Author Topic: Astronomy Music  (Read 2582 times)

sio

• View Profile
Astronomy Music
« on: April 25, 2008, 02:11:36 PM »
Didn't known if i should post this here or in the "Everything..."section...

Is there any stargazers here? And if so is there any cd you may think of or enjoy playing while observing the heavens above? Or any recommendations?

Last summer, i really enjoyed Justin Wanderberg, Alio Die and Saffron Wood's "Corteggiando...." with it's shimmering sounds, so lovely when a gentle cosmic breeze blow on your face as well as the Tetsu Inoue "Inland". I also enjoy the track "Lyra" by Fripp & Eno and recently discover "The World on Higher Downs" who have a nice track called "Her Static Will" on their "Land Patterns" cd.

Anything along those lines?

Dave Michuda

• View Profile
    • Low Light Mixes
Re: Astronomy Music
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 10:26:26 PM »
Here's a big recommendation for my friend, Rick's, "Music for Stargazing" mix.  It features Eno, James Johnson, Steve Roach, Ashera, Michael Sterns, Jeff Pearce & more. 

It's a great mix and you can get it here...
http://hydrogencafe.blogspot.com/2007/06/music-for-stargazing-vol-1.html

I almost forgot there is another stargazing mix posted at Hydrogen Cafe, it's called "The Stars My Destination".  Another fantastic mix.

Find it here...
http://hydrogencafe.blogspot.com/2006/08/stars-my-destination.html

Good stuff.

drkappa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 02:13:00 PM »
Is there any stargazers here? And if so is there any cd you may think of or enjoy playing while observing the heavens above? Or any recommendations?

Yes, but not much observing since coming back to the UK.  The skies were so much
darker on Mauna Kea. <sigh>

Many serious amateur astronomers prefer not to play music, as it can distract from
concentrating on the sky.   Also for meteor watchers like me, many use a sound-activated
recorder to note events.   If I were to play music it would be beatless ambient that sets
a mood theat helps me to stay awake, yet not diverting my attention from seeing faint
meteors through my telescope.  So it would be the likes of Oophoi, Steve Roach (but
not tribal), Exuviae, Robert Scott Thompson, Exuviae, Matthew Florianz,
Austere, Diatonis (could list many more).  The classic astronomy musician is Jonn Serrie.

Then there are the neighbours to consider.   For private listening the extra cables for
headphones can get tangled around telescopes and the like, and there are the extra
batteries and cassette/CD player to carry.  Of more concern was having sufficient battery
power for the red torch/flashlight.  I suppose in the iPod age, it wouldn't require much
extra kit to carry to the observing site.

There is also the ambient sound of the wildlife.  It's part of the experience of being
under the heavenly dome.

Now while observing at professional observatories I took along a diverse selection
of CDs, largely melodic, so that if there were a telescope operator they didn't have to
suffer music they hated.  Most of the time the electronics and computers do the
heavy work, so the music could be more upbeat to survive the wee hours.   Unlike
amateur observing there are breaks while the telescope is collecting the data,
whereas amateurs using their eyes, can't lose concentration else they'll miss
something.
Malcolm Currie
   If you have been...

sraymar

• View Profile
    • Steve Raymar
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 03:02:42 PM »
For Windows types there's Microsoft's new World Wide Telescope. It is CPU intensive though.

Steve
Ambient isn't just for technicians!

The artist isn't a special kind of man, but every man is a special kind of artist.

Don't be afraid to grow, give yourself a chance.