Author Topic: Orbiting the Earth with an Audio System  (Read 1706 times)

Earth_Orbit

• View Profile
    • My Bandcamp
Orbiting the Earth with an Audio System
« on: August 25, 2013, 10:16:59 AM »
Greetings,

Long-time lurker, first time poster. 

Here is the last project:

http://earthorbitaudiosystem.bandcamp.com/album/magnetic

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.  My goal is to refine my sound/aesthetic and I'm thirsty for the feedback of this community.

Peace and Light.

Castleview

• View Profile
Re: Orbiting the Earth with an Audio System
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 06:46:51 PM »
I've actually come across your music before while looking around on Bandcamp.

Pretty good drone music.

Earth_Orbit

• View Profile
    • My Bandcamp
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 08:01:44 PM »
Thanks, I'm still trying to find my sound but I'm having fun and I think I'm making some progress.

I've followed you on Bandcamp, I'll be giving your work a listen over the next few days.

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 08:55:57 PM »
Thanks. I appreciate that.

I'm still trying to improve my music too. I feel like I'm grown a lot as a musician since I first started late last year but I feel like there's still a lot of room for improvement.

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 01:14:11 PM »
Nice work, Earth_Orbit. I have to admit that I'm a sucker for drone music. I also have been desiring a MOTM Cloud Generator for quite some time. Nice to hear it in action. BTW, welcome to the forum. There is a section for introductions on the forum and I would recommend using it. It helps us get to know you a little bit better. It's not required, but you'll find that people will tend to pay more attention to your music and are more likely to comment if they know a little more about you as a forum member.  :)
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

Earth_Orbit

• View Profile
    • My Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 06:33:37 PM »
Thanks for giving it a listen and for your warm welcome!

I'll be sure to fill out a brief intro, that certainly makes sense that it would likely help me to collect more feedback.

Also, I really like your signature.  I have a 12 year old Red Heeler mix recovering from a $3k leg surgery.  I'm still paying it off, but worth every penny...

Earth_Orbit

• View Profile
    • My Bandcamp
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 06:54:51 PM »
I'm likely just missing it, but I didn't see a section for introductions.

There isn't that much to say, really.  My older brothers introduced me to ambient and IDM music at a young age. We used to hang out and play Master of Orion and Xcom UFO Defense while rotating ambient records.

The first two CD's I bought were Aphex Twin Saw 1 and 2.  I grew up in Happy Valley Salt Lake City and it was difficult for me to find other people who were into the same sound which was sort of a feedback loop to get me more into it.

There was a brief testosterone dominated period of my youth where I was determined to be a successful DJ, but thankfully that didn't last very long.

I started listening to ambient music more in my late teens and I used to play a table-top RPG called GURPS, where we would always have textures on for atmosphere.  That was a big part of the reason I became so fascinated with the sound, in how in helped facilitate imaginative landscapes and other-wordly experiences.  This was right about the time that I started exploring altered states, and I've been gravitating towards this sound ever since. 

My favorite artist of all-time is Oophoi, his music changed my life.  I'm also a big fan of Steve Roach, Sleep Research Facility, Tomas Koner, Tomas Weiss, Mathias Grassow and Tetsu Inoue.  There are many other artists I enjoy, but these are my biggest influences.

I have a degree in "Sound Arts", whatever that means, and I now work as a sound designer and audio engineer in the Pacific NW, Seattle metro area.  I'd love to meet other folks in the area for friendship and collaboration if anyone else is out here.

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 08:03:19 PM »
Welcome. Interesting background. Enjoyed your sounds.

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 09:07:27 PM »
The introduction section is in the Everything And Nothing section, but what you wrote is a pretty good intro. I plan to download and listen to more of your music this weekend when I have more time. As I said earlier , I'm a sucker for drones, especially analog drones. We all came to this music through different paths which makes it interesting to read how others found it. Good luck with your music and I look forward to hearing more.

Earth_Orbit

• View Profile
    • My Bandcamp
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 09:45:45 PM »
Thanks, Chris23, I think I should have started posting here a long time ago. 

And, hdibrell, I'd be very interested to hear your feedback.  It's been a busy week for me too and I plan to listen to Castleview's work this weekend.  Do you have music online that I could listen to as well?

Earth_Orbit

• View Profile
    • My Bandcamp
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 10:34:52 AM »
I dig your aesthetic Castleview.  Especially liking "dronefest" and losing myself in the background image, a very nice juxtaposition.  The guitars and choirs gives it a real-world anchor that I really like, makes it sound organic.  Nice work, looking forward to the upcoming release.

Earth_Orbit

• View Profile
    • My Bandcamp
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 10:37:29 AM »
Here is the latest release:

https://earthorbitaudiosystem.bandcamp.com/album/threshold-guardian

I'm still learning how to tame the beast that is the DPO but the textured low freq from the A4 and the XS with m/s dynamics in the mix, came out pretty well.  Short of that, it was fun to make!

free download, sub or headphones recommended.

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 01:28:17 PM »
Just downloaded and am listening to Threshold Guardian. Sounds good so far. I just noticed your earlier post. No, I don't have anything up available for listening. I hope to remedy that soon. I'm getting a little more comfortable with digital recording and I have a much younger friend who is not like me and intimidated by computers who said he would help me. Now if I can just find the record button and figure out how to rewind the tape on my computer I will be okay.  ::)

Earth_Orbit

• View Profile
    • My Bandcamp
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 07:57:56 PM »
Thanks again for checking out The last effort, hdibrell.

I'm happy to put some of my fancy plugins to work on any two-track you record, just let me know =]

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 04:09:05 PM »
I really like the new track. It's a really neat drone piece with a nice industrial touch that doesn't become too abrasive. The subtle changes over time work really well.

Thanks for listening to my music too. I'm aiming to release my new album before the end of the month.

Earth_Orbit

• View Profile
    • My Bandcamp
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2013, 06:26:17 PM »
Thank you for your feedback and for giving it a listen.

Looking forward to the new release, I'm happy to master it free-of-charge, if you like.

Earth_Orbit

• View Profile
    • My Bandcamp
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2013, 02:12:33 PM »
Excited to announce the completion of the latest project:

https://earthorbitaudiosystem.bandcamp.com/album/true-night-sky

A collaboration with a friend located in Norway.  I think it came out really well, please have a listen.

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2013, 06:55:01 PM »
I need to give that new release a full listen. I had listened to part of it yesterday and I thought it was really good, but then I distracted by other things. I'll listen to the rest of it soon.

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2013, 08:21:52 PM »
True Night Sky is great. You did a great job controlling the frequencies (nice low to mid range), and there are subtle textures here and there that help it to make it more than just a big drone. I wonder how much your collaborator contributed because it does feel a bit different from your other stuff. Whatever he did, it seems like he contributed a good bit.

Earth_Orbit

• View Profile
    • My Bandcamp
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2013, 03:56:36 PM »
Just saw this comment, thank you for listening and for your feedback, Castleview!

I think the release landed in a good place and it was really fun to do the long-distance collabo with Theta. I agree that the result has a unique character contrasted with my previous efforts. Theta's contributions were numerous and can be hear throughout the entire listen.

Looking forward to your upcoming release, Castleview, and best regards!