MUSIC, AMBIENCE AND SOUND ART > Music Gearheads Tech Talk

Is Analog the future for hardware synths?

<< < (2/4) > >>

hdibrell:
Just from a quick look, I don't think there are going to be any changes as far as saving patches or programmability on the mini MS-20. I do remember the frustration in trying to recreate sounds on many of these older analog beasts. It was sometimes close to impossible to duplicate sounds on the EML101 and Synthi AKS that I had just gotten the day before back in college. That was one of the problems of having several people play with the same machines. Ah, the good old days.  ;)

Scott M2:
With its USB out - it will probably be a good controller for the Korg MS-20 VST which sounds pretty darn good and patches are savable, though with an awkward save/load interface. It will be the perfect way to compare the sounds of the analog vs VST by programming them both from the front panel at the same time.

Julio Di Benedetto:

--- Quote from: ffcal on February 11, 2013, 01:09:57 PM ---I've always had a fondness for analog because it's seeming unpredictability and warmth. 

Forrest

--- End quote ---

Yes the unpredictability is what I love most with modular systems.  One cable is capable of changing the sound completely, two cables and a tweak of a knob and the chance to ruin the patch you work on for a good while and three cables, two tweaks and odds are you cannot do back and recover the patch, yet your on the way to something even better, perhaps.  Modular synthesis forces you to take risk in sound design and with this though comes the opportunity to creates some of the most amazing and unique sounds.....once!

Actually I believe the Buchla 200e has memory.

ffcal:

--- Quote from: Julio Di Benedetto on February 12, 2013, 06:20:39 AM ---Yes the unpredictability is what I love most with modular systems.  One cable is capable of changing the sound completely, two cables and a tweak of a knob and the chance to ruin the patch you work on for a good while and three cables, two tweaks and odds are you cannot do back and recover the patch, yet your on the way to something even better, perhaps.  Modular synthesis forces you to take risk in sound design and with this though comes the opportunity to creates some of the most amazing and unique sounds.....once!

--- End quote ---

I had the good fortune to work with a Moog Mark V modular synth with ribbon controller and an ARP 2500 when studying EM in college.  I can remember spending a whole evening on one patch--especially crazy on the Moog with its multiple patch cord routes--and thinking I had to record the results now or I would lose them forever.  The ARP matrix switches were cool and less messy.

Forrest

LNerell:

--- Quote from: Julio Di Benedetto on February 12, 2013, 06:20:39 AM ---

Actually I believe the Buchla 200e has memory.
--- End quote ---

The 200e does have memory but you still have to repatch everything, it only remembers the settings for each module. I started learning the art of synthesist first on a Moog modular and then on an old Buchla 100 system. I try to take a sort of zen approach to modulars, a patch is here one day and gone the next. You can literally start with a clean slate at any time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version