Author Topic: Robert Rich - Filaments  (Read 1295 times)

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
Re: Robert Rich - Filaments
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2015, 04:11:10 PM »
By the way, does anyone have  Seven Veils? What are your thoughts on this one?

I really liked Seven Veils, although I don't think I've listened to it in over a decade. It was a bit more rhythmic and traditional than most of the stuff I like, but something about the production was so beautiful and crisp that it was hard to not get lost in it.

Regarding Roach, inspiration, and change: I go through phases in terms of what I find exciting and what strikes me as uninspired. I assume artists do too. Sometimes I'm "in phase" with certain artists and sometimes I'm not.

The great thing about really talented artists like Roach is that the quality is almost always there regardless of whether the album moves you at the specific moment of its release. I recall not caring much for Blood Machine, Light Fantastic, and some of the other atmo+pulse albums when they originally came out. But, years later, they really started to resonate with me. I still don't dig the highly percussive stuff, but can see how others might like it.

Another Roach-bonus is that, although he still continues to experiment and explore new sounds, he returns to his roots often enough that I never feel alienated by his work. Some artists evolve and, although you publicly respect them for doing so, you can't help but pine for the kinds of sounds that caused you to fall in love with them in the first place. Roach (and Robert Rich) manages to maintain some continuity while also changing. The trick, I think, is that they are willing to explore new sounds and identities without dismissing their origins. Other artists sometimes behave as if the only way forward is to break from the past.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 05:28:32 PM by chris23 »

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2015, 05:12:36 PM »
I know what you mean- some artists who I really loved continued to "evolve" until they lost me completely. In a way, it was admirable, I suppose, that they followed their muses so passionately, but on the other hand, if you lose half of your audience while doing so, is that a constructive approach? (Some would argue "yes"). 

For instance, I was passionate about Dirk Serrie's Vidna Obmana project, but his other projects after that left me completely flat.

I'm not arguing that Steve Roach is not talented; it's just that for me, his new releases, in spite of great variety from album to album, all seem very derivative of previous albums.

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2015, 05:43:01 PM »
It just occurred to me that I'm complaining about both sides of the coin-- some musicians changed too much, while others changed too too little. It's probably more accurate to say that I've simply lost touch with certain musicians that I used to love.

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2015, 01:05:15 AM »
Hi Joe,

I think this is a tricky area and I understand that some people may feel that some artists aren't progressing with their musical output. I should say though that from an artist's viewpoint this can be a difficult point. Of course, I'm not speaking on behalf of SR or RR, but guys like them who have been making music for such a long time (presumably) want to carry on releasing work. I think almost anyone working in any artform tends to repeat themselves over time and in some cases that's exactly what their fans want - imagine AC/DC going all jazz-rock :), but this may come at the expense of maintaining a more 'static' signature sound.

Some artists (for whatever reason) just give up or only release a small number of works and I find that to be unfortunate.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 01:07:45 AM by petekelly »

Joe R

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2015, 04:25:27 PM »
Yeah, I imagine this is a fine line for musicians as well. You don't want to repeat yourself, yet you strive for your own signature sound as well.

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2015, 09:26:50 AM »
Good points! I think we all want to hear something new and exciting from our favorites yet, we also want to hear what's familiar and comfortable from them.
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

judd stephens

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2015, 08:45:23 PM »
for me, the artist who's really doing best with gradually evolving his sound while also maturing a signature sound is Alio Die.  The current best ambient musician in the universe IMO!!!   ;)  He's been releasing some amazing little soundworlds- well some are little and others more grandiose, but he keeps impressing me big time.  And I'm not a fan of his stuff that's too experimental- the ones with "noisy nature" ambience or too much in the abstract, but lately his works one after the other have been intriguing and at times just gorgeous.

Of Steve Roach's last 5 years or so of output, the ones that have appealed to me are Sigh of Ages which is uniquely somewhere in the middle of austerity and warmth.  Back to Life is pretty good, and the Delicate Forever has Steve capturing some of the signature minimalist "magic" that we've come to know & love, at least in that first and last track....  and for collaborations I've enjoyed the Road Eternal w/ Eric Wollo & The Long Night w/ Kelly David. 

Oh, and the latest and once free download "Invisible" is a straight old school Roach album that's gotten some good plays, reminiscent of the slower atmospheric buildups in the Origins/Artifacts era- it's vintage stuff without feeling rehashed, it seems....

« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 08:52:45 PM by judd stephens »

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2015, 01:06:20 AM »
My favourite band as a youngster was Hawkwind - I followed tem for a number of years going to gigs etc.

Towards the beginning of this an 'old hippy' said to me that I'd follow them for about 5 years and then they would change too much for me....At the time I suspect I responded in a rather desultory fashion - such a thing was impossibble to imagine.

However he was right. I remember encouraging a bunch of people to go and see levitation tour - and I found the new sound (endless guitar solos much higher in the mix and a new drummer) very dissapointing....

So I think in the end the musicians have to follow thier muses and the fans have to follow their ears and hearts - hopefully these journeys, whilst bringing shared pleasure, are of benefit to both....

Bert/SonicImmersion.org

• View Profile
    • SonicImmersion.org
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2015, 07:12:25 AM »
Joe, you can find a review of "Seven Veils" on my site www.sonicimmersion.org