HYPNOS RECORDINGS > Hypnos Label Releases

Robert Rich's Somnium - back in print!

(1/1)

mgriffin:
Robert Rich's landmark long-form ambient recording Somnium went briefly out of print late last year, but
we have a new pressing available for sale now in case you missed it the first time.

2001 release, DVD format.

For those who are unclear about the format of SOMNIUM: it's an ordinary DVD-video disc, playable in regular,
garden-variety home DVD players, as well as DVD-rom drives on you PC or Mac. It does not require (and in
fact is not compatible with) a high-end "DVD-audio" format machine. To put it another way, it's a DVD-video
with music only, no picture (aside from the menus). The DVD-video format was used because it enabled us to
store 7 hours of continuous audio on one side of one disc -- no breaks in the program... no need to change discs
or wait for a changer to swap from disc 5 to disc 6, for example. It is a stereo (two channel) audio program.

Technical questions aside, SOMNIUM is a re-creation of Robert Rich's famous "sleep concerts," which began
during Robert's time at Stanford University. These sleep concerts have been much discussed, but few current
fans of ambient/space music have actually attended them. Consequently, a lot of speculation and mystery has
grown about the "legendary sleep concerts." Now you'll have an opportunity to stretch out in the dark and listen
to some of Robert Rich's finest deep, subliminal ambience.... seven hours worth, uninterrupted!

Ready to purchase now, 7 hours of music playable in any DVD player, for $21.99, here:

http://www.hypnos.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=hyp2131

Mark Mushet:

--- Quote from: mgriffin on April 23, 2008, 07:36:44 PM ---Robert Rich's landmark long-form ambient recording Somnium went briefly out of print late last year, but
we have a new pressing available for sale now in case you missed it the first time.
--- End quote ---

I highly recommend this to all. And given that many are now using DVD or DVD-compatible players as their main audio playback units it shouldn't pose too many logistical problems...like the way I used to have to run cables from the DVD player to the main audio unit from another room to listen to it! ;)

SiF:
Oh, that sample on CDBaby.com sound teriffic.
I should order right know.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version