Author Topic: German-only text on electronic music cd's  (Read 871 times)

drone on

• View Profile
German-only text on electronic music cd's
« on: April 16, 2013, 04:14:23 PM »
I have noticed on some recent purchases the practice of printing inner booklet liner notes in German.  Two that come to mind are Mathias Grassow "Wisdom of Fate" on Swedish Gterma label and Klaus Schulze "Shadowlands" on SPV.  Any theories on why the text wouldn't be translated into English?

El culto

• View Profile
Re: German-only text on electronic music cd's
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 04:27:42 PM »
I have noticed on some recent purchases the practice of printing inner booklet liner notes in German.  Two that come to mind are Mathias Grassow "Wisdom of Fate" on Swedish Gterma label and Klaus Schulze "Shadowlands" on SPV.  Any theories on why the text wouldn't be translated into English?

Möglicherweise gibt es dazu keine Theorie, sondern ist lediglich eine Entscheidung des Künstlers. Und ausserdem - warum sollte oder muss alles auch in Englisch geschrieben sein?

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 04:35:08 PM »
If that was a joke it wasn't funny  ;)

El culto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 05:22:12 PM »

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 06:18:20 PM »
I'd agree with Tomas that this is an artist's free decision, and may or may not signal much else than identity.
English may be the second language across much of Europe, but it is not the first for any given country.

In Canada many Quebec artists release only with french liner notes.

I'm actually surprised more artists don't release in their own tongue ... if only for the hell of it.
Though I think it also lends the work a different and intriguing flavour. A little more individual.
And perhaps more personal that all pretending to speak the same language.

Releasing with english notes is especially driven by an economic incentive, I imagine.
Which is not everyone's main concern.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 06:40:28 PM »
Möglicherweise gibt es dazu keine Theorie, sondern ist lediglich eine Entscheidung des Künstlers. Und ausserdem - warum sollte oder muss alles auch in Englisch geschrieben sein?

Ach!

Wanterkeelt

• Do you know this man ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 06:40:21 AM »
I like when the booklet is written in native language instead of English. Since, besides ambient I listen to a lot of metal, I have a lot of CDs whose booklets are written in Swedish, Norvegian, Finnish or Russian, and even if I don't understanf a word, I like it. It's something different than the usual English standard booklet.
The same goes for the song lyrics.

El Culto, wir brauchen mehr Deutsch im Hypnos Forum ;)

doombient

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 11:55:19 AM »

I guess it´s because most Germans suck at writing, speaking, or understanding English... it sometimes makes me cringe to read English texts written by Germans. They simply don´t seem to get it into their heads that both British and American English are languages which have absolutely nothing in common with German idiomatic speech. "Oh, these languages are different from each other?" Yep, they are.

Hello, I am becoming a Hamburger. Siss issnnt propper Inglish.

Misschien ga ik volgende keer mijn cd-boekjes in het Nederlands schrijven...

Stephen
"Honour thy error as a hidden intention." (Brian Eno)