OTHER THINGS IN THE WORLD THAN MUSIC > Art and Literature, Movies and TV

Blade Runner versions: which is the best?

<< < (2/2)

Antdude:

--- Quote from: drone on on March 14, 2013, 10:15:55 AM ---What about the errors?

Also that scene where Zhora (replicant) crashes through the glass and it's obviously not Joanna Cassidy, plus that dumb wig they used that looks nothing like her real hair. 

For all the money they spent on the meticulous details, you'd think the "continuity" department would have been a little more on the ball!  ;D

--- End quote ---

In the Director's Cut, that error was finally fixed by digitally replacing the stunt girl's head. Joanna Cassidy came in and filmed insert shots which were composited into the orignal scene. There's a fascinating segment in the 'Making Of' documentary that details the process used. Well worth checking out, and the finished scene looks great to the extent that if you had never seen the film, you'd never know Cassidy didn't film the original scene.

If you're a BR nut, as I am, you might find this book well worth the read:

http://www.amazon.com/Future-Noir-Making-Blade-Runner/dp/0061053147/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1363336867&sr=1-4&keywords=blade+runner

It's an excellent trip through the film's development and production, with lots of fascinating details.

hjalmer:

worth it to find the "esper" version soundtrack

music for brainpan pictures of all the various film scenes

h

9dragons:
I only own the Final Cut, which is exquisite, but I've been tempted to pick up the original theatrical cut, as I am such a Blade Runner addict, and curiosity will likely soon get the better of me. It is a constant desire to want more of this film. Blade Runner is such a strange cultural artifact: a franchise that consists of multiple versions of one movie. But not only that, for fans like me it is a movie than offers up something new with each watch, and each viewing is unique. It leads us to pursue more films that are similar to it, which is somewhat difficult...

Speaking of versioning, let's talk about the soundtrack. I only have the recently released "30th Anniversary Celebration" which is the film soundtrack meticulously re-created and re-recorded by Edgar Rothermich. And it's brilliant. And it stands apart from the film, but is a wonderful mirror to it at the same time, a microcosm. I originally was turned off from buying the soundtrack which Vangelis actually plays on, due to the voice clips from the film. The reason is this: Blade Runner is a movie that works so well in pure audio form; sometimes I throw it on as audio accompaniment to the day at it is absolutely absorbing on a purely sonic level, not only the music but the entire sound design. So I'd rather listen to the movie itself than the Vangelis record.

Am I missing out? I certainly wouldn't hesitate to get both versions of the soundtrack...

Anybody else own the Rothermich soundtrack?

hjalmer:
lucky to find the (esper) version a few years back
it creates the entire movie experience like a radio broadcast

read about it here    h

http://www.anunna.net/vangelis-rarities/newsite.php?methode=methode1&id=25

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version