Author Topic: RIP Pete Namlook  (Read 5863 times)

drone on

• View Profile
Re: RIP Pete Namlook
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2012, 02:12:16 AM »
That's a great video, from Slices music magazine.  I have this on Dvd, in fact Pete sent it to me with an order from him through Discogs.  Here you'll learn he was never influenced by Eno's ambient stuff, he didn't hear it until quite a ways into his career...

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2012, 11:48:48 AM »
Very shocked to hear this to say the least, especially since it appears we are almost the exact same age.  :o That kind of brings it home.  :(

I enjoyed some of his music as well as other artists he released on his various labels over the years, he brought a lot to the ambient table. I never talked with him so I can't say that I really knew him, but I always felt we were kindred spirits and he was always on my short list of people I would like to meet in this genre.  He will be missed.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2012, 10:54:11 PM »
WOW, sad to hear, and so young....he is what I will be in < 2 wks for age....I better eat my veggies! j/k. Sad news indeed and I am sure he will be missed. My condolences to his family.

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2012, 06:40:02 AM »
I have to admit, I came to Faxlabel ambient rather late. I discovered it through a Shoutcast server in '98 called J's Ambient
This is exactly how I discovered his work as well. His work was a huge inspiration and definitely part of my shift toward writing ambient music.
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

sraymar

• View Profile
    • Steve Raymar
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2012, 10:23:08 PM »
Too bad he went so early. Although I've never heard of him I liked what he was up to in the first video and I really like watching him drive along in that red Triumph TR3. I had a baby sitter that would drive me to school in one exactly like that when I was a kid in the early 60s with the top down. I'll have to check out more of his work now.
Ambient isn't just for technicians!

The artist isn't a special kind of man, but every man is a special kind of artist.

Don't be afraid to grow, give yourself a chance.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2012, 01:52:15 PM »
Only thing I could find so far about cause of death was something about an "undiagnosed heart-related complaint" so it seems as though Peter died in his sleep of a heart attack.  I believe the family will still be releasing further statements.  I've been playing a lot of Fax discs lately of course.  Still in shock.  Still really hurts as it's like losing a good friend.  His music was definitely the soundtrack to my life for many years.  I hope there will be some tribute opportunities for the fans to reach out to each other and share their condolences with the family and their thoughts about PN.  I think he was significant not only for the quality of his musical genius, but the innovative way he ran his indepedent label, without promotion and with total control and integrity all these years.     

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2012, 01:37:02 PM »
There's a nice tribute block/photo of Peter up now at the Fax USA/distributor site, www.ear-rational.com, if anyone is interested. 

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2013, 11:25:50 AM »
I wonder what happened to any follow up after his daughter made the announcement to the press back in November?  She stated more info. would be forthcoming, but there has been nothing.  The website has remained untouched/not updated (the daughter created the website, I believe) since November.  Though it's pretty clear heart attack was the cause of death, I am hoping to hear something more.

Antdude

• I was told there would be no math
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2014, 04:36:54 PM »
I thought this was important enough to post here since I hadnít heard much new information since Pete passed away.

Today, I finally received  a copy of Electro-Harmonix by Tetsu Inoue and Jonah Sharp. Itís always been one of my favorite Fax releases and since it was limited to 500 in its initial release in 1994(!), I was fortunate to find a copy of the Ambient World sublabel reissue from a German retailer.

Included in the package with the disc was a note from Peteís daughter, Fabia:

As it is not easy, in times of pain, to find the right words, it took me a while to be in the right place to write this, so I thank you for your patience.

Peter Kuhlmann aka Pete Namlook (25.11.1960 - 08.11.2012) died within seconds of a heart attack but will live on in our hearts forever. His fast and unexpected death left us with his soul, living on in his music. His vision gave everyone around him strength and he was not only a composer, he was an Idealist counsellor for his friends as well.

Fax Records was founded by Pete Namlook in 1992 and after 20 years of existence, there will be a change. As I was neither in the financial or musical position to pursue his heritage, things still have to be figured out. To buy music now, you can contact Michael Zosel: zosel@t-online.de

I want to thank everyone for making the pain easier by sharing their grief. It feels good to know that he wonít be forgotten by so many people from different cultures and origins.

I thank everyone who wrote moving words to lighten the pain as I could not respond to everyone of you individually.

To the heart of our nearest star,
Fabia Kuhlmann

This was the first follow-up news Iíd heard about his family and the possible future of Fax since Peteís passing and I thought this might be some help to others who were fans.

The main Fax website is still up and running, although I donít think any purchases can be made through it, but the Fax catalog is still available on emusic.com and on iTunes. In addition, Dave at Ear Rationalís Carpe Sonum label offers a Pete Namlook tribute album through Bandcamp here: http://namlooktribute.bandcamp.com/album/die-welt-ist-klang-a-tribute-to-pete-namlook
There is no spoon. Which sucks because I have a pudding cup.

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2014, 10:25:20 AM »
I've heard his name a thousand times, but I have never heard his music. If you had to assemble a Pete Namlook "starter kit" of music, what would you include? I'm thinking of dipping in...

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2014, 11:59:51 AM »
I would investigate the following series of Namlook releases:

Shades of Orion
2350 Broadway
Psychonavigation
Outland
Dreamfish

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2014, 12:24:21 PM »
Thanks, drone on. The sheer volume of releases is overwhelming, so it's helpful to have a few suggestions.

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2014, 12:59:43 PM »
I would also thoroughly recommend

Shades of Orion series
2350 Broadway series
Psychonavigation series
and Dreamfish.

I have still to check out "outland" myself.

I would also say getting hold of.......Silence V and 62 Eulengasse is an absolute must. They are ambient masterpieces.

I have all the Carpe Sonum releases to date and have been very impressed with the quality. They have a good few releases pending. I am awaiting my "Die Welt Ist Klang" 8 CD box
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 01:12:33 PM by thirdsystem »

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2014, 05:05:34 PM »
The first Shades Of Orion album is awesome. I also like Outland 2 and Psychonavigation but I haven't heard much else besides those three albums.
http://castleview.bandcamp.com/
New album available now!

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2014, 07:49:33 PM »
Yeah, Outland 2 is great, best of the whole series.  Shades of Orion 2 and 3 are way better than the first one, so you should check those out.  I am also awaiting my Namlook tribute box.  Should be another month though for that as I preordered late last year.

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2014, 08:08:51 PM »
Again, thanks for the suggestions, everybody. Outlands 1 sounded fantastic, and so did Dreamfish, especially the last track. I'll have to check out Outlands 2, and the others.

Antdude

• I was told there would be no math
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2014, 01:47:29 AM »
I'd also recommend the Air or Silence series, as well.

I think they were both up to five releases in each one, and encompassed many differing musical journeys on each disc. As you mentioned, there is so much material to cover, it's hard to know where to start.

If you can find it, I'd also recommend "The Ambient Cookbook" Vols. 1 or 2. They were nice compilations of material by Namlook and some of the other Fax artists, put together into a very good mix. I think there are some Pete Namlook tributes on Youtube that showcase those collections.

Good luck. I hope you find some new favorites. It looks like there are enough Fax fans here that we can help if you have more questions.
There is no spoon. Which sucks because I have a pudding cup.

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2014, 05:50:45 AM »
The Air series is also pure class. I bought the MP3 collection FAX disc version of this. All five albums for a very reasonable price. Worth getting some FAX music on these MP3 discs as you get the whole series for low pounds/dollars .

I also have to mention two of my favourite more recent FAX favourites.

Namlook/Moufang XX - Taygete. An epic trip through space and new worlds. Utterly mesmerising.

Namlook XX1 -Subconscious Worlds - This is in my top 5 FAX. A great mix of ambient and real FAX tunes. I am just back from a trip to Hamburg and listened to this whilst exploring the Haubtbanhoff station and environs. Surreal and epic experience.

If you listen to this disc in DTS surround mode it will blow your mind  :)

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2014, 10:36:05 AM »
I'm a huge fan of the "Labyrinth" series he did with Lorenzo Montana.  Five releases, all fantastic.
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2014, 03:20:39 PM »
Psychonavigation sounds great as well, especially that first, lengthy track- deep, dark, and hypnotic...