Author Topic: William Basinski- where to start?  (Read 800 times)

jdh

• View Profile
William Basinski- where to start?
« on: January 16, 2013, 12:05:32 AM »
I have heard about this artist but finally got around to read reviews. I am may behind the trends after 25 years of collecting but just getting to this guy.The reviews,especially the Loops series,are so positive it is nearly unreal. 5 out of 5, 100% plus,music from the heavens,ambient king ( better than Eno)The hype is unreal. So,where do I start? A 90 second sample on itunes is not the best place. I understand the technical end of the Loops series,to me nothing new there  Disintegrating tape,I still have used tape from my old Revox,I should check the tape out. Thanks.

mystified

• View Profile
    • Mystified Homepage
Re: William Basinski- where to start?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 10:02:09 AM »
I have all of the "Disintegration Loops", and would say, to be honest, that just one cd of them is good for a start. They are all very similar, and each loop has a consistent and melancholy effect.

I think the loops were a good idea and Basinski is great-- but "Better than Eno?"-- hrm. Not sure.
Thomas Park
Mystified / Mister Vapor

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 06:55:19 PM »
I agree, maybe starting off with just one of the loops would be a good idea.  I'd go for Disint Loops #1.  One of my other favs is "Melancholia."

jdh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 10:15:48 PM »
Thanks so far. Any one heard Water music? I will start with Loops 1.
" better than Eno" was straight from a Pitchfork review.
Yesterday I plugged in my trusty Revox B77 in with a few of my old tapes and sure enough,they were not in the best shape.

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 07:15:24 PM »
I have Water Music II.  I'm listening right now & had forgotten how nice it is.  It's very repetitive, like all of his stuff, very soothing.