Author Topic: Steve Roach - Soul Tones - 2012  (Read 2594 times)

Poaalpina

• View Profile
Steve Roach - Soul Tones - 2012
« on: December 14, 2012, 04:46:30 PM »
New long-form work is available at Bandcamp in digital format.
http://steveroach.bandcamp.com/album/soul-tones

Now you can listen to full album before you buy.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 04:48:14 PM by Poaalpina »
Ambient DNA

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
Re: Steve Roach - Soul Tones - 2012
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 05:07:57 PM »
Whoa... Roach on Bandcamp? Cool!  ;D
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

Poaalpina

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 05:31:54 PM »
High Resolution Downloads

After many requests, we are finally starting to present select titles as uncompressed (lossless) downloads. Choose your format: MP3 320, FLAC, Apple Lossless, and more. Structures From Silence is the first title up, with more to follow soon, including the brand-new Tales From the Ultra Tribe. Then again, with a traditional CD in-hand, you'll have a copy of the master for any conversion rate you desire.

Sigh of Ages, Strictures of Silence and Groove Immersion available too.

What a masterpiece...  A symphony for cloudy sky.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 06:10:24 PM by Poaalpina »
Ambient DNA

phobos

• No choice is a choice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 02:35:11 PM »
Amazing, this is good news :)
http://soundcloud.com/phobos-2
http://phobos.bandcamp.com/
http://phobos-ambient.moonfruit.com/
"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."Leopold Stokowski

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 07:20:35 PM »
Indeed....very exciting.  It is quite a statement!

Antdude

• I was told there would be no math
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 02:07:34 AM »
Great news indeed. I'm listening to it now, and really enjoying it. I'll probably buy this and Groove Immersion after Christmas. And although it's nice to be able to download from somewhere other than iTunes or Amazon, especially in FLAC(!), I'm going to keep buying his physical CDs as long as it makes sense for him to produce them.

I know, it's so 2002, but I still have a thing for holding a CD(with artwork or a custom-made box) in my hands. I'm sure it's a holdover from handling my vinyl records with care and love as I prepared for the ritual of immersing myself in the music. Some things are hard to let go of, but as more musicians like Steve and Saul Stokes and others move their music into a purely digital realm, I suppose we will have to accept the inevitable, cling to our shiny plastic curios and catch new music as it is released into the digital aether.
There is no spoon. Which sucks because I have a pudding cup.

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 07:20:53 AM »
Some things are hard to let go of, but as more musicians like Steve and Saul Stokes and others move their music into a purely digital realm, I suppose we will have to accept the inevitable, cling to our shiny plastic curios and catch new music as it is released into the digital aether.

I feel a lot has to do with Bandcamp itself....high resolution downloads up to 24 bit resolution, easy navigation for the listener,  super friendly for the artist as well as a real sense of individuality for each artist site.  I am going to shut down my own website and just use Bandcamp for all future releases......I have searched hard for a digital home for my music and Bandcamp is so far ahead of the crowd IMHO.  As established musicians such as Steve Roach, Saul Stokes & Alpha Wave Moment create a Hi Res digital existence @ Bandcamp, I hope it will inspire others to follow and fans such as myself can have access to quality sound that was once only available in physical cd format.   

Poaalpina

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 07:54:47 AM »
Ian Boddy also moved whole back catalog on Bandcamp. And even cd orderings.
Ambient DNA

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 08:50:00 AM »
And although it's nice to be able to download from somewhere other than iTunes or Amazon, especially in FLAC(!), I'm going to keep buying his physical CDs as long as it makes sense for him to produce them.

Same here, but having the ability to hear a whole release before making the decision to buy is great.
For the record, I'm definitely purchasing Soul Tones.
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

phobos

• No choice is a choice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 10:44:21 AM »
Same here, but having the ability to hear a whole release before making the decision to buy is great.
For the record, I'm definitely purchasing Soul Tones.

I agree, it is good to be able to hear the whole release before purchasing. I too will be getting the CD after Christmas, it sounds great.
http://soundcloud.com/phobos-2
http://phobos.bandcamp.com/
http://phobos-ambient.moonfruit.com/
"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."Leopold Stokowski

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 11:18:39 AM »
Great news indeed. I'm listening to it now, and really enjoying it. I'll probably buy this and Groove Immersion after Christmas. And although it's nice to be able to download from somewhere other than iTunes or Amazon, especially in FLAC(!), I'm going to keep buying his physical CDs as long as it makes sense for him to produce them.

I know, it's so 2002, but I still have a thing for holding a CD(with artwork or a custom-made box) in my hands. I'm sure it's a holdover from handling my vinyl records with care and love as I prepared for the ritual of immersing myself in the music. Some things are hard to let go of, but as more musicians like Steve and Saul Stokes and others move their music into a purely digital realm, I suppose we will have to accept the inevitable, cling to our shiny plastic curios and catch new music as it is released into the digital aether.

Roach never said he was moving to a purely digital realm.  He is probably reluctantly joining bandcamp as he did itunes because there is a demand for it.  As he said, a physical cd is the "master." That doesn't sound purely digital to me.  I will continue to only use downloads only if there is no cd of a certain release.  Also, just because Saul doesn't sell many cds doesnt mean cds are dead or obsolete.  I would argue his cds never sold that well to begin with. 

jdh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 03:19:37 AM »
As a consumer of music,not a creator,Bandcamp is my favorite download site at the moment. I Tunes is the largest but the 256 limit disturbs me. Boomkat have the largest selection of my type of music but are expensive as it charges in pounds though site is very well done.Bandcamp let you listen to all the tracks,a huge bonus for me as a 30 second clip does not work.You can choose Lossless or Flac at no additional charge. The lay out is well done and artistic. I really like their new beta test site.I have very little attachment to the physical product anymore. I have surprised myself there coming from the days of LPs,cassettes,CDs but as long as I get it in lossless form and I back up,it is OK.
BTW,3 new Biosphere albums out there. Film soundtracks. Not much new unfortunately.