Author Topic: U.S. Postal Service rate increase on foreign orders  (Read 5076 times)

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
Re: U.S. Postal Service rate increase on foreign orders
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2013, 12:52:40 PM »
On a related note, I was told at the post office yesterday that the USPS is coming out with an "international stamp" that will be valid for postage to any part of the world, eliminating the need for the USPS to look up individual postage for every letter overseas.  Not sure how that's gonna work, especially for packages...
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

jdh

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2013, 10:26:21 PM »
In the February issue of Esquire USA ( if you are into that) there is a 12 page article on the USPS and the why/ what of the increases. Seems they lost 15 billion! In 2012 and had/ have about 3 days reserve before going bankrupt.And yes,it seems the increase for the most part is to shore up the pension fund for future employees.
I have no problem going to lossless downloads but for those that still want to ship CDs,look into Fed Ex or UPS,it does not take much to set up an account,even commercial.I just got 4 CDS ( not avail with a download) from California to NY by UPS and was charged $12, got it in 5 days with tracking.
Drone On,it's tough all over :o,but continue to support our music please.

Numina

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2013, 09:39:51 AM »
Another blow to customers - USPS looking to cancel saturday delivery (again).  This time it looks more likely.  I do hope this doesn't mean they close down their physical sorting / store locations so I can mail stuff out on saturdays.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/u-s-world/us-postal-service-will-stop-delivering-mail-on-saturdays-to-cut-costs

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-post-office-ends-saturday-mail-20130206,0,493329.story

As a reminder.  This is all thanks to certain members of congress.  Read the real story about USPS's problems:

http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/local/courier_times_news/opinion/oped/the-post-office-heist/article_500db877-d8cf-5390-baf0-ae32dfb311a4.html
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 09:42:35 AM by Numina »

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2013, 10:26:07 AM »
CNN is reporting that post offices that are currently open on Saturdays will continue to be open; it looks like it just eliminates delivery.

Personally, I would be fine with delivery one day a week.  All my bills come via email, so the only things I get are junk mail and magazines.  Most of my packages come Fedex or UPS.  I know that plenty of people do rely on daily mail; but for those of us who don't, couldn't we 'opt out' of daily service?  It might save a few pennies...
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

Numina

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2013, 10:31:42 AM »
I guess I'm old fashioned.  I don't like electronic billing at all.  Only one account of mine is electronically billed and that's because it offered a discount to do so. Anyway, that's good to hear that the store will remain open so folks can mail stuff out on their day off.  I wonder if they could pick up their mail at the same time!?  :o

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2013, 11:13:24 AM »
I'm old fashioned too!

CD's instead of downloads
CD players instead of iPods
Bills by mail
DVD's instead of movie downloads

Guess I prefer the HARD COPY approach to life.  8)