as the primary thing. This isn't because I'm super disciplined or anything like that, more that i was a bit of a slacker with music when I was younger and now I take it far more seriously.

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2014, 08:31:05 AM »

It is for me.....I have a music project that I thought was finished a year ago and was maturing so to speak.  Opened it up to see how its tasting only to discover it did not need more time but more work so Im currently throwing the kitchen sink at it.  Will it improve? Perhaps it was already all it could be.  And so it goes.

I agree with Julio that it can be harder to finish a project than to start one.  When you're at the project's beginning, there is a blank slate feeling that the project can be open to all kinds of possibilities.  When you reach the home stretch, what you've created before can start to narrow your options.  This isn't necessarily a bad thing, as for me it helps keep the project focused, so that it is not just a collection of random pieces.

Forrest

El culto

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2014, 12:45:43 PM »

I agree with Julio that it can be harder to finish a project than to start one.  When you're at the project's beginning, there is a blank slate feeling that the project can be open to all kinds of possibilities.  When you reach the home stretch, what you've created before can start to narrow your options.  This isn't necessarily a bad thing, as for me it helps keep the project focused, so that it is not just a collection of random pieces.

Forrest

+1

Canīt agree more on this!

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2014, 08:05:19 AM »
Sometimes the blank slate is worse though... when there are infinite possibilities... the blank slate can be very daunting.  I understand both ends of this ... beginning and finishing being issues for different people.
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2014, 02:53:59 PM »
Thats true John, though once I commit I find the infinite very quickly comes crashing down to a more human scale as things take their place or the endeavor just simple crashes.

I think getting bored of a project is a bad way to end it...." I just cant be bother to do anything with it".  I do arrive at this place from time to time, perhaps its part of the journey but its where training and experience comes to aid, not musical training per se but the ability to be grown up for lack of a better expression.  Artist can through tantrums for sure but its the experience of dealing with these issues and overcoming the barriers the make us succeed.

We have this fancy Ionizing water dispenser in the kitchen where I work and Im often there during the course of the day / night.....by the water hole there is a picture of the basket ball player Michael Jordan with this quote:

"Ive missed more than 9000 shots in my career, ive lost almost 300 games, 26 times Ive been trusted to take the wining shot and missed.
                    Ive failed over and over and over again in my life....at that is why I succeed."

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2014, 06:18:48 AM »
I agree with that quote, indeed.

Watched a very good Kate Bush documentary on BBC 4 last night. Now she is a source of inspiration !
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04dzswb

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2014, 02:41:59 PM »
Would love to watch that Pete but it seems I must be in the uk to view it on the BBC iplayer.  Thought I try and download the iplayer app.....not available. 

I'll just have to pull out my Kate Bush cds instead. :( :)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 04:02:54 PM by Julio Di Benedetto »

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2014, 06:01:03 PM »
Here you go, watch while you can:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4sLwt8mhZs
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2014, 06:12:09 PM »
Cool...thanks Loren!

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2014, 07:39:42 PM »
What a celebration...just finished watching it.  Wow!

Julio Di Benedetto

• View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2014, 04:16:56 AM »
Peter Gabriel quote from the Kate Bush documentary......"Creativity comes from the freedom to fail"