Author Topic: What's happened to Depeche Mode?  (Read 908 times)

drone on

• View Profile
What's happened to Depeche Mode?
« on: February 21, 2013, 04:06:48 PM »
I just watched the video for "Heaven," from the forthcoming DM album.  What an awful song.  They don't even sound like DM anymore.  Dave Gahan is trying to sing like Bono now.  Yuk.  ;D

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
Re: What's happened to Depeche Mode?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 05:12:11 PM »
D2 ???  ;)

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 05:49:22 PM »
I think DM has done a good job in very slowly changing their sound over the past four albums, while still remaining "Depeche Mode". Have you listened to Playing the Angel and Sounds of the Universe? I would consider this new single very similar to those albums.

I think Ultra and Exciter was the exit of the older DM that we grew up on. To my ears, nothing beats Violator.  8)

Do I like the new single? I wouldn't say I love it (the chord progression is pretty tired), but then it always takes time for me to warm up to new music. Ultimately, DM has never let me down (see what I did there?), so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and purchase their new CD.
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

Paul Vnuk (Ma Ja Le)

• View Profile
    • Paul's Myspace
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 12:23:49 PM »
No band or artist can remain the same and repeat themselves, nor should they try! Weather I enjoy the new material or not, I would respect them less if they tried to do Violator 2.0, but thats just me.
"I liken good ambient to good poetry ... enjoyable, often powerful, and usually unpopular" APK

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 05:57:15 AM »
In my mid teens some 35 years ago a synth pop band came on the scene when I lived in England.......and that same band is about to release a new album.  Respect!

doombient

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 05:32:55 PM »
They´ve become rich, they´ve become a trademark. They are no longer hungry, and they do no longer have to care whether or not their new album will be innovative, trail-blazing, or just great listening because they´ll be selling enough copies not to be bothered by questions like this.

Stephen
"Honour thy error as a hidden intention." (Brian Eno)