Author Topic: Why won't some CDR's play in my portable???  (Read 1217 times)

drone on

• View Profile
Why won't some CDR's play in my portable???
« on: December 18, 2012, 04:21:34 PM »
I use a portable CD player at work and at home in bed.  It's an Insignia, which is the Best Buy brand. 

This player will play all my home-burned/blank CDR's without labels.  It will NOT play any sticky-label type CDR's, or most commercially manufactured CDR's with the "silk screen/solid enamel" type label surface, which is really surprising.  Almost all CDR's made by Kunaki will not play on it. 

This morning I tried playing the new AWM disc (which has the silk screen/solid enamel type surface) and it wouldn't play, but it WOULD play my Thom Brennan "Mountains" CDR, which seems to have the exact same type of surface.

By the way, all these CDR's play perfectly on my Sony 5-disc changer for my home system, and in my car's CD player. 

Any idea what could cause these not to play on the portable?  I'm probably going to get another portable, but I am curious nonetheless.     

| broken harbour |

• View Profile
    • official website
Re: Why won't some CDR's play in my portable???
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 04:39:59 PM »
What about a modern portable music player?  I hate MP3's as much as the next guy, but I use my Ipod at work and for late night listening when I can't sleep, as much as I don't like the sound quality, I find the convenience of having my entire CD collection at my finger tips at all times is worth it.

In the rare case I get a CDR that won't play in a commercial cd player, I can still play it on my ipod, also that way the CD and case don't get damaged by transporting them around, and I won't lose it either.  I have some ultra limited editions of things (Less than 25 copies) and the main reason I bought an Ipod was because I didn't want them to leave my house.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 05:13:48 PM »
I like MP3's as much as the next guy, 8) and play almost all the stuff I listen to as MP3. Which I play through good speakers. It's the speakers that make all the difference ... it's not any lack of mp3 quality.

If my 2 Insignia flat screen tv's from Best Buy are anything to go by, your player is probably not so good. :(  But maybe your particular player is just constructed a little off, because its odd that it plays some things and not others. Silk screen is the standard commercial format for disk graphics - CD and CDR. Very odd that some play and not others. The pick-up head may be out of alignment, for example.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 11:35:36 AM »
Thanks for the info! You're right, Insignia probably isn't the best brand, my portable only cost $20.  But it is weird how it plays all my home burned CDR's but not the ones with labels. 

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 02:04:01 PM »
What about a modern portable music player?  I hate MP3's as much as the next guy, but I use my Ipod at work and for late night listening when I can't sleep, as much as I don't like the sound quality, I find the convenience of having my entire CD collection at my finger tips at all times is worth it.

Of course you could rip your CDs in iTunes using Apple's Lossless format if you want CD quality in your ipod, that's what I do now. The files are larger but I feel it is worth it for the better quality.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell