Author Topic: Rigel Orionis discussion  (Read 24917 times)

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
Re: Rigel Orionis discussion
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2008, 05:50:06 PM »
most of the new stuff has arrived and - wow - these are some cool sounds! if i can figure out the didg - look out!
the gong and the talking drum are cooler than cool! combined with the singing bowl, we have some cool sounds. i will post some later in the week for some ffedback.
who can recommend a good didg instructional dvd?
all the best and God bless
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2008, 03:03:33 PM »
got a beeswax didg - smaller and easier to handle - and i am getting a good drone on it. also got a small frame drum and that has a great sound!
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2008, 04:30:50 AM »
got a beeswax didg - smaller and easier to handle - and i am getting a good drone on it. also got a small frame drum and that has a great sound!

big enough cheeks to blow into didge whilst gulping air in through nose. can be useful to start with something smaller - in my case an antelope horn - so your body understands what you are trying to get it to do without thinking it's gonna pass out.

darkenedsoul

• View Profile
    • Official Darkened Soul Website
Re: new stuff coming into the studio
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2008, 03:43:27 PM »
i have been doing some ebay shopping this weekend and have some cool stuff coming my way:
1. a "traditional brass 7" chinese gong"
2. a blue lagoon didgeridoo
3. a fire sketch beeswax-bamboo didg
4. an 11x7 djembe
5. a monkey talking drum
6. a sioux native American flute

i am waiting on bids on a quartz crystal bowl, a frame drum and another talking drum. i am psyched for this stuff to get here!

(does anyone have any recommendations on the 'learn to play the didg' cd's or dvd'd?)

Where you getting all the spare cash for this stuff? I could use some cash! ;-)  j/k. Interesting to see what your getting. I'm still working on playing guitar. I do need to sit down and PRACTICE more often than I really do.

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2008, 03:09:13 PM »
i have been doing some ebay shopping this weekend and have some cool stuff coming my way:
1. a "traditional brass 7" chinese gong"
2. a blue lagoon didgeridoo
3. a fire sketch beeswax-bamboo didg
4. an 11x7 djembe
5. a monkey talking drum
6. a sioux native American flute

i am waiting on bids on a quartz crystal bowl, a frame drum and another talking drum. i am psyched for this stuff to get here!

(does anyone have any recommendations on the 'learn to play the didg' cd's or dvd'd?)

Where you getting all the spare cash for this stuff? I could use some cash! ;-)  j/k. Interesting to see what your getting. I'm still working on playing guitar. I do need to sit down and PRACTICE more often than I really do.

i got almost all of the items from e-bay. i went on a fuck you buying spree a couple of weeks ago when i got really pissed at my wife. that is a very immature attitude and reflects the manic side of my mh issues. at least i spent the $ on stuff i can use.
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

michael sandler

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2008, 03:25:11 PM »
i got almost all of the items from e-bay. i went on a fuck you buying spree a couple of weeks ago when i got really pissed at my wife. that is a very immature attitude and reflects the manic side of my mh issues. at least i spent the $ on stuff i can use.

Money spent on music is never wasted (even if the motivation might not have been 100% in the name of art)  ;)

Mike S.

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2008, 01:37:50 PM »
folks, i don't want to jump the gun or the shark or whatever the fuck it is these days but i have received an offer to publish an updated version of tatu! until i get more details and a firm release date i will play it close to the vest but it is from a solid source and he/she has solid financial backing. i wish i could write more but i do not have more to give you.
i guess i am much more excited than i sound.
 ;D :D :o ::)
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2008, 05:27:45 AM »
Good Luck Jim, will keep fingers crossed....

lena

• Hypnos Manager/Life Manager
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2008, 09:25:56 AM »

i guess i am much more excited than i sound.
 ;D :D :o ::)

Nah, you sound pretty excited to me!  ;) (Fingers crossed here, too)...
When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction.

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2008, 12:00:09 PM »
picked up a new and full size acoustic guitar on e-bay the other day. the ebow works on it! if you haven't used your ebow on an acoustic guitar you are missing some very cool drones! i like making the drone and touching the ebow lightly against the string - the vibrato is very cool. i also use a sharpie and let it dangle against the string. it works best on thicker strings.
there will be some exciting news coming over the next couple of months. in addition to the tatu stuff i will have some new releases on my label and others soon. some very cool stuff, indeed.
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2008, 06:05:58 PM »
i got an electric bass for Christmas and it is cooler than cool! i got a small amp and i really love the sounds i can make. there are two knobs on the guitar. one is obviously volume and the other seems to be reverb or something similar. i like the warbling when i tweak the knob but what is it?
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

stuyvesant

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2009, 01:21:25 PM »
I am glad to see a thread for Jim here. I met him years ago at one of the Voices Beneath the Dome events. I just recently heard some of his music and it is pretty cool. Has anyone heard his new releases on Dark Duck?

SunDummy

• "Calm seas do not create good mariners."
    • View Profile
    • SunDummy.com
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2009, 03:13:42 PM »
I've been enjoying the "Anatomy of Zen" disks for a couple of weeks now; good stuff!  Kinda murky like Greinke's "Cities in Fog", but more droney; full of surprises ("face it, you've been a disaster..."); some strange pulses and subtle rhythms.  I really like this kind of style - nice work, Jim!
I wish I was a Glowworm; a Glowworm's never glum. 'Cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

www.sundummy.com

stuyvesant

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2009, 11:01:53 AM »
Thanks, Sundummy. I'll probably pick them up. Drony and murky is in my ballpark.

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2009, 04:00:29 PM »
picked up a thunder tube from musician's friend. wow! this is an extremely device. it is a spring attached to a hard cardboard tube with one end closed. it sounds like - duh! thunder when shaken. when used in different ways it makes a very electronic sound.
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2009, 04:01:29 PM »
I've been enjoying the "Anatomy of Zen" disks for a couple of weeks now; good stuff!  Kinda murky like Greinke's "Cities in Fog", but more droney; full of surprises ("face it, you've been a disaster..."); some strange pulses and subtle rhythms.  I really like this kind of style - nice work, Jim!
thanks, forest. i haven't posted here for a while and didn't see your compliment. i am really proud of those discs.
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2009, 01:16:27 AM »
picked up a thunder tube from musician's friend. wow! this is an extremely device. it is a spring attached to a hard cardboard tube with one end closed. it sounds like - duh! thunder when shaken. when used in different ways it makes a very electronic sound.

I've had a go at one of those but never bought one. Same as the 'ocean drum', double sided with beads or something in them - great sound but not got one yet.

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2009, 10:12:43 AM »
picked up a thunder tube from musician's friend. wow! this is an extremely cool device. it is a spring attached to a hard cardboard tube with one end closed. it sounds like - duh! thunder when shaken. when used in different ways it makes a very electronic sound.

I've had a go at one of those but never bought one. Same as the 'ocean drum', double sided with beads or something in them - great sound but not got one yet.
www.musiciansfriend.com
it's less than $10.00
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2009, 06:28:14 AM »
so i found an ocean drum, rainstick, shaker set at amazon for under $20. they are toys and that usually makes them more interesting.
jim
www.rigelorionis.com

jim brenholts

• View Profile
    • rigel orionis
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2009, 05:04:24 PM »
added a lap steel to my repertoire today. the ebow is the perfect compliment for this cool instrument. i am getting the feel for the bottleneck slide but had to order a tonebar.
the lap steel was $79.95 - inc shipping - on ebay. it might not be the best lap steel but for the price who cares?
jim
www.rigelorionis.com