MUSIC, AMBIENCE AND SOUND ART > Now Playing

Heavy music: turn it up to eleven!

<< < (2/5) > >>

| broken harbour |:

--- Quote from: petekelly on August 20, 2013, 02:32:09 AM ---I have to say a lot of it is very samey - so much angst ! (and so little dynamics and colour). I think a 'heavy ambient' band would be most welcome - loud/soft/loud etc :)

--- End quote ---

Most of Opeth's work would qualify. Especially Blackwater Park and Still Life.

Forget their first 2 albums tho....

I agree however, that most metal, especially modern stuff all sounds the same after a while.

SunDummy:

--- Quote from: petekelly on August 20, 2013, 02:32:09 AM ---I have to say a lot of it is very samey - so much angst ! (and so little dynamics and colour). I think a 'heavy ambient' band would be most welcome - loud/soft/loud etc :)
--- End quote ---

I agree; all that angst is a bit annoying.   :)  I think that's partly why I prefer bands with minimal vocals - just shut up and jam. 

Isis and Opeth both have an ambient side to them (depending on how you define 'ambient' I guess.) 

I've never cared much for the more song-oriented rock bands; I much prefer the total freakout freeform jam style bands.  Skullflower's early stuff hits that sweet spot:  drums and bass creating the scaffolding on which the feedbacky guitars hang.  Enough structure to keep things from completely falling apart, but it always feels like it's gonna go completely off the rails at any time...

Skullflower - IIIrd Gatekeeper

Earthless hit the spot too; much less 'noisy', but man can these guys jam:

Earthless Sonic Prayer Part 1

And of course, High Rise:

High Rise - Wipe Out

drone on:
Type O Negative--October Rust, World Coming Down, and Life is Killing Me.  Three absolute masterpieces of melodic metal.  In my top five ever bands, and I don't listen to much other metal.

Ein Sophistry:
Heavy music was my first love. I wasn't really interested in music at all until high school, and it was Tool's AEnima that finally did the trick.

Of late, I've really been into the work of Ben Sharp, who records under the name Cloudkicker. Complex, layered, angular, odd-time, HEAVY guitar work that nevertheless has a great sense of warmth and spaciousness, making the whole thing feel quite majestic. This stuff hits a lot of my ambient buttons, but in a very different way. There's a subtly-infused indie sensibility and a weird sort of nostalgia that accompanies the proceedings. All the heaviness aside, this is some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard. And, it's all instrumental, so no angsty grunting of pre-teen caliber poetry here.

A few choice cuts:

The heavy bit's in the middle, sandwiched between two lighter segues.
Viceroy (+ bracketing segues)

Awesome layering in the middle section of this one. Let it wash over you:
Push it Way Up!

One of his first released tracks. That riff at 1:35 and 4:36...so epic:
Hold On

Bear with the speed metal opening (if that's not your thing) and be treated to several tasty, majestic riffs, my favorite beginning at 1:07:
One Enemy Among Twenty-Five Million Friends

petekelly:
That 'Viceroy' track is really good - along the lines of what I'd like to do if I was working in the metal genre.

Here's a fave of mine:
Asteroid - coming in from the void !
KILLING JOKE-Asteroid

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version