Author Topic: My review of "Eolian Reflections" CDr by Alpha Wave Movement  (Read 561 times)

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
My review of "Eolian Reflections" CDr by Alpha Wave Movement
« on: December 20, 2012, 01:00:19 PM »

Alpha Wave Movement "Eolian Reflections" CDr

The master of tranquilly illuminating soundscapes, Gregory Kyryluk acting as Alpha Wave Movement, returns again through Darren Bergstein's Periphery label. His first appearance on this label was with his Within Reason project and I must say that "Subtle Shift" was a real masterwork in cyber-tech electronica, in my ears still one of the best 2012 albums. "Eolian Reflections", released at the beginning of September 2012, return to quieter terrains with slowly expanding and panoramic ambience. As usual for this crafted composer, based in Dover, Massachusetts, he delivers highly sophisticated and elegant soundsculpting filled with emotional depth and warm leisure, masterfully evoking barren landscapes. Beautifully entitled "Canyon Reverie" unfolds graciously with serenely floating drifts, showcasing all AWM's trademarks, where sublime and dreamy washes are hauntingly fused with semi-melodic tapestries and crystalline bell tinkles, all together painting a 13-minute long scenery of sheer wonder, majesty and immensity, just like the deep canyons with monumental plateaus, a truly breathtaking spectacles I must say!!! Both, fragile and massive tribal percussions flavor tranquil expanses of "Cliff Dwellers Dominion", with hints of Native American flute ingredients, plus few aboriginal didge snores and barks are ingeniously thrown here and there. Lushly galvanizing and mysteriously absorbing soundscape displaying filigree artistry of its designer, musically superior and deep!!! An immediate Ambient Hall Of Fame candidate!!! "Dune Reflections" are rather minimal, more meditative, enriched occasionally with harmonious sonic outbursts, cavernous rumbles and organic swirls. This composition offers utterly pleasurable and evocative listening experience to mesmerize and sedate each listener. "Full Moon At Window Arch" is another gorgeously entitled composition, precisely portraying the full beauty of nocturnal life of natural wonders like Utah's Window Arches. Again enriched with warmly inviting melodic fragments and ethereal soars, accompanied by captivating tribal pulses and blanketed by warm and lazy desert nightscapes with chirping birds and cicadas. Primordial journey at its most placid!!! "Natural Geometry" unfolds with deep and distant drones, but soon mid-tempo melodies with celestial infusions invade the stage creating the most textured composition on this journey. In the second half some catchy Southwestern-resonant strings join this stunningly adventurous and intriguing tune, painting pictures surrounded by heat and sand, and recalling sceneries of abandoned places of ghost towns. Awesome!!! "The Crossroads Of Time And Silence", the final, 10 and half minutes long piece is carried by sublimely ebbing and flowing dronescapes, always strongly immersing and again cleverly flavored with few more intense bonds, evoking a raw landscape of spectacular beauty and immense power. A perfect way to close!!! Carefully executed "Eolian Reflections" album is another proof of giant talent and potential of Gregory Kyryluk. And another masterpiece after "Subtle Shift"!!! And by the way, when publishing these lines, a brand new release entitled "Exiled Particles Volume I - Archive 1997-2005" has been released on Gregory's own Harmonic Resonance Recordings, so I definitely stay tuned for more of Alpha Wave Movement's highly imaginative soundscapes. This guy definitely deserves so much more than he gets!!!

Richard Gürtler (Dec 20, 2012, Bratislava, Slovakia)

darren bergstein

• View Profile
Re: My review of "Eolian Reflections" CDr by Alpha Wave Movement
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 11:51:12 AM »
Thanks as always for the kind words, Richard!

A number of important developments on the Periphery front forthcoming for 2013 - updates here on the forum, and on other forums, soon.

DARREN BERGSTEIN
> Periphery & Anodize / tactile visual audio / www.otperiphery.com / www.anodizesound.com
> Groupthink / wayward electroacoustic murmurings / www.groupthinksounds.com
> e: eimag@verizon.net

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 12:44:28 PM »
I agree, fantastic awm album and a highlight for me of 2012.  There's a physical copy for sale at discogs I saw.  Only $85.   8)

jim02

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 04:49:02 AM »
indeed a very nice album with a classic ambient feelin'!
wish it was released on CD.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 01:01:03 AM by jim02 »