Author Topic: Heavy music: turn it up to eleven!  (Read 1239 times)

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
Heavy music: turn it up to eleven!
« on: August 19, 2013, 04:45:38 PM »
The way I see it, there are only two kinds of music:  good music and bad music.  And good music comes in many flavors, not all of it tranquil and soothing...  So who else on this board likes the occasional blast of heavy?  And I don't mean Poison-esque cheeze-metal; I mean HEAVY heavy.  Bands that would stomp Poison into the ground like insignificant ants.

I, for one, enjoy the sonic assaults of High Rise, Mainliner, Earthless, Heavy Winged, etc.  There's something about a band teetering on the edge of control, everything as loud as it will go, just letting loose...  which brings me to one of my favorite heavy bands ever, Skullflower.  It seems their early catalog has finally been re-released in a very deluxe way.  I have most of this stuff (I managed to rip my CD's before the infamous cd-rot set in), but I am psyched for unreleased stuff from their earlier sessions, and remastered versions of the rest:

"Finally available, a much needed CD retrospective of Skullflower's early works from 1986 1990 spread across four separate releases, featuring all the material previously released on Broken Flag, Shock, Majora and Forced Exposure, plus around two hours of previously unheard music 14 of them spread across the series. And this is not 'out-take' dross used to fill up CDs, this is essential early Skullflower providing further insight into their uniquely twisted musical world. All material has been digitally mastered by Richard Whittaker at FX, and each CD comes in a deluxe gatefold card cover and inner sleeve with newly unearthed artwork by Matthew. Booklets feature extensive notes and previously unseen flyers, posters and photos."

Kino I:  Birthdeath comprises the remastered first 12" EP, available in its entirety for the first time since 1987, plus six previously unreleased, unheard and undreamed of tracks.

Kino II:  Form Destroyer includes the remastered first album - the best it's ever sounded, two 'bonus' tracks from Shock's long out of print RUINS and two previously unheard pieces. A truly monstrous disc of heavy, f*cked up music.

Kino III:  Xaman includes the most requested early Skullflower release, the original CD rendered unplayable by disc rot for 20 years and the subject of endless drivelsome internet speculation... Finally remastered, with new cover art from Matthew's archive.

Kino IV:  Black Sun Rising rounds up the first three 7" releases on Shock, Majora and Forced Exposure, the bonus track from THE PORTABLE ALTAMONT, plus six previously unreleased tracks including three from the XAMAN sessions.

So who else likes the RAWK?  What other essential gems need to be in any heavy music fan's collection?
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
Re: Heavy music: turn it up to eleven!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 05:55:35 PM »
The side of me that likes "heavy" music leans more towards 1980's American/British punk rock than metal, death metal, etc. Some of my favorites include Bad Brains, Minor Threat, Crass, D.R.I., and 7 Seconds. I also have a soft spot in my heart for some of the heavy metal and rock bands I grew up with, such as Rush, Van Halen, etc.

I'll have to check out Skullflower.

| broken harbour |

• View Profile
    • official website
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 06:48:55 PM »
Metal was the first kind of music that really spoke to me as a young lad.

I'm a big fan of Ministry, Nadja, Fear Factory, Opeth, Metallica, Strapping Young Lad....

phobos

• No choice is a choice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 12:43:12 AM »
Always loved metal and still do, especially really good Doom Metal.
Motorhead(The classic Filthy Phil, Fast Eddie & Lemmy line up), Opeth, Machine Head, Metallica, Agalloch, Saturnus.
http://soundcloud.com/phobos-2
http://phobos.bandcamp.com/
http://phobos-ambient.moonfruit.com/
"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."Leopold Stokowski

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 02:32:09 AM »
I grew up with heavy rock /metal. I'm really out of the loop as to the 'scene' these days, but I listen to a great 'heavy' radio station here in the UK called 'Teamrock radio'. So I'm now becoming a bit more up to date with things.
I have to say a lot of it is very samey - so much angst ! (and so little dynamics and colour). I think a 'heavy ambient' band would be most welcome - loud/soft/loud etc :)

I still think Killing Joke are one of the best heavy bands.

| broken harbour |

• View Profile
    • official website
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 06:06:41 AM »
I have to say a lot of it is very samey - so much angst ! (and so little dynamics and colour). I think a 'heavy ambient' band would be most welcome - loud/soft/loud etc :)

Most of Opeth's work would qualify. Especially Blackwater Park and Still Life.

Forget their first 2 albums tho....

I agree however, that most metal, especially modern stuff all sounds the same after a while.

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 08:09:42 AM »

I agree; all that angst is a bit annoying.   :)  I think that's partly why I prefer bands with minimal vocals - just shut up and jam. 

Isis and Opeth both have an ambient side to them (depending on how you define 'ambient' I guess.) 

I've never cared much for the more song-oriented rock bands; I much prefer the total freakout freeform jam style bands.  Skullflower's early stuff hits that sweet spot:  drums and bass creating the scaffolding on which the feedbacky guitars hang.  Enough structure to keep things from completely falling apart, but it always feels like it's gonna go completely off the rails at any time...

Skullflower - IIIrd Gatekeeper

Earthless hit the spot too; much less 'noisy', but man can these guys jam:

Earthless Sonic Prayer Part 1

And of course, High Rise:

High Rise - Wipe Out

I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 03:29:28 PM »
Type O Negative--October Rust, World Coming Down, and Life is Killing Me.  Three absolute masterpieces of melodic metal.  In my top five ever bands, and I don't listen to much other metal.

Ein Sophistry

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 11:01:28 PM »
Heavy music was my first love. I wasn't really interested in music at all until high school, and it was Tool's AEnima that finally did the trick.

Of late, I've really been into the work of Ben Sharp, who records under the name Cloudkicker. Complex, layered, angular, odd-time, HEAVY guitar work that nevertheless has a great sense of warmth and spaciousness, making the whole thing feel quite majestic. This stuff hits a lot of my ambient buttons, but in a very different way. There's a subtly-infused indie sensibility and a weird sort of nostalgia that accompanies the proceedings. All the heaviness aside, this is some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard. And, it's all instrumental, so no angsty grunting of pre-teen caliber poetry here.

A few choice cuts:

The heavy bit's in the middle, sandwiched between two lighter segues.
Viceroy (+ bracketing segues)

Awesome layering in the middle section of this one. Let it wash over you:
Push it Way Up!

One of his first released tracks. That riff at 1:35 and 4:36...so epic:
Hold On

Bear with the speed metal opening (if that's not your thing) and be treated to several tasty, majestic riffs, my favorite beginning at 1:07:
One Enemy Among Twenty-Five Million Friends
Ain Sophistry
In Pursuit of Philosophical/Scientific Clarity in Scientific/Philosophical Thought.

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 01:23:04 PM »
That 'Viceroy' track is really good - along the lines of what I'd like to do if I was working in the metal genre.

Here's a fave of mine:
Asteroid - coming in from the void !
KILLING JOKE-Asteroid

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 05:15:23 AM »
Only Heavy music Ive been into in recent years is Tool.......the videos below should come with some sort of warning.  Makes Hellrasier seem like a kids cartoon IMHO.  Kind of like the music better without the visual element.  Thats just me.

Tool - Stinkfist [hq - fullscreen]

Tool - Sober [hq - fullscreen]

Poaalpina

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 01:17:16 AM »
Russian black metal project. Only two members: Dmitry Lisitsky - Bass, Guitars, Drums; Roman Ivanov - Vocals.

Sect - Doomsday [Full - HD]

Anbient DNA

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 09:44:41 AM »
Some heavy stuff (while being quite melodic as well) is some cascadian black metal bands (or just black metal/post rock, however you want to term it) is Falls of Rauros (Maine!), Endless Sea and Sky Burial (where four rivers flow is awesome). All of these 3 bands put out some good stuff, some of it free via bandcamp or netlabel. Check them out and others of their ilk. Also been listening to Lycum and Eye of Solitude (doom/death/funeral doom).

Mike