Author Topic: Best place for Ambient musicians to live  (Read 1367 times)

TWK

• "Take me to your FX rack!"
    • View Profile
Best place for Ambient musicians to live
« on: July 31, 2013, 07:43:07 AM »
First..not sure which category this belongs in.

Thinking about moving away from Cleveland Ohio.

What US city would you move to in hopes of furthering
your ambient space music?
Thanks

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
Re: Best place for Ambient musicians to live
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 11:22:03 PM »
Interesting question, not really sure. I guess you are looking for some sort of ambient scene to join? I don't really know of any place that has a scene based around ambient/space music these days. There use to be some what of a scene here in LA but that was decades ago. Other cities like San Francisco, Portland, Tucson, and Philadelphia have had something but I am not really sure if they are that viable anymore. Maybe the best advice I can think of is find somewhere you want to live, that has the quality of life you want then go there. Most of us seem to be all over the map so I don't think a particular place really maters anymore.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 04:47:54 AM »
Rule out any cities along the south eastern Florida coast......not to say that there aren't ambient music fans and musician just no community per se. 

I think the community has be a virtual one for a while, like this forum and others.  It has become more of a global community with respected musicians collaborating on music who are continents away from each other.

There is no Nashville for ambient space music but the cities that Loren mentioned do seem to have more interest in things out side the "popular" Box.

eric48

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 01:31:56 PM »
Philadelphia has a fairly active ambient/space community. Chuck Van Zyl hosts The Gatherings and Stars End. There are some shows at the Rotunda and Moonbase Alpha. There are also 3 or 4 radio shows that feature Ambient/Space Music.

Eric

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 03:04:33 PM »
The Moon

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 02:48:56 PM »
The moon may be a great creative environment for making this kind of music, but it scores minus several thousands below zero for quality of life.  ;D
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 02:53:45 PM »
You suffer from moon dust allergies, no?

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 04:26:59 PM »
That and an addiction to oxygen.   ;D
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 06:16:39 PM »
I get great impressions about Philly and west coast USA. Sara Ayers opened my eyes about Albany NY which doesn't really have an ambient community but is in striking distance for concerts and gigs in Philly, Boston, New York and the surrounding area. If you're in a large metropolis you can actually build a small ambient community if you have the willpower and staying power to make it happen.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 06:34:54 PM »
If you're in a large metropolis you can actually build a small ambient community if you have the willpower and staying power to make it happen.

I think that is an excellent statement.

In a larger community there are people with your interests, its just a matter of creating a focal point for them to come together in some way.

APK
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

betawave31

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 05:27:57 AM »
The Moon

Hopefully its not the Darkside of the Moon!

betawave31

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 05:33:25 AM »
Actually the NW is great if you can tolerate 7 months of rain. It is picturesque and very inspirational.

Most the westcoast is beautiful(sans LA) but the economy on the westcoast vs eastcoast circa 2013 might be a bit of a challenge as CA has a higher than average unemployment.

If you prefer desert I suggest Santa Fe, NM.

Stay away from Florida, too much going on with the whole Zimmerman thing plus the heat and humidity and lack of any beautiful landscapes unless you like the beach and malls makes it a - in my opinion.....

As far as the "scene" I believe San Francisco and Philadelphia have more of the scene but dont expect massive crowds at the shows!

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 10:51:08 PM »
Most the westcoast is beautiful(sans LA)

Yep, nothing beautiful about LA, well except maybe our beaches:

Or our mountains:

and maybe our deserts:

And our harbor is just an ugly mess:

And there is absolutely nothing to do at night downtown:

Nope, nothing much going for LA (sorry I just couldn't resist).  ;D
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 02:31:25 AM »
Somewhat off topic, but being an introverted sort of chap, here is my ideal ambient 'place' to abide. The moon is no good for atmospheric music, but caves are.

Back on topic, I don't know of any scene based around any city here in the UK, apart from art projects and the like, maybe ambient is more of a solitary path ?

« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 02:35:48 AM by petekelly »

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 03:00:38 PM »
Definitely avoid Louisiana. That's where I'm at and I don't know anyone who makes ambient music. Plus, I've only met a couple of ambient fans IRL.
http://castleview.bandcamp.com/
New album available now!

| broken harbour |

• View Profile
    • official website
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2013, 09:48:55 AM »
I would say that the best place for an ambient musician to live is anywhere with a relatively low cost of living, so that you could take on work that isn't overly demanding.  Then you'll have time and money to actually spend on making music.  The ambient community is for the most part, internet based now.

Having said that, I'm a hypocrite, as I have a demanding job and housing costs where I live are quite high.... but if I could work 25 hours a week and still have a roof over my head I'd gladly live in Winnipeg or something....

If you're in a large metropolis you can actually build a small ambient community if you have the willpower and staying power to make it happen.

I also think this is an excellent statement.  If something you want isn't happening, make it happen.