Author Topic: My review of "The Physics Of Heaven" CDr by O÷phoi & Ran Kirlian  (Read 1537 times)

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
My review of "The Physics Of Heaven" CDr by O÷phoi & Ran Kirlian
« on: September 14, 2013, 05:12:01 AM »

O÷phoi & Ran Kirlian "The Physics Of Heaven" CDr

This collaborative project was released by Altera Orbe at April 20, 2013, just one week after the passing of Gigi, the grandmaster behind O÷phoi. The semi-finished recordings for this album were sculpted by Gigi at his studio Kiva during 2009-2011, while Ran Kirlian brought this highly ethereal effort into its final shape at his Blue_Room studio during 2012-2013. Italian Gianluigi "Gigi" Gasparetti aka O÷phoi needs no introduction here, he is one of the most respected drone virtuosos, who has left us tremendous amount of unforgettable aural meditations and who will always live in the memories we deeply treasure. Ran Kirlian, one of the driving forces behind Altera Orbe label, is one of the rising stars of the compelling Spanish ambient scene along the likes of Max Corbacho, Bruno Sanfilippo, Landru and Joxan Ruiz.

"The Physics Of Heaven" album immediately attracts with its impressive cover artwork, based on O÷phoi's original image with some additional manipulations by Ran Kirlian. The voyage launches with "Breath", which dives straightly into monstrous chasm of waving voice-like drones, monotonously embracing and guarded by distant rumbling metallic eeriness and organic traceries. 10 and a half minutes long drone wizardry, transporting into superiorly magnificent realms. "Ascend" takes us directly into a towering spiral journey, continuously expanding and excessively drifting through spatial immenseness. Grandiosely reverberating mind-bender!!! "White Shores I", the longest composition here with 20 minutes in length, unfolds into gorgeously graceful dimensions, where ebbing and floating washes are merged with soothingly sweeping ocean waves and seagulls calls. A beautifully continuous and mesmerizingly contemplative images are emerging and carrying the listener away into magically eternal domains. A deeply sophisticated atmospheric bliss, a journey into a vast emptiness of unexplored nothingness, an ultimate magnum opus!!! Exploratory odyssey culminates and reaches "White Shores II" and then tardily fades away into tranquil sublimity of celestial grandness. Relentlessly amorphous and warmly luminous!!! "Transmigration" shifts into monotonous shadowy drone terrains, rather monochromatic with flood tide of intenser, slightly fearing soundwalls. Profoundly mindscaping experience awaits!!! "The Golden Fields" close this exceptional journey with drones swerving into tremendously heartening metamorphosis, where light and dark colors compassionately coalesce together with soothingly encircling field recordings and emit marvelous gleam of blissfulness. Pure magic, thank you so much!!!

"The Physics Of Heaven" is absolutely essential, spiritually powerful recording, uniting together two kindred spirits, who explore the continuum of life and death. Ran, we are very grateful for bringing this album to us, Gigi would be really proud of it!!! The memory of this wonderful person will always be in our hearts. Gigi, we all miss you greatly!!!

Richard GŘrtler (Sep 14, 2013, Bratislava, Slovakia)

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
Re: My review of "The Physics Of Heaven" CDr by O÷phoi & Ran Kirlian
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 05:59:35 PM »
Nice review. Order placed!

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 05:54:53 AM »
Thank you, Chris, I am sure you will fully enjoy it!!!  :)

Richard

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 06:25:39 PM »
I'm usually not the biggest Oophoi fan but I already love some of his posthumous work, particularly this and I Can Hear The Wing Singing. I think both of those are AOTY candidates.
http://castleview.bandcamp.com/
New album available now!

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 12:57:41 PM »
I'm usually not the biggest Oophoi fan but I already love some of his posthumous work, particularly this and I Can Hear The Wing Singing. I think both of those are AOTY candidates.

Oophoi's music is hard to get into.

If I would recommend you two albums it would be Forgotten Rituals and  Signals From the Great Beyond (1cd version)

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 09:30:40 AM »

Oophoi's music is hard to get into.

If I would recommend you two albums it would be Forgotten Rituals and  Signals From the Great Beyond (1cd version)

I really liked The Spirals Of Time but I didn't care for The Dreams Of Shell or Behind The Wall Of Sleep.

I might check out those albums.
New album available now!

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 09:58:02 AM »
Oophoi's work is quite varied, even within his own genre 8).

Like any artist you have to explore and find the ones that grab you. Some can be very deeply minimal in nature - but I find it hard to seperate them out in order to think what someone might enjoy if there are some discs they have not.

Athlit is considered a classic and well worth digging into.

If you can clarify what aspects you liked in some and disliked inothers we might be able to make further recommendations.

Must admit I never found any of his music hard to get into.....

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 10:41:35 AM »
I'm not a fan of some of the sounds and textures he incorporates, especially the high end sounds.
New album available now!