HYPNOS RECORDINGS > Hypnos News and Announcements

2012 feedback? 2013 suggestions?

(1/3) > >>

mgriffin:
I'd like to invite forum visitors, especially those familiar with the music Hypnos has released, to offer feedback about the year nearly past, and suggestions for what we might do in the future.

The environment for selling music is increasingly inhospitable. While Hypnos is still doing OK, and not in any danger of disappearing, I think it makes sense to check in with everyone, and get your ideas for what we might do better.

What could we do to make you want to support Hypnos in the coming year? What kinds of music could we carry in our store? Which recording artists should we release on our label?

Maybe we should have ambient music tryouts, create a reality TV show, and call it "Hypnos Got Talent."

OK, maybe not. Still, let us know what you think. We're not looking for praise, really. What can we do better? What should a label like ours do to make itself relevant in the current environment? Do you like the look of our recent CD releases, or should we be doing something different? Are there artists we're neglecting who would make a good fit for our label?

Any feedback appreciated, even from people who aren't customers of our store or listeners to our music. If you're interested, and have honest suggestions, we'd like to hear.

Thanks in advance.

Dave Fulton:
Don't go changing... To try and please me....

petekelly:
I would imagine that being a label that sticks to physical media only to release and sell on, Hypnos may well carry on a 'niche' outlet in the ambient world.

Out of interest, how many albums did Hypnos release last year and what's the release plan for the near future ?

Things are changing so fast and even established artists are giving their music away now. CD / CD-R runs are becoming rarer and are released in decreasingly smaller numbers. Saul Stokes made a good point recently, wher ehe refered to his recent 'pay what you like' album on Bandcamp, this could be where things are going.       

chris23:
I agree with folks who have noted that the physical CD releases are a nice feature of Hypnos. Moreover, Hypnos has a great aesthetic identity.

My only constructive suggestion is that there may be some value in releasing digital downloads in addition to physical CDs. There are some Hypnos releases that I would have gladly paid $7 for as a download, but couldn't bring myself to pay $13 + S/H because I wasn't awestruck by the sound clips. (I don't have a lot of money available for music, so I try to resist the temptation to pick something up just to have it.) Occasionally I'll see a Hypnos release on iTunes, but I assume those albums are being released via the artist and not via Hypnos per se.

I think the secret sounds releases would be a particularly good testing ground for digital releases. A "pay what you want" model could produce unexpected interest that would feedback on itself to generate attention, new listeners, etc.

I realize you're jesting with the "Hypnos got Talent" idea, but, if you wanted to spice things up, something like that could be fun. Hypnos has a reputation for releasing excellent compilations. It might be fun to have a competition of sorts where artists submit tracks, those are rated by interested forum listeners, and then a "best of" compilation is released at the end of the year. (Perhaps digitally, to keep the costs down.)

Another off-the-wall idea (not really a suggestion--just a brainstorm): I know you're a writer and an active reader, Mike. It might be interesting to release a few stories along with a soundtrack designed or selected for the story. This isn't a novel idea; I recall Current 93 doing this for a Ligotti story about a decade ago. But I don't know if that idea has been fully exploited.

| broken harbour |:

--- Quote from: chris23 on December 19, 2012, 06:57:00 AM ---My only constructive suggestion is that there may be some value in releasing digital downloads in addition to physical CDs.

I think the secret sounds releases would be a particularly good testing ground for digital releases. A "pay what you want" model could produce unexpected interest that would feedback on itself to generate attention, new listeners, etc.

--- End quote ---

I think both of these ideas are great, I'm a physical media guy personally, but I will buy downloads of out of print albums if I have to.  Perhaps there would be value in digitally releasing out of print Hypnos albums?  Basically no up front cost...
(unless you already do that, I haven't really looked at the hypnos store for a little while...)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version