Author Topic: Your Use of Reverb  (Read 1470 times)

| broken harbour |

• View Profile
    • official website
Your Use of Reverb
« on: December 18, 2012, 12:50:32 PM »
Here's a question for you knowlegable types...

I'm currently working on a track for a compilation, I have the basic elements completed, synth patches mostly, no percussion elements.  When played back dry (no effects) it is missing something, a little flat, reverb gives it a nice, expansive sound, but it introduces a considerable amount of mud.  It almost sounds like 'First Light' from Immersion 3 by Steve Roach, while I like that album, it wasn't the sound I was going for.

I've tried eq'ing the source sounds, eq'ing the reverb, and I've run each sound source through multiple layers of small reverb, and also put one big reverb on a bus and run all tracks into it just to see what it sounds like. It still sounds a tad too muddy.

So my question is... how do you use reverb on your ambient-ish tunes? 

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
Re: Your Use of Reverb
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 02:25:18 PM »
It sounds like you have the right idea, with EQing the tracks so they're more distinct from each other. Try putting reverb on individual tracks, but not all of them, rather than on the entire mix.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 02:51:25 PM »
If its not muddy and is overall well-balanced to begin with, then look for the track (or a couple) that reverb would best suit and try different amounts on that track alone. Of course, there is no one method, and reverb varies considerably depending on how large a space is emulated, how long the tail, and how wet it is. Adding too much is easy. Muddy is bad.

Reverb spreads/widens things, and tends to put them farther back in a mix. When you only put the reverb on one track/sound, it leaves the other tracks clean and available for panning.

I will sometimes use reverb in conjunction with a stereo widener. Often it is the widening that will make a piece sound fuller.

I will often duplicate a track and add a little reverb + widening to that, then bring in some of it to the final mix. This leaves all the original tracks clean.

Just some ideas. I've found there is no one way in these matters. It is all song dependent.

APK
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 04:23:47 PM »
You might try bouncing the mix or some of the mix onto a stereo pair with completely wet reverb (ie no original dry sound) - you can then mix that back into the whole mix - either at a steady level you are happy with or adjusting the level throughout the track for variety.

you can try different reverbs like this until you find one you like - or even a couple of different reverbs and then mix them in and out of each other for another style of variety.

this way you keep the original dry sound and can mix the reverb sounds to avoid the muddiness - a subtle hint of sound that shifts and moves almost subliminally rather than in your face REVERB

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 05:13:14 AM »
Using reverb for me is firstly a visual experience......I imagine a sound stage, perhaps a favorite concert venue, some physical building or something more abstract   Once I have this in mind I start to place tracks in certain areas of this stage using reverb and panning as well as fx to create motion.  This method so to speak works best when the music is complete and is in the mixing stage. 

During actual recording I will always audition synth patches with hardware fx & reverb in bypass and engaged and toggle between the two to sense how the particular patch feels as the music develops.  Adding dry tracks along side tracks with heavy reverb creates space and can also help cut through that ambient mud I love to roll around in.

| broken harbour |

• View Profile
    • official website
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 04:54:32 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys, using a few of them, I was able to clean it up to my satisfaction.

(It still sounds like 'First Light'  which is.....good?  :P )

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 05:44:43 PM »
Given most of "First Light" has a huge rolloff with nothing much happening above 5kHz (except for a section between 36min to 58min), that would explain the muddy sound. Perhaps including another element (soft) living in the upper frequencies would give you the air you're looking for?

And even if it does sound like "Fight Light", there's certainly nothing wrong with that.

Ambient: No rules.  ;)
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 01:33:42 AM »
I use mostly Lexicon PCM Native right now. I use never more then 28% wet signal...I think it is a common mistake by many to use to much reverb... and especially in the ambient genre..it is really bad to us too much, when it kills all transients...you kill the whole essence of the sound.. and it becomes just a reverb ghost.

I will receive my Eventide H8000FW next week.. maybe it will be different... every reverb is different..
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 01:39:13 AM by Immersion »