Author Topic: Spotify - your experiences ?  (Read 1303 times)

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
Spotify - your experiences ?
« on: January 17, 2013, 09:32:05 AM »
Wondering what people's experiences of Spotify are ? Listeners and artists, alike.
cheers, Pete

« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 11:00:17 AM by petekelly »

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
Re: Spotify - your experiences ?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 11:29:23 AM »
I have the free version so after listening to one or two songs I get commercials so I tend to just turn it off. Actually I haven't even bothered to turn it on for months now. As an artist I have never gotten a single cent from them which is understandable for many reason, but mostly because it is so skewed away from artists making any money that hardly anyone does. You have to have millions of plays just to make $1000.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 12:33:47 PM »
Sam Rosenthal pulled Projekt releases from Spotify a year ago because they essentially pay artists almost nothing.  Here's an excerpt:

"Spotify claims, "The overwhelming majority of our indie label partners are thrilled with the revenues we're returning to them." Honestly, I doubt that is true. Spotify further claims to be "monetizing an audience the large majority of whom were downloading illegally (and therefore not making a penny for the industry) before Spotify was available."

Yes, it is true that torrents gave no artists any money. Spotify gives all artists almost no money.

For a stream on Spotfy.... NOW READ THIS CLOSELY..... on average $0.0013 is paid to Projekt's Digital Distributor. 5000 plays generates around $6.50. In comparison, 5000 track downloads at iTunes generates $3487. To be clear: I am not suggesting that every stream would have been a sale at iTunes. Believe me, I understand the reality of the music business. I am providing that as a comparison for you. Let's look at this another way: To earn the U.S. monthly minimum wage - $1160 - 892,307 plays a month are needed at Spotify. This is not a viable number for artists.

You have probably seen this article in The Guardian; over a five-month period, 1-million plays of Lady Gaga's hit 'Poker Face' earned just $167. Really.

I talk about this with my 9-year-old son; he fully understands we all have a basic right to earn a paycheck for our work. See this chart for a comparison of how much is earned via different sales formats. To earn the U.S. monthly minimum wage - $1160 - 892,307 plays a month are needed at Spotify. This is not a viable number for artists. It is not that we are even aiming for the minimum wage. We only desire something equitable. $0.0013 per play is not.

In the world I want to live in, I envision artists fairly compensated for their creations, because we (the audience) believe in the value of what artists create. The artist's passion, dedication and expression is respected and rewarded. Spotify is NOT a service that does this. Projekt will not be part of this unprincipled concept."

http://www.projekt.com/newsarticles/projekt-spotify.asp

Forrest

Antdude

• I was told there would be no math
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 02:50:19 PM »
I also use the free version. I find it useful for linking to a track or two on Twitter, which I suppose is a good way to advertise an artist to a larger audience, but frankly it's mostly for '80's new wave nostalgia. As a player, there are so many other, better options out there. And obviously, it isn't that great for artists if multiple plays only give them a fraction of a penny in royalties.
There is no spoon. Which sucks because I have a pudding cup.

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 12:55:18 PM »
I don't use Spotify as such, so that's why I was curious regarding the listener 'experience'.
Apparently that Lady Gaga article is pretty much out of date, here's an interesting recent article:
http://www.godisinthetvzine.co.uk/2012/08/08/going-skint-for-a-living-to-spotify-or-not-to-spotify-2/

I'm starting to get more royalties from Spotify, still tiny amounts, but much more than before. Perhaps it has a value to artists regarding some kind of airplay / exposure thing and even if they pay you next to nothing, listeners (and there seems to be a fair number of them) may decide to buy your work ?

'crap' and 'useless' ?  tell us what do you really think, Tomas :)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 12:57:58 PM by petekelly »

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 09:06:21 PM »
Hi Pete,

Glad to hear you're at least getting something from Spotify.  The model just doesn't work for me and I doubt things have improved that much, payment-wise, at least not enough for to rethink what Sam has done.  With Pandora campaigning to reduce royalty payments for streaming, things are likely to get worse before they get better.  Starving artist?--been there, done that--it's not fun.

Forrest
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 09:26:29 PM by ffcal »

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 09:35:08 AM »
Hi Forrest,
I take your point and they are ripping off artists if they're charging 10 a month for their service, which I think is a lot.

However, I see it as an airplay thing primarily and if it gets my music heard by lots of people, then I'm all for that. I could be naively mistaken about the whole thing, mind...

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 12:14:21 PM »
As a listener I use the free version and I use it mainly at work.  Aside from the issues surrounding royalties I like using it for discovering new music.  I subscribe to playlists maintained by friends and I like to see what new stuff they are adding.

I like discovering playlists posted in articles & blogs as way to find music as well.  I remember the New York Times msuic writers writing about the CMJ music festival last year.  Both writers talked about bands that they really liked and then posted Spotify links.  All I had to do was click the link to listen to all the music they referred to in the article.  A great way to supplement the article and to discover music I may never have found.

Here's a couple of links to some of my own playlists...

Best albums of 2012:
http://open.spotify.com/user/dmichuda/playlist/2CKELglctXe7NRdhiXcYgO

Fav Songs of 2012:
http://open.spotify.com/user/dmichuda/playlist/6rywf0DMkUGybfUaL3GX7I

Fav ambient of 2012:
http://open.spotify.com/user/dmichuda/playlist/6PYh0EgoNb6LUJhg6OIpjF

The last link for best 2012 ambient is missing more than half of my year end list simply because Spotify doesn't have all of the oddball music we all listen to.

Chronotope Project

• View Profile
    • Chronotope Project
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 07:32:11 PM »
The pay for artists is paltry--it's true--but there may be some value in the exposure. As a listener, I have to say, I think it's great, and I do pay for the service, since it's commercial -free and streams at a decent bit rate. Lots of ambient artists are on it, and since I spend time listening every day, it's worth $10 a month to me.
Jeffrey Ericson Allen
Chronotope Project