MUSIC, AMBIENCE AND SOUND ART > Other Ambient (and related) Music

Favorite ambient albums from 2013 so far.

(1/4) > >>

Castleview:
It's been a pretty good year so far IMO, though I haven't heard too much new ambient music.

Anyways, here are my favorites:

Aidan Baker- Aneira
Oophoi- I Hear The Wind Singing
Steve Roach- Future Flows

Ein Sophistry:
Feels like it's been kind of a slow year for ambient so far, but maybe I'm just slow on the uptake.

Among what I have heard, though, I've been especially digging:

Igneous Flame: Nyx
Nautic Depths - Elsewhere I
Lustmord - The Word as Power

I need to look into those two Oophoi releases. Based on past experience, chances are pretty good at least one of them will end up on the list too.

drone on:
Nothing has really bowled me over this year.   

Dave Michuda:
I agree, it's been a slow year so far.  These aren't necessarily the best of 2013, just a few of my favorites...

Marsen Jules Trio - Présence Acousmatique
infinite_coil - transmit
Field Rotation - Fatalist: The Repetition of History
Cyber Zen Sound Engine - Cooperation
Maps and Diagrams - timbre
Wouter Veldhuis - blue forest
The Green Kingdom - Dustloops - Memory Fragments
Unrecognizable Now - Two Rooms
Brian Green - Subtle Ripples
Linear Bells - I can Dream
Marconi Union & Jah Wobble - Anomic
Justin Walter - lullabies and nightmares

As I said these are some favs but not all will end up on a year-end best-of list.

Antdude:
No one album release has really blown me away.

Quite honestly, some of the remixes of new material at Low Light Mixes, The Hypnogogue Podcast, Spacemind and others, are far more interesting ways to listen to some of the more recent releases. That's not to say that the music isn't as good, it's just that the podcasts are making more effective presentations.

What I really have enjoyed is a lot of the artists, new and well-known, that have made Bandcamp a fun place to be. It's good to see it embraced by many people here at Hypnos, and as a result, I've made a lot of great discoveries of promising artists. Much of the music featured there has also found its way into the podcasts.

So, it may not be that there isn't as much good music around today, it might just be that you should widen your net a little when choosing where to look for it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version