Author Topic: AMBIcon 2013 Update  (Read 7659 times)

Stephen Hill

• View Profile
AMBIcon 2013 Update
« on: January 18, 2013, 02:04:03 AM »
Hello Hynos forum...just reviewed this thread and would like to update everyone on what's happening with the AMBIcon event in San Rafael, CA, May 3-5, 2013.

By now you all know we added JEFF PEARCE to the list of performers in October. This month we learned that David Darling would not be able to make it. We were very pleased to get HANS CHRISTIAN to replace him. If David is the grandfather of improvising cellists, Hans is one of his most talented and dedicated progeny.

The final list of artists is HANS CHRISTIAN, STEPHAN MICUS, JEFF PEARCE, ROBERT RICH, STEVE ROACH, MICHAEL STEARNS, STELLAMARA, and TIM STORY.

Here's the concert schedule:

SATURDAY AFTERNOON
     Jeff Pearce
     Robert Rich

SATURDAY EVENING
     Tim Story
     Michael Stearns

SUNDAY AFTERNOON
     Stephan Micus     
     Steve Roach

SUNDAY EVENING
     Hans Christian
     Stellamara

JUST ADDED: I'm very happy to announce that MARK PRENDERGAST, author of the definitive book "The Ambient Century" will be flying in from London to make a featured presentation at AMBIcon.

On the production front, we've hired DELICATE PRODUCTIONS to do sound and lighting for the event. They are an experienced crew with absolutely state-of-the-art equipment and we will be in exceptionally good hands. We are building a live 5.1 surround system for the event. LYNN AUGSTEIN of Cobalt Sun Productions is designing the lighting and stage decor. It will be a unique environment for serious listening.

We are working on special discount offer for artists and label personnel whose music has been played on Hearts of Space. Please see our blog (blog.hos.com), Twitter feed (twitter.com/heartsofspace), or our Facebook page (facebook.com/heartsofspace) for details as soon as we have everything arranged.

For more information see the AMBIcon page on the Hearts of Space website...

http://www.hos.com/#ambicon2013

and the event tickets page at Brown Paper Tickets:

http://heartsofspace.brownpapertickets.com

Finally, we do expect to have a limited number of tickets for the 4 scheduled concerts available for sale to local Northern California residents. Our best guess is that they will go one sale in early April, about one month before the event…unless the event sells out by then.

Any questions, please write to ambicon@hos.com.

Hope to see and meet many of you there. (That means you, Griffin!)

:: SH

dreamin4ever

• View Profile
Re: AMBIcon 2013 Update
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 09:43:46 AM »
So only northern California residents will be able to attend the individual concerts? SoCal and out of state are not allowed? I would like to attend two or all 4 concerts. So do I have to buy for the whole weekend event? $350-370 for non NorCal residents? It's a bit pricey just to see two or four shows. Don't you think?

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 10:34:55 AM »
Stephen's been consistently supportive of our tiny scene since the 80s, so I'd hardly begrudge him for how he wants to handle his own event.  There is likely a very limited number of individual tickets, and can understand why he might need to ration those tickets to local fans who do not need to book hotel accommodations and to artists who have been played on his show.

Forrest

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 11:19:46 AM »
I would really like to see the Stearns set.  I have seen Robert and Steve several times over the years so I'll probably just get a Stearns ticket if I can.  Luckily I live nearby.  Hope this works out.  It would be great to meet some more artists and fans, and maybe a few Forumites.   

phobos

• No choice is a choice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 01:19:42 PM »
Sounds like a great event, hope it is a success for everyone concerned.
Hopefully there will be some live footage posted on Youtube for those of us over the pond?
http://soundcloud.com/phobos-2
http://phobos.bandcamp.com/
http://phobos-ambient.moonfruit.com/
"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."Leopold Stokowski

Stephen Hill

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 03:28:38 PM »
phobos: Yes, budget permitting we are planning to videotape all the concerts and presentations and post them on YouTube.

dreamin4ever: The economics of doing a quality event like this are pretty daunting. This is our first one, and if it is not going to be the last we have to be very careful with our pricing and sales policies. For both our sake and the "user experience," we want to sell as many tickets to the full event as possible. So we've setup a tiered pricing system that favors those who make their decision early with a discount. Once we see how the full-event sales have progressed in the spring, we'll decide on the timing and pricing for the individual concerts. In the end we want to fill all the available seats with people who love the music and really want to be there, at prices that are rational for us and reasonable for this kind of event. Once they start, we will not limit the individual sales to Northern California residents; if you want to drive in from hundreds of miles away for one concert, that's up to you.

ffcal: Thanks for your understanding.

phobos

• No choice is a choice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 04:07:27 PM »
phobos: Yes, budget permitting we are planning to videotape all the concerts and presentations and post them on YouTube.
That would be cool, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you 8)
http://soundcloud.com/phobos-2
http://phobos.bandcamp.com/
http://phobos-ambient.moonfruit.com/
"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."Leopold Stokowski

doombient

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 05:47:43 PM »
This line-up is to die for. Shame I´d have to add tickets for a flight from Germany and back again...

Seriously, this is the type of line-up that would make me attend EM festivals over here in Continental Europe.

Stephen
"Honour thy error as a hidden intention." (Brian Eno)

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 09:58:27 PM »
For years I have been envious of many EM Festival over in Continental Europe, now its your turn.  ;D
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Stephen Hill

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 02:00:00 PM »
Hello again, Hypnos forum. Just wanted to let everyone know that we've just added several new options for attending the AMBIcon 2013 event.

• You can now buy Single Day access for either Saturday or Sunday only.
• You can also buy tickets for each of the 4 concerts individually.

TICKETING details and prices:  http://heartsofspace.brownpapertickets.com
CONFERENCE schedule and information:  http://ambicon.hos.com

We have a special discount for musicians and label personnel. Please email me at  sh(at)hos.com  for details.

It's going to be a memorable event with great people and great music. Hope you can make it!

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 03:33:39 PM »
Now that I've seen the pricing for single concerts (2 artists), which is $70.00 basically, some comments:

I would never pay $70 for one concert.  I know this is "the norm" these days with ticket prices skyrocketing.  That $70 doesn't include travel costs and food for customers/attendees.  For me (and I live in the Bay Area) one of these would run close to $100 when all is said and done.   

Sorry to be negative, but I also feel there are some people on the roster who are bizarre choices for an "ambient" event, namely Stellamara, Hans Christian, and Stephen Micus.  I'd categorize these as "world/jazz", not ambient.  I cannot remember ever seeing a post on this forum about any of them.  I'm not saying they are not talented or worthy in their own right, but I think spacemusic fans are gonna be disappointed when they realize they cannot see Steve Roach alone for a more reasonable price of $30-$35 because there's someone else on the bill.

I would like to see the option of attending one artist's performance, so I am paying for who I actually want to see.  I would be willing to pay $40 for one performance of someone special like Michael Stearns or Steve Roach.   

Unless this changes, I won't be attending the festival.

Most of the electronic music concerts I've been to, nobody was storming the doors to get in.  This genre doesn't exactly attract the masses.  It's not exactly the most exciting music to watch performed live.  I think the pricing is going to change some minds on this one, although I'm sure some will be willing to pay premium prices for multiple sets or the complete festival.       

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 09:34:44 AM »
The prices seem reasonable to me.  This type of festival is unusual, and I don't think I've ever heard of a Michael Stearns or Tim Story performance at all, much less one in the Bay Area.  I'll probably go to at least the Saturday shows, as I've spoken to Jeff Pearce and corresponded with Tim Story in the 80s when we we both started music-making, but have not met either of them.  I also want to show my support for Stephen and his show, which has been on so long, it's easy to take for granted.  At least John Boswell and Bill Douglas aren't headliners (if you know what I mean).

Forrest

Stephen Hill

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 09:35:13 PM »
Drone on —three responses to your comments:

First, the selection of artists for this event was tied to the 30th and 40th anniversary celebrations of the Hearts of Space program, and designed to appeal to the core fans and serious listeners to the show. Future AMBIcon events (should we be able to produce them) would still target "Ambient" artists in various genres. In my view, it's more of a sensibility and a way of listening than a strictly defined genre. If it was a narrow genre, it wouldn't have taken Mark Prendgast 500 pages to tell the story of "The Ambient Century."

Second, even though the event wound up being called AMBIcon, a number of artists we attempted to book who might have better suited a strict definition of "ambient" were either unavailable or unaffordable or both. Sincere listeners may disagree over what to call the music of a particular artist. While Stephan Micus and Stellamara are often lumped together with World Music artists, neither of them nor Hans Christian could be characterized as having anything to do with Jazz. They don't play like or think about music like jazz artists.

What Micus and Hans Christian share in their solo work is a committment to creating contemplative experiences that I believe can comfortably be included in a slightly broader definition of Ambient. Stellamara has been asked to concentrate their set on their deeper, slower and more contemplative material, and I believe that any sincere fan of Ambient will be very satisfied with what they do. They are absolutely first class musicians and hearing them live is always a great experience.

Third, re splitting up the "dual" concerts into individual events: There are some logistical issues to solve, but we'll consider adding that option after we see the response to the sales of the dual concerts at the $65 price. We still have 7 weeks until the event, and we intend to do everything we can to make it accessible to everyone who would like to attend. Let's see if we can overcome your reservations;-)

« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 01:04:44 PM by Stephen Hill »

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 05:03:40 AM »
I also want to show my support for Stephen and his show, which has been on so long, it's easy to take for granted. 

Forrest

Reason enough....plus the performance.  I call that well worth it.  HOS radio show was the only source for new space / ambient music back when I originally tuned in during the mid 80's 

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 10:23:06 AM »
Stephen, thanks very much.  Your points are well taken.  :)

Michael Allison

• View Profile
    • The Darshan Ambient Website
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 09:41:27 AM »
This is going to be a great show and the lineup is a great representation of what this genre's all about. When I heard about this event I was thinking I'd love to be one of the performers as I live not too far away from the Bay Area but perhaps next year.  I would love to participate and meet all these great artist's, fans and Forumite's.

All the best Stephen!

m.
m.

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 04:09:15 PM »
I'm lucky to have a regular diet of delicious ambient music here at THE AMBiENT PiNG but this looks like quite a feast! If I wasn't a country and pretty-much a continent away I'd be in line for a heaping helping.   ;)  8)

jeff pearce

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2013, 09:41:39 AM »
for anyone who might wonder what my set is going to sound like, here's a three minute snippet of one of the rehearsals I've recorded

.... and, yes, I'm particularly proud that I learned how to embed the soundcloud player...  :)

Michael Allison

• View Profile
    • The Darshan Ambient Website
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2013, 12:37:32 PM »
Very nice Jeff!!  :)
m.

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2013, 02:09:15 PM »