Author Topic: How to delivery music? CDR vs FLAC download  (Read 1324 times)

solyaris

• http://solyaris.altervista.org
    • View Profile
How to delivery music? CDR vs FLAC download
« on: December 13, 2012, 07:35:06 AM »
Hi guys,
( btw, I please administrators to move where they want my post if it is in the wrong place )

premise:
until now I sold/gifted my music as CDrs.
That have been the natural way until some years ago, to supply the better audio quality.

As listener, I personally Icontinue to think that's  preferred way to listen music,
music that require "high-fidelity", possibly to be listened far from laptop/mobile devices/phones... argh!!!

In recent times, people (and myself mmhhhh :-( ) used to listen also from MP3 / FLAC files,
so I'm deciding now to deliver my music also as FLAC download.

I suppose this possible flow:
a) sell with a standard paypal payment a digital album
b) use dropbox.com or similar file store web services to let people download encrypted file containing FLAC encoded tracks.
c) get feedbacks from listeners/friends saying something like "Giorgio, was better your previous album..." or similar ;-)

Questions to both music producers and listeners too:

1. Do you retain FLAC a suitable format to delivery hi-fy digital music ?
Or it's convenient pheraps some MP3 high quality encoding (maybe because MP3 is more supported by portable music players)  ?

2. Do you have experience using dropbox.com or similar services (letting HTTP download) instead of using FTP old approach etc. 

3. What is the "market" price of a digital album in 2012 ?

4. Do you listen ambient/electronic music also using digital files (MP3 or whatever) ?
Do you really listen with mobile devices (tablet/phones/etc.) ?

Any idea is welcome / thanks
giorgio

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
Re: How to delivery music? CDR vs FLAC download
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 01:55:28 PM »
I've been thinking about this a bit too. My conclusion without a lot of research is I would probably end up using bandcamp for distribution of FLAC and other downloadable files, I wouldn't bother with my own dedicated site or using something like dropbox for distribution.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 02:15:23 PM »
I agree with Loren, Bandcamp is pretty much set up for FLAC.

El culto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 02:54:59 PM »
For Bandcamp: I would be a bit more careful and critical for this service.

At the end itīs a company which need to earn money, although their fees are rather decent at the moment (!). But 2 points should be considered:

1. Depending on the business strategy of companies (especially those which offer at the beginning a rather attractive service) you can never be sure it will last for a long time.

2. This interacts with point 1 - if they decide to change rules more or less you have to except their rules (i.e increasing of fees) and - it in a way - it makes you dependent on their services (especially if you have created a fan base on this sites over the years which are then used to find your music only there).

Personally, I donīt like such dependencies when it comes to my music and I would always try to find a solution (even it needs more work) which leaves me the freedom of decisions. The experiences how a lot of these companies are working (and changing things after they have a lot of customers - see currently Facebook) makes me always critical even the "at the moment service" sounds great and rather attractive.

Cheers,
Tomas

solyaris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 03:20:42 PM »
ciao Tomas,

I agree, personally I have been critical with Bandcamp rules at  first glance, leaving it immediately!

for my (our) "niche" realm, all these "big" mainstream channels
are not too useful immo,
I experienced cdbaby and through it amazon/itunes... a flop.
By example have been almost impossible to agree the final price with cdbaby (mainly with his third parties digital distributors like amazon and itunes.
non accetable my side that itunes decide proces against my will!

Probably the real point is that I do not like intermediator and fee-makers.
and I enjoy to have a "direct" producer-to-consumer link ...

But technically, what do you think regarding my "individualistic" proposed flow ?

giorgio

El culto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 04:22:40 PM »
ciao Tomas,

I agree, personally I have been critical with Bandcamp rules at  first glance, leaving it immediately!

for my (our) "niche" realm, all these "big" mainstream channels
are not too useful immo,
I experienced cdbaby and through it amazon/itunes... a flop.
By example have been almost impossible to agree the final price with cdbaby (mainly with his third parties digital distributors like amazon and itunes.
non accetable my side that itunes decide proces against my will!

Probably the real point is that I do not like intermediator and fee-makers.
and I enjoy to have a "direct" producer-to-consumer link ...

But technically, what do you think regarding my "individualistic" proposed flow ?

giorgio

Hi Giorgio,

by reading your issues, the only thing what i can say is "do it yourself"!  :)

No doubt, this needs of course investigations and work from your part but in today there are so many programs on the market to build your own website including a shop for physical and digital music with Paypal option (for example Joomla or other CMS - Content Management Systems). Of course it needs a bit learning but you end up with freedom.

For i-tunes: For me this is the worst portal/service iīve ever experienced. I simply call their service "dictatorship" as you donīt have any control about ANYTHING. Also with the rest of Appleīs idea it goes like this: What they say or offer is seen as something like "divine" and all the disciple have to follow (or will by choice). I have some "outside" release where the labels decided to sell via i-tunes and when i see the reports by the end of the year it just makes my smile  ;D I prefer to deny an amount of payment worthy for a restaurant visit and not to be a slave of this sick system where only Apple wins and makes the rules.

Unfortunately a lot of artists are not critical enough about the "whole" or too innocent, especially newcomers, which into today wanting just quick, impressing and personal pleasing results ("wooow my music is now worldwide available").

Cheers,
Tomas

solyaris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 01:09:16 AM »
non accetable my side that itunes decide prices against my will!

thanks Tomas,

by reading your issues, the only thing what i can say is "do it yourself"!  :)

is what I always done in my life :-)

[IT DIGRESSION]
build your own website including a shop for physical and digital music with Paypal option (for example Joomla or other CMS - Content Management Systems).

You are right,
at the moment my choice is: simple static html + paypal cart.

joomla ? I hate php and mysql! don'you know I'm a ruby-man and mongodb objectifier ?!
i'm joking... :-) but seriously probably in future i'll remake my small website using only javascript client side and server side (nodejs) ...just for fun ?! uhhh :-)

[BLOODY APPLE DIGRESSION]

For i-tunes: For me this is the worst portal/service iīve ever experienced. I simply call their service "dictatorship" as you donīt have any control about ANYTHING. Also with the rest of Appleīs idea it goes like this:

I completely agree. bloody Apple.
I have been an Apple user and software programmer for years... almost 20 years ago.
But now Apple have become for my eyes a BAD "status symbol".
ok, Apple is not different from many other hw/sw companies.
But what I hate is the hypocrisy of the "think different" and the presumtion they are "better".

Now I will no more talk about these topics in this forum,
because I'm not interested to flame on "political" issues,
I would avoid (language) misunderstanding
has happened here in these forum years ago. 

Indeed really I would like to collect ideas about the main subject of the topic I proposed
(FLAC/MP3, price, ono-to-one delivery experiences, etc.);
any point of view is welcome!

Unfortunately a lot of artists are not critical enough about the "whole" or too innocent, especially newcomers, which into today wanting just quick, impressing and personal pleasing results ("wooow my music is now worldwide available").

yes, in facts I posted my questions here in this forum, populated by non-newcomers musicians&listeners :-)

giorgio
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 01:13:32 AM by solyaris »