Author Topic: My review of "Sojourner" CDr by Phillip Wilkerson  (Read 405 times)

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
My review of "Sojourner" CDr by Phillip Wilkerson
« on: August 17, 2013, 05:31:01 AM »

Phillip Wilkerson "Sojourner" CDr

After numerous download only releases during the last year or so, in Naples, Florida based ambient drifter Phillip Wilkerson returns with his newest album, again released also on CDr format through his usual output via Kunaki. Out since July 30, 2013, I was immediately hooked by soothing cover image (done by Danish documentary photographer Flemming Bo Jansen, additional artwork credit goes to US landscape painter Damon Pla), which precisely illustrates Phillip's free floating tranquility. On the top of that, his extensive liner notes set the overall atmosphere even before entering these relaxing aural realms. And for the mastering knobs was responsible Robert Rich.

"Sojourner" opens with 12-plus minute "Epiphany". Slower circles of calmly embracing washes invade and warmly float and glide, filled with infinite peace and grace, with touch of longing mood. Deeply contemplative journey awaits here!!! "Sanctuary", as its title indicates, is slightly more monochromatic and mysterious, capturing more extensive, cathedral-like ambience while the next composition, "Sunlit Drift" moves majestically through captivating panoramas, yet keeping its monotonous dimension, but always pleasantly warm, wrapped by sorrowful atmosphere. "Gates Of Mercy" are unlocked and the listener slowly dives into more massive and immense sound fields, where utterly sublime passages are carefully tied with slightly more intense, wealthily evocative, but gentle cascades. Magnificently immersing, 16-minute long masterpiece transports us into warmly heartwarming and tranquilizing sonic paradise. Certainly the ultimate highlight of "Sojourner" proving the bravura of its creator, most likely my all-time fave composition by this Floridian!!! "An Endless Light" keeps on soothingly floating path, at once quieter, almost silent, but in a few seconds shifting into slightly thicker and intenser level and then moving back again. Just like the gentle ocean waves sweeping the shoreline on the album's cover. "The Awaiting Presence" is the closing and longest piece, getting over 22 minutes in length. It attracts immediately with its sheer beauty of deeper, grandeur drone walls, which morph through mesmerizing, wide-screen sceneries to more dissonant and mind-bending tensions. Toward the end calmly fading away into absolute peacefulness. A superb ending!!!

If you are craving for serenely drifting dreamscapes, always emotionally rich, Phillip Wilkerson is the guy you can definitely bet on!!! To me, "Sojourner" is the pinnacle of his extensive list of recordings. And if you still prefer rounded silver objects like me, Phillip Wilkerson's complete CDr discography is available at very friendly prices via Kunaki, so make sure to explore it and get ready for deep listening sessions!!!

Richard Gürtler (Aug 17, 2013, Bratislava, Slovakia)