Author Topic: My review of "Beyond The Veil" CDr by Aestrata  (Read 513 times)

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
My review of "Beyond The Veil" CDr by Aestrata
« on: January 05, 2013, 04:38:59 AM »

Aestrata "Beyond The Veil" CDr

Aestrata is the new name of project driven by German drone purveyor Tomas Weiss, at least according to the information I have, because more detailed credits are wrapped by the majestic thick foggy blankets of the stunning cover image by Jesse Harrison. Firstly used as an album title in 2010 in his notable collaboration with another German drone monster, Mathias Grassow. Released at November 2012 as limited edition of 100 pieces on El Culto's Musical Philosophy. Sculpted of four compositions, continually entitled "Beyond I" to "Beyond IV", all clocking between 7 and half and 18-plus minutes. "Beyond I", the shortest piece, unfolds straightly with tranquilly expanding dronescapes. Yes, still quite serene and monotonous, although the dronewall is getting more massive with every minute. Tides of slightly noisier dissonances on the background can be examined as well, but otherwise a truly flatlined drone leads this mind journey. The next composition, the longest one, "Beyond II" is invaded by gracious aerial drifts, slowly expanding into colossal dimensions, which are distinctive characteristic of these Germans. Quite celestial at times with above hovering choir-like washes, but always interacting with evolving drone monstrosity with ever-changing intensity and thickness. Occasionally backed by distant tinkles and swirls. Soundscaping can't be more immersing and transporting like "Beyond II", a truly mind-blowing sonic ecstasy awaits each journeyer!!! "Beyond III" reveals more relieving drifts with slightly mysterious chamber-like feel. But again enriched by few tinkles and futuristic sound injections and breaths. A perfect soundtrack for a free fall dive into giant sinkhole!!! "Beyond IV" strikes immediately with massive shadowy drone, harmoniously and mesmerizingly circling with monochromatic layers. A deeply relaxing finale for my ears!!! "Beyond The Veil" is another absolutely thrilling and rewarding sonic odyssey by one of the most respected drone wizards!!! Not to forget, yesterday Tomas Weiss has just announced the 2nd volume of "Submental" series entitled "Wintersilence", so stay tuned for, this time more tranquil reflections. Also in the pipeline is Emotone project, a collaboration between Tomas Weiss and Tania Giannouli, composer and pianist from Athens, Greece. Join El Culto!!!

Richard Gürtler (Jan 05, 2013, Bratislava, Slovakia)

El culto

• View Profile
Re: My review of "Beyond The Veil" CDr by Aestrata
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 01:44:08 PM »
Almost overlooked it - Thanks Richard!

Just posted it in the original thread - If some is interested, there is very soon an airplay today in German State Radio (internet broadcast as well)

http://www.hypnos.com/smf/index.php?topic=5474.0

Greetings,
Tomas