MUSIC, AMBIENCE AND SOUND ART > Music Gearheads Tech Talk

Is Analog the future for hardware synths?

(1/4) > >>

Julio Di Benedetto:
Seems there is a lot going on with analog synths recently......the new Korg MS 20 Mini, various mono synths from Moog and Arturia, Oberheim has the 4 Voices SEM coming soon and now Dave Smith has released the Prophet 12.  This looks really special to me as my Matrix 12 depending on the day can be a Matrix 7 or 11 as voice chips die and seem to resurrect themselves.  Perhaps soon vintage analog gear will just be for collectors not players.

Imagine a polyphonic offering from Moog, or something from Roland that is worthy of the name Jupiter.

I think its exciting times for analog hardware synths especially as digital synthesis development in hardware has stopped.

Introducing the Prophet 12 Synthesizer - Dave Smith Instruments

El culto:
See Julio, you should have better kept your Andromeda  ;) Anyway, why did you sold this extraordinary piece of hardware? I would never sell mine  :D

Cheers,
Tomas

hdibrell:
It is exciting for me seeing all of the recent developments in analog synthesis. I hope it keeps up. I do regret selling various analog gear in recent years especially my CS50 And Prophet 5. I had the same problem Julio mentioned, parts hard to find and constant maintenance. I do wish I had kept them, though.  :(  The recent explosion of analog products is encouraging, what with the Tom Oberheim products coming soon and the 2nd wave of modular synthesis that I thought I would never see. The best part is the affordability! Even though many of these products are not cheap (Tom Oberheims SOFV) they are so much more affordable than like products were in the 1970's when I spent a lot of time drooling over modular, patchable and analog keyboards. Picking up an ARP 2600 in 1971 was like buying a new car, neither of which I could afford.

Julio Di Benedetto:

--- Quote from: El culto on February 09, 2013, 07:14:34 AM ---See Julio, you should have better kept your Andromeda  ;) Anyway, why did you sold this extraordinary piece of hardware? I would never sell mine  :D

Cheers,
Tomas

--- End quote ---

Hi Tomas.....actually I still have it.  The sale never work out, however it is in need of some serious tech support.  The software and LCD screen malfunctions have made it impossible to program.  The Matrix 12 in is much better shape.  Strange as it may seem I find programming the Andromeda frustrating.  It does produce wonderful sounds nevertheless.  The Matrix 12 is much more intuitive to program for me.  I will get the Andromeda fix this year.

As Harry mention there has also been a huge revival of modular synthesis and all of this is so much more affordable!

ffcal:
I've always had a fondness for analog because it's seeming unpredictability and warmth. 

One thing I hope is different about the mini-MS-20 is programmability.  Analog patches were difficult to preserve on the original version and were not programmable.

Forrest

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version