Author Topic: CD's and Paper Sleeves Do NOT Mix  (Read 793 times)

drone on

• View Profile
CD's and Paper Sleeves Do NOT Mix
« on: February 07, 2013, 11:21:40 AM »
I recently bought the Fleetwood Mac "Rumours" 3-disc set.  This had the same goofy packaging I've seen on other big name bands/record companies reissues, by groups such as U2, Led Zeppelin, etc., wherein the CD's slide in and out of very thin cardboard/paper holders from the top of the packaging.  The problem is the CD's get scratched by the paper packaging; and even if you remove the disc(s) carefully, often they are already badly scratched when removing them from the packaging for the first time, from when they were assembled at the factory.  I looked at all three Rumours discs under the light yesterday and they looked like they had been put under someone's shoe and scraped along the floor, and they're only about 2 days old!   

Can't these record companies design better packaging to protect the discs?  I like fancy packaging as much as the next guy, but to me the discs are the most important thing and should be secured properly to avoid damage. 

I've noticed this is a problem more in the pop music world rather than the ambient world.  Some ambient labels, like Darla, have been issuing CD's in the thin cardboard sleeve packaging, but if you remove them carefully enough you can avoid scratches.  Often what I'll do though is just put them in my own "safe sheets" so they don't slide around and get scratched. 

zzzone.net

• a numbers station ||| zzzone.net
    • View Profile
    • zzzone.net
Re: CD's and Paper Sleeves Do NOT Mix
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 04:06:59 AM »
This is one of my pet peeves.  If you're buying physical product. please don't make it necessary to to slide the playing surface on anything except smooth plastic.  While paper may not have the characteristics necessary to scratch a disc, any little bit of grit on the disc surface MAY scratch the playing surface if the paper/cardboard forces you to slide the disc out.

I have had to get replacements for two discs that were scratched/unrippable the first time I ever removed the disc from their cardboard sleeves in the past week.

I recently bought the Fleetwood Mac "Rumours" 3-disc set.  This had the same goofy packaging I've seen on other big name bands/record companies reissues, by groups such as U2, Led Zeppelin, etc., wherein the CD's slide in and out of very thin cardboard/paper holders from the top of the packaging.  The problem is the CD's get scratched by the paper packaging; and even if you remove the disc(s) carefully, often they are already badly scratched when removing them from the packaging for the first time, from when they were assembled at the factory.  I looked at all three Rumours discs under the light yesterday and they looked like they had been put under someone's shoe and scraped along the floor, and they're only about 2 days old!   

Can't these record companies design better packaging to protect the discs?  I like fancy packaging as much as the next guy, but to me the discs are the most important thing and should be secured properly to avoid damage. 

I've noticed this is a problem more in the pop music world rather than the ambient world.  Some ambient labels, like Darla, have been issuing CD's in the thin cardboard sleeve packaging, but if you remove them carefully enough you can avoid scratches.  Often what I'll do though is just put them in my own "safe sheets" so they don't slide around and get scratched.