Author Topic: RIP Pete Namlook  (Read 5713 times)

DeepR

• View Profile
Re: RIP Pete Namlook
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2014, 06:36:22 AM »
Definitely check out Psychonavigation 2 as well. It's my favorite from the series.
And let's not forget the Dark Side of the Moog series!

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2014, 04:33:38 AM »
I'm a huge fan of the "Labyrinth" series he did with Lorenzo Montana.  Five releases, all fantastic.

The Labyrinth series really is something special. Every album is wonderful.

Potentially the best series on FAX ? A few contenders for that though  8)

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2014, 01:06:49 PM »
It has arrived  8)

Die Welt ist Klang - 8 CD wooden box set of FAX artists and fan contributions in tribute to the great Pete Namlook.

Possibly the best quality packaging and collection of music I have purchased in  my life. You can smell the quality of the wooden box  :)

Played the first two CDs of FAX artists, stunning. Such a fitting tribute to one of my favourite musicians of all time.

Pete would have been proud and moved by this fantastic tribute to his music and legacy.

Crepuscule

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2014, 07:20:04 PM »
WOW, sad to hear, and so young....he is what I will be in < 2 wks for age....I better eat my veggies! j/k. Sad news indeed and I am sure he will be missed. My condolences to his family.

He ate his veggies. Actually he planted them! Pete had a farm and studio in the country. He had a really cool lifestyle...

PETE NAMLOOK (Slices Feature)

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2014, 04:31:56 AM »
Pete was an extremely keen gardener. When ordering CDs from FAX we used to have a fair few conversations about our gardens and plants. He was really in touch with the environment, weather , gardening and especially vegetables !!

One of the last CDs I ordered he also sent me some of his favourite tomato seeds ( an old East German variety ). I planted them up in my greenhouse and thereafter ate them  :) DELICIOUS.

Really miss my CD orders going into FAX and communicating with Mr Namlook  :(

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2014, 09:15:47 PM »
As I'm sure I've revealed before, I'm very keen on surround music.

Pete's last 30 or so albums were released as CD + DTS-surround sets and
I'm very fond of them. There's 8 albums I'm missing and I'm hoping that
some of you on the forum might be interested in selling me the DTS disc
in one or two of these albums while retaining the CD and packaging.
(Sell me the whole thing if you like.) Here's what I'm missing:

PK 08/173 - Air V - Jeux Dangereux
PK 08/182 - Dark Side of the Moog XI
PK 08/194 - Namlook XXIV - Pearl III
PK 08/196 - Move D/Namlook XXII - Stranger II

PW 50 - 2350 Broadway - 2350 Broadway 4
PW 52 - Namlook/Montana - Labyrinth (1)
PW 55 - Namlook/Montana - Labyrinth 3
PW 56 - Namlook/Montana - Labyrinth 4

My fingers are crossed. Thanks.

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2014, 11:53:46 AM »
Scott, that's interesting, care to mention some of your favorites of his in DTS? I just last month got my surround sound setup working and am looking for more audio to listen.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2014, 05:40:47 PM »
Great to hear you have your surround active Loren. Being immersed in sound is treasure to me.

The 30ish Namlook albums I have are kind of a blur to me to recommend faves to you because I choose them somewhat randomly from their section. Last January I tried playing them in chrono-order daily with breakfast (my prime surround-sound time) while reading and the experience just left me hungry for the works. There's some sameness but they're in areas I enjoy and treat as ambient/chill while I'm reading so a 25 minute slowly evolving groove is a plus, not a minus.

The only one I know I did not enjoy was "Virtual Vices VI". The "Urban Meditation" series isn't for everyone (industrial ambient?) but you might want to try one. I recall enjoying the last (26 minute) track on "Music for Urban Meditation III (Namlook XXII) quite a bit though it's completely different from the rest of the album.

This morning I was enjoying Pearl (Namlook XXIII) so I'd recommend it. I have "Labyrinth 2 and 5" with Montana and am fond of them. The (long) series with Move D is very enjoyable if you you're cool with chilled techno grooves and voice clips. I often pull out Move D / Namlook XVII or XVIII as Lynn and I dig the feel. "Outland V" (PW 51) Pete Namlook & Bill Laswell has a much darker tone, in case that's of interest to you.

These days, unless you're up for some internet scouring, these DTS discs are getting harder to find, so you may just have to investigate what's available at a reasonable price. (Checking various Amazons (.com .ca .uk .de and 3rd party vendors) plus Discogs can turn up several options). Look for a Red DTS box in the lower left of the front cover to find the surround albums.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 05:44:18 PM by Scott M2 »

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2014, 09:34:48 AM »
I forgot to mention that Dave at Ear/Rational has a reasonable selection of the Namlook DTS albums for sale at reasonable prices:

http://www.ear-rational.com/index.php?searchparm=namlook

Wanterkeelt

• Do you know this man ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2014, 09:42:57 AM »
On Discogs you should find most of them, as you mentioned. I bought mine nearly all there, some through Amazon...

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2014, 09:48:25 AM »
I forgot to mention that Dave at Ear/Rational has a reasonable selection of the Namlook DTS albums for sale at reasonable prices:

http://www.ear-rational.com/index.php?searchparm=namlook

What I admire about Dave is his efforts to keep the Namlook Tribute box in print in physical form, so that fans don't have to pay collector's prices for it.  It's a really nice box and much of the music is good, too.

Forrest

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2014, 03:52:45 PM »
Ha!  I didn't like Virtual Vices VI either.

The problem with the Namlook Dts selection is that overall it was some of his weakest music.  Nothing worse than paying close to $30 for an album that kinda sucks.  ;D

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2014, 04:28:56 PM »
By the way, my faves of the dts releases were the Move D/Namlook, my fave being "Sexoid."

thirdsystem

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2014, 07:03:30 AM »
Most of my FAX albums were purchased on download (and we are talking a lot of albums here  :) ) I have only purchased my favourites on CD/DTS. Still have one or two to acquire however I would say my absolute faves are ....

Namlook/Moufang XX Taygete..................... Namlook XXI Subconscious World

plus Namlook/Montana Labyrinth V.

All are stunning albums and in DTS surround are pure, awesomely, wonderful.

PS   Also not keen on VV6 .....Virtual Vices 4 is however the Dogz B*llox and was my first ever FAX purchase. Hooked me right in so it did  8)