MUSIC, AMBIENCE AND SOUND ART > Other Ambient (and related) Music

Bandcamp

<< < (8/11) > >>

petekelly:
Something I forgot to mention earlier, I was thinking about ways of backing up my albums and I decided that Bandcamp would serve as a some kind of 'cloud' storage facility as well as it's intended use. It looks like it's going to be around for awhile and I can download the Flac files if I ever need to.

jkn:
I like bandcamp - it's shifted to becoming where I get most of my music from these days.  Relaxed Machinery encourages all of our artists to use it in addition to whatever other format they want to release through (CD Baby for digital distro, CDR, etc...).  Since rM is decentralized as a label - each artist "self releases... together" - it allows them another outlet to release though that people like - with mp3 or flac - and we have the central label site linking to all the options for our listeners to buy from.  Win-Win.

John

Ekstasis:
I am just listening to the new Robert Rich album "Morphology" on bandcamp, thank you for offering it for free.
But I must say it does worry me how many percent will actually pay for the high quality version ?
How many people are aware that the free stream has very bad audio quality and does not represent the original ?
a 128kbps can't deliver the depth of lets say vbr or 320 kbps.  I also wonder what codec is used by bandcamp or if it is the artist
who does the mp3 encoding ?  Anyway, my point is the audio quality and especially for ambient music for the free streams are unlistenable
you can just scratch the service but not dig down into the depths of the sound.. also all higher frequencies are cut off almost.

if a arist offer the stream for free, I see no reason why they should limit the bitrate to 128 kbps CBR.

Julio Di Benedetto:
Bandcamp do the all file conversion.....the artist sends them wav files, at say 24bit @ 96k and they will convert it to the other formats.  AS to limiting the free format...thats is up to the artist.  From my experience usually all digital formats are available, though I have not check the Rich bandcamp site you mention.....so maybe this is new.

Ekstasis:

--- Quote from: Julio Di Benedetto on November 15, 2013, 09:45:31 PM ---Bandcamp do the all file conversion.....the artist sends them wav files, at say 24bit @ 96k and they will convert it to the other formats.  AS to limiting the free format...thats is up to the artist.  From my experience usually all digital formats are available, though I have not check the Rich bandcamp site you mention.....so maybe this is new.

--- End quote ---

I hop they atleast use the LAME codec, it is the only mp3 codec that is good. Can't feel good for a artist like Robert rich to know all people listen to low quality stream.
But I think this is a big problem, especially the younger generation now days only do streaming and they are getting used to crap quality.  Youtube, spotify etc
And spotify have been caught re encoding 128kbps mp3s to higher bitrates to sell for premium members.

I prefer mp3 then streaming, cause with mp3 I can also use ASIO in my mediaplayer. makes a huge difference.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version