OTHER THINGS IN THE WORLD THAN MUSIC > Art and Literature, Movies and TV

Blade Runner versions: which is the best?

(1/2) > >>

drone on:
I just bought the Blade Runner Collector's Edition 4-DVD set (used for $10, yeah!!)  So this has the "Final" cut (think it was 1997), the 1992 "Director's Cut," and the 1982 US and Intl. "theatrical cuts." 

The theatrical release has the voice-over by Harrison Ford and the "happy" ending where Deckard and Rachael drive off into the sunset together.  Well I watched the final and the theatrical back to back and I think the voice-overs added an intimacy and some helpful explanations that to me make the theatrical the best version.  Harrison Ford hated the voiceovers and Ridley Scott preferred them left out.  Any opinions on this?

The other stuff on this box was pretty interesting, especially the feature about Phillip K. Dick.  I'm not much of a reader but it has me intrigued to seek out his books.  Plus the extras cover just about every technical aspect you could want. 

mgriffin:
The 2007 Final Cut is consider by most Blade Runner aficionados to be the best, definitive version.

The story goes that Harrison Ford was so dead-set against including a voice-over that he intentionally read the narration in a flat, bland style, thinking this would help ensure that the voice-over was not used.

I personally don't hate the voice-over, but I think there's too much of it in the theatrical version.

mgriffin:
Also, as for Philip K. Dick's writing, I'm a big fan of his work. Much of his writing was done hurriedly, often under the influence of stimulants. On a sentence-by-sentence level, his writing is nothing special. It's all about the mind-bending ideas, which explains why his work has translated so well to film.

| broken harbour |:
Final Cut.

drone on:
What about the errors?

Here's one I have noticed:

In the first scene when Leon is getting VK'd by Holden, right before he shoots him, he says: "Let me tell you about my mother."  Later, when Deckard is reviewing the tape in the police vehicle it is a different voiceover and Leon says "I'll tell you about my mother."  Since you're only hearing the audio of this exchange, couldn't they have just used the same audio for the original scene???  I have read an explanation online where supposedly Deckard was just "reviewing the murder in his mind" and that's why the dialog is different (because that's the way he heard it, or something).

Also that scene where Zhora (replicant) crashes through the glass and it's obviously not Joanna Cassidy, plus that dumb wig they used that looks nothing like her real hair. 

For all the money they spent on the meticulous details, you'd think the "continuity" department would have been a little more on the ball!  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version