Author Topic: Need feedback on my ambient album  (Read 886 times)

Castleview

• View Profile
Need feedback on my ambient album
« on: June 18, 2013, 07:39:39 AM »

So I'm Castleview, an ambient musician who is influenced by artists such as Steve Roach and Vidna Obmana but also, shoegaze and drone music.  Here's my new album:

http://castleview.bandcamp.com/album/hortus-conclusus

I would appreciate any feedback, positive or negative. I've only been recording since last November so I'm sure I still have a lot to learn. 

Also, I'd hate to suck up too much but this is seriously an awesome ambient forum. I love the fact that quite a few ambient musicians post here.
http://castleview.bandcamp.com/
New album available now!

hdibrell

• View Profile
Re: Need feedback on my ambient album
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 01:00:59 PM »
Hi Castleview. Welcome to the forum. I haven't had a chance to really listen to this yet. I've only been able to listen to fairly short segments due to constraints on my time this week. What I've heard so far sounds good. Hopefully this weekend will allow more time for a deeper listening. I will say that putting up an entire album is a bit overwhelming for a lot of forum members, especially for someone we don't know yet. You might try in the future putting up one track or parts of tracks. It is easy for someone to see an entire album and think , "I don't have time to listen to an album right now. Maybe later", and then never get back to it. I know I have been guilty of this in the past. anyway, just my $.02. Cheers!   Harry
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 01:04:10 PM by hdibrell »
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 02:47:35 PM »
I understand where you're coming from. I didn't really think of that at the time because I personally felt like the album wasn't even that long.  I really could have posted a track or two first.  In the future though, I'll keep that in mind.  Thanks for the advice.
New album available now!

El culto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 03:17:42 PM »
I think the title track (only until minute 6:00) has a nice essence but lacks a lot of mixing.

For my taste toooooooo noisy in the upper mid/high range, but maybe thats what you are looking for. I can imagine cutting via EQ specific frequencies can improve the track massively.

PS: I hope APK (the "noise man") donīt read this post ;D

Cheers,
Tomas

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 04:45:51 PM »
I only used EQ on whole tracks TBH. I probably should start using on specific layers of tracks. I actually was going for a bit of a noisy touch TBH on the title track and Sapphire especially, if you were wondering. Thanks for the feedback Tomas. I'll definitely need to get better in my usage of EQ.
New album available now!

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 09:06:18 AM »
First, don't pay attention to anything Tomas/El Culto says. He is just a bass-drone-man and has no ear for real noise.  ;)

Second, if you crank up the volume on Sapphire, it really is kinda piercing (in a non-enjoyable way) in the high end. I'd definitely take an EQ to it to get it under control. It can still have the wall-of-high-end-noise thing going, but the trick is to make it listenable ... if you know what I mean.

I like the beach scene background, reminds me of south/west England.

APK
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 10:33:22 PM »
Hi Castleview,

I only had time to listen to portions of your pieces tonight, but I have a couple of quick thoughts/suggestions:  On the first piece, I would maybe use a darker setting on the reverb that reduced the hang time on the high end.  On the second and third pieces, I would try to vary the reverb settings between individual sounds/tracks more--it all sounds like a single wash way in the background.  Ideally, I like to hear mixes that have sounds in both the foreground and the background; the nearer sounds create a contrast with the verbed out stuff that my ear likes to hear.  I think your fourth piece has more definition to me, because you dialed the verb down and there is more separation between the sounds from right to left.

Good luck,
Forrest

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 07:44:22 AM »
Really appreciate the feedback so far. That's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for.
New album available now!