Author Topic: Remastering  (Read 774 times)

drone on

• View Profile
Remastering
« on: July 28, 2013, 01:55:16 AM »
Have you ever bought a remaster that had no discernible improvement over the original recording?  I've bought recently a rock album where the original could have used some significant bass and volume tweaking, and the remaster is totally useless.  This is a small independent label so I don't think they were just trying to extort more money out of the fans like the major labels are notorious for doing.   Any thoughts?

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
Re: Remastering
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 07:54:28 AM »
Usually remastering means brickwalling the mix. ;)
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 08:07:22 AM »
What is mastering? Is that different than mixing the raw tracks?

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 09:58:18 AM »
What is mastering? Is that different than mixing the raw tracks?

Quite different.  It generally involves quite a bit of subtle reshaping of the overall sound that is already in mixed form.  It could involve adjustments to EQ, overall balancing, mild compression and denoising, among other things.  Robert Rich, for example, does a lot of nice work with mastering.

Forrest

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 10:49:22 AM »
So, if a bass track is already mixed too low, there isn't much that can be done about it in the mastering?

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 11:11:34 AM »
You might be able to reduce the bass track's effect in mastering by rolling off frequencies around 100 Hz or so, but you'd also affect other sounds in the mix that have frequencies down in that range.

Forrest

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 04:11:08 PM »
Say you create this beautiful wood sculpture and your happy with it but its not quite finished......now its ready to be sanded, stained, lacquered and polished so that all the deep grain, subtle tones and inner glow that wood can have are expressed and the piece of art is experienced at its fullest potential....this is what a mastering engineer does except to music. It is very complexed and subtle, requires great ears,an acoustically treated room with often audiophile speakers, amps and cabling as well as specific types of equalizers and compressors and pristine converters to enable the mastering engineer to "look" inside the music.

Remastering can refer to where the music was produced for vinyl and needs to be prepared for a digital medium and unfortunately can lead to a modern approach of excessive distortion commonly found in current rock & pop music.  It can also refer to more of a revisiting of the music.  Perhaps Steve Roach's "Structures form Silence " is an example.....the original release and the Projekt remastered release where the music was readdressed for a reason.

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 04:43:35 PM »
Great explanations, Julio and Forrest. I appreciate it.

Returning to drone on's comment: I almost bought a remastered version of the original Stone Roses release on iTunes (my 7-year-old daughter is totally into it right now), but it didn't sound any better than my original vinyl copy. In fact, it almost sounded as if it were playing through a tin can.