Author Topic: My review of "In White Rooms" CD by Casi Cada Minuto  (Read 677 times)

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
My review of "In White Rooms" CD by Casi Cada Minuto
« on: November 18, 2012, 11:49:30 AM »

Casi Cada Minuto "In White Rooms" CD

Slovak ambient waters are still quite shallow, fortunately thanks to acts such as Strom Noir and now Casi Cada Minuto, they are brightly shimmering. Yes, after Strom Noir here comes another promising, one-man project by Slavo Herman, acting as Casi Cada Minuto. "In White Rooms" is his debut album, released during October on Slovak Exitab label, releasing various genres like experimental, glitch, dubstep, ambient, IDM... Attractive CD wallet design and CD print is the first bonus here, executed by COFO alias Jozef Tušan. Nice work!!! Let's explore now Slavo's soundsculpting. The album opens with droney "Milk (Feat ::.: )", colored by various mechanized glitches, voices, with few distant dubstep-like fragments thrown in. Rather experimental and rawer batch of intense sounds dominate the forefront, while quietly mysterious and immensely gliding deep low dronescapes are breathing on the background. Have no idea who is hidden behind ::.:, however this is a very strong introduction of Casi Cada Minuto!!! "Hibiki" is immediately invaded by enormously relieving crystalline bell tinkles, joyfully swirling and pulsing around my ears, along with serenely spreading atmozones and few softly disrupting samples (maybe processed seagull calls or children's voices?). Rather minimal in its structure, but tremendously effective. Wow, I am deeply fascinated by this magnificently hypnotic composition!!! "Daysaver", according to Slavo's words is one of his older tracks, presented on his concerts 3-4 years ago. It keeps its trance-like mood from its predecessor, this time with sublime panoramic enchantment and bridged with assorted glitches, factory-like sounds, snaps and cracks. "Waves" unfold with circling drone, that is soon joined by nearly hallucinogenic voice transmissions and tinkles. Femme wordless voice by Mallory Knox steps in and strengthen this truly mindscaping journey. "Chievo", the shortest piece on album clocking to 3 and half minutes, moves smoothly into richly nostalgic terrains, again wrapped by the fog of experimentally infused voice fragments. "Lies & Goodbyes" unveil with lush, dreamlike intro, but soon sneaks through thicker and intense passage into more emotionally driven part highlighted by expressively poignant and sorrowful violin by Slavo's guest, Pavol Matej. The synergy between acoustics and electronics couldn't have been more efficient and alluring. Masterful outro, guys!!! "In White Rooms" album is glimmeringly cascading musical kaleidoscope, yet still enough distinctive and harmonious, filled with hidden surprises and treasures, surely a recording with many rewards. Very nice debut, Slavo!!! And don't be afraid of taking longer journey than 41 minutes only...:-)

Richard Gürtler (Nov 18, 2012, Bratislava, Slovakia)

casicadaminuto

• View Profile
Re: My review of "In White Rooms" CD by Casi Cada Minuto
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 07:51:42 AM »
Thanks for the review, Richard :)