Author Topic: My review of "Wisdom Of Fate" 2xCD by Mathias Grassow  (Read 609 times)

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
My review of "Wisdom Of Fate" 2xCD by Mathias Grassow
« on: November 24, 2012, 06:44:36 AM »

Mathias Grassow "Wisdom Of Fate" 2xCD

June 2012 was definitely a very busy month for both, German drone master Mathias Grassow and Swedish ambitious label gterma, who have released three new titles. I was focusing on "Dämmerung" some months ago, now it's time to deeply immerse into "Wisdom Of Fate" double album, inspired by the Norse mythology as continuing path of aural alchemy explored on "Alchemystery" double album. This first CD is entitled as "Alchemy Suite Part III: The Spring Of Mímir" with seven tracks while the second CD is "Alchemy Suite Part IV: The Well Of Urðr" featuring three longer compositions. The journey begins with "Out Of Time And Mind", a composition sculpted with rather subtly gliding drones blended with slower tribal beats to capture magically aerial and hypnotic mood, which precisely portrays the track title. "Across The Ífingr" is monotonously flowing drone with distant, humming percussive elements. Sharper tribals take the lead on "Knowledge of the Hrímþursar", while tranquilly mesmerizing drifts are hovering above. "The Arcanum Of Jötunheimr" dives straightly into immense abyssal realms, flavored with ghostly dissonances and spellbindingly hypnotic beats. Wow, I am deeply immersed by this, nearly 18 minutes long, richly dramatic subterranean odyssey!!! "Standing Amidst Withering Rocks" quickly returns to more static, mysteriously flavored freezing panoramas. "Gazing Deep into a Void of Eons" is another longer composition, clocking to 17 and half minutes and storming with repetitive and colossal tribal beats along with cascading and expanding dronewalls. The return of the drone king at his most monumental and shamanistic!!! The final piece of "Alchemy Suite Part III: The Spring Of Mímir" entitled "Clarity Of Mind" promptly relieves with beautifully sublime soundscape enriched by sky sailing choirs and serenely tinkling bells. Magically mesmerizing medicine!!!

"Alchemy Suite Part IV: The Well of Urðr" unveils with "That Which Has Already Been", a 28 and half minutes long dronescape, massively drifting into immense Nordic highlands gathered by dark clouds and painting truly spectacular sceneries, ranging from more absorbing monstrous and ever-changing dronezones to more magnificent and rich tribal cascades. Hugely adventurous and immersing all-inclusive sonic bliss, definitely one of the highlights!!! The next piece, "On Fragile Wings Once More Arisen" , is again wrapped by deep drone blankets, but gentle tribal grooves step to the fore here and there. Carsten Agthe adds his percussion magics on this composition, which showcases a harmonious synergy and balance between acoustics and drone expansions. More please!!! The conclusion is provided by "Twisted By The Hand Of Fate", nearly 30 minutes long piece, gliding with ever-changing and increasing grace over forested misty areas with fabulous reflections, with occasional percussive rhythmic ingredients thrown in to capture a fully mesmerizing effect. Another enormously thrilling and intriguing scenario!!!

"Wisdom Of Fate" is again stunningly portrayed by 16-page booklet. Another big one from Mathias Grassow, the iconic German drone purveyor!!! And a big one from gterma too, bravo Johan!!!

Richard Gürtler (Nov 24, 2012, Bratislava, Slovakia)

drone on

• View Profile
Re: My review of "Wisdom Of Fate" 2xCD by Mathias Grassow
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 12:54:30 PM »
I agree.  Probably the best of all the recent Grassow on gterma label.