Author Topic: Formation - A new release from Saul Stokes  (Read 1144 times)

saulstokes

• View Profile
Formation - A new release from Saul Stokes
« on: December 07, 2012, 12:03:43 PM »
HAPPY HOLIDAYS

I am pleased to announce FORMATION, my first in a series of smaller track count releases. FORMATION is 4 signature electronic tracks which carry on the vibe of Sleek Nucleus with an infusion of classic sonic textures from earlier albums like Outfolding or Zo Pilots.

http://saulstokes.bandcamp.com/album/formation

LISTEN AND DOWNLOAD

FORMATION is a name your price download. This simply means you set your own price on checkout. A suggested price of $3.00 U.S. will continue to support my future releases.

RADIO PLAY AND PRESS

If you are interested in reviewing FORMATION or adding to your radio playlist, simply enter 0 on checkout. Your download is on me!

Thank you for your continued support!

Saul

hdibrell

• View Profile
Re: Formation - A new release from Saul Stokes
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 03:58:11 PM »
Just got this yesterday and am really enjoying it. I love hearing your old analog gear back in action. Can't wait 'til the next release. Nice work, Saul!
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

darren bergstein

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 01:17:09 PM »

I am pleased to announce FORMATION, my first in a series of smaller track count releases. FORMATION is 4 signature electronic tracks which carry on the vibe of Sleek Nucleus with an infusion of classic sonic textures from earlier albums like Outfolding or Zo Pilots.

Saul

Given up on CD releases, Saul? Say it isn't so! :)
DARREN BERGSTEIN
> Periphery & Anodize / tactile visual audio / www.otperiphery.com / www.anodizesound.com
> Groupthink / wayward electroacoustic murmurings / www.groupthinksounds.com
> e: eimag@verizon.net

saulstokes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 05:27:15 PM »
HI Darren. someone elese wrote me about this so I'll just post what I wrote back to him:

I had to do some serious thinking about my previous work and what I wanted to do next. First, I was at the point where it was becoming incredibly hard to write an entire album worth of music. After 3 or 4 songs I find myself wanting to stop. Even thinking about the process of making a physical release kept me from making music. This is why It would take 1 or 2 years for me to get enough stuff together to make an album.

Over the last 4 years, I have used a service called Tunecore which delivers my music to Itunes, Emusic, Amazon, etc. Because I get statistics on what people are downloading, I know that barely any albums are selling but individual tracks are doing very well. At the same time cds haven't been selling at all. I'm lucky to sell one every 3 or 4 months now. BUT, my music online is doing better than it ever did when sold as cds. In addition, much of my music has been floating around file sharing websites so it's almost easier to just download it for free than it is to purchase it.

So, all this together made me realize it was time to set my music free in a way where those who choose to buy an album or a song could, and those who casually come by for a listen can without paying.  When I think about it, trying to monetize my music like a pop band makes no sense. The whole business aspect of my music was all wrong.

So here's the wild thing about all this. I have made more money with Formation than any other album entirely and it's been out for a few weeks AND it's free if you don't want to pay. People are putting their own value on the music.  Because of this, I feel totally free now to make the music I want to make. I can do anything I want without the weight of "business" over me. It's liberating.

I do have a few listeners who really want cds. Actually your idea of a record sounds fantastic. I did a double take a few weeks ago at Urban Outfitters as they have a record isle in there with new albums! One of my ideas is to do 3 or 4 short albums and then try and get 100 or so listeners together to pick their favorite songs from digital releases and then pick what they want to do with them. So, if enough people wanted to take 8 songs and put them on a record, we could do this. 100 people at 10 bucks a head is almost enought to do this along with hiring a graphic designer for some extra special artwork. I would basically help the process along with artwork and title etc.

So, I'm not saying physical product is out but I'm not going to follow the standard process I've been following.

Cheers,
Saul

And, thank you to everyone who has been supporting my music and this latest release. More to come very soon.

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 03:18:13 AM »
Very interesting points Saul,
I think it's could be very informative for listeners to hear how artists are striving to carry on releasing their work in a meaningful way these days.

betawave31

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 04:30:55 AM »
Hey Saul,

Greg here!

Read you post on the choice to go the download route over physical releases.

I must say I am old school in the sense I do not even have a cd player in my car that plays mp3s so cd's and cd-r's are a must for mobility on the roadways.

However I whole heartily agree with the download sales being robust as my own music sales are derived mainly from the digital domain and for years its been this way. As much as you want to fight the tide you need to give the masses the musical ocean to bathe in!

I will personally still press physical cds/cdr's in limited batches for the sheer personal desire  and for those few supporting fans (I am not mincing words here) who like me want music in a physical medium. No matter how much people on the forums of various sites preach their dislike of limited pressings at the end of the day the sales don't justify pressing copious quantities to take up shelf space.

Saul any chance you might think of re-releasing Burning Igloo for download?

Good luck on your endeavors and thanks for sharing your experiences with the rest of us.

saulstokes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 05:00:16 PM »
Thanks Pete,

Hi Greg, funny you should mention this. I have thinking about putting it up with my other stuff. In fact, I recently digitally pulled it off the dat tape. I was holding back because a few songs sound a bit, well, amateur. However, it's a pretty fun listen and not many people have heard it.  Should I put it up?

saulstokes

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 01:09:55 PM »
http://saulstokes.bandcamp.com/album/burning-igloo

I want to take the opportunity to thank all of you for your support with my latest release Formation. To all of you you who have been listening to my music since the 90's, I thought it was time to make my first demo tape available to you. Not many people have heard it. Of course, some of you discovered my music through FUTURE MUSIC in 1995 with the track Haight Pacifica. This is the demo tape I sent to Future music which eventually made it's way to Hypnos Recordings.  Burning Igloo is a FREE thank you for such great support over the years. Please enter 0 on check out. Look forward to more music in 2013!

Cheers!

Saul

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 01:34:22 PM »
Cool, Saul! I like your idea of sharing this. Good memories.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions