Author Topic: GOT GEAR?  (Read 17276 times)

jkn

• Global Moderator
  • cake or death? cake please.
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
Re: GOT GEAR?
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2008, 07:46:30 AM »
I've seen that low with competitive upgrade (I have nothing that qualifies)... if you've seen it straight up for sale like that - yell - I'd definitely buy!
John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2008, 04:24:06 PM »
Komplete is just too much stuff, John. You will be overwhelmed. Whittle it down to just a couple a things.

Massive and FM8 --- wickedly powerful combo.

Or maybe just get Reaktor if you want to fiddle more and download hundreds of user creations for it (also stifling overload, but fun).

And yes, a new computer must be added to the bill.

On the other hand you could save money and get Reason.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2008, 04:47:45 PM »
It's not too hard to qualify for the Komplete upgrade deal:

If you own any major DAW or at least one NI to receive this special offer, then go ahead and purchase!

Qualifying Komplete 5 Crossgrade Programs

* Owners of any major DAW or any 1 NI product
    * Ableton Live or LE
    * Adobe Audition
    * Bias Peak Pro or LE
    * Cakewalk Sonar, Pro Suite, Home Studio
    * Coda Finale
    * Apple Logic Gold, Platinum, or Pro
    * IK Multimedia Sampletank
    * Image Line Fruity Loops
    * Magix Samplitude, Sequoia
    * MOTU Digital Performer
    * Make Music Finale
    * Mackie Tracktion
    * Sony Media Vegas, Vegas DVD, Acid
    * Pro Tools LE or TDM
    * Propellerhead Reason
    * Steinberg Cubas, Wavelab
    * Yellowtools Freedom, Independence
    * and more...

We do not require you to send us proof of ownership of the qualifying program to purchase this item. NI may ask you to provide the name of the qualifying program when registering.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

jkn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2008, 05:48:14 AM »
That list I could never find - I've got older copies of Vegas, Sound Forge, and Acid - actually I think my Acid is updated to version 6 or so...   hmmmm - very freaking tempting.

Unfortunately - I just got the 'big' hospital bill... assuming the old Komplete price of $999... My surgery is costing me out of pocket THREE copies of Komplete.    While I still owe SEVEN plus copies of Komplete on my new roof. 

Seems funnier when I put it that way... :)

Heck - what's amazing is on the bill my "implants" - which I'm assuming they mean the mesh they put in - since my breasts don't seem any larger...  Anyway - the implants cost nearly FIVE copies of Komplete!   All told... including everything I'm well above TWENTY-TWO copies of Komplete for double hernia surgery.   Yikes... and it was outpatient surgery!

John Koch-Northrup .: jkn [AT] johei.com .: owner / artist .: http://relaxedmachinery.com .: http://twitter.com/jkn .: http://flickr.com/johei

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2008, 11:25:38 AM »
That just shows you how screwed up our health care is. I mean that should only have cost 22 copies of Komplete crossgrade.  ;D
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

solyaris

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2008, 02:55:13 AM »

I'm not looking for mammoth synth stuff like a Virus TI or Korg Triton, the smaller the better.

very good trend!
You will see that after the "smaller is better" phase ...
you won't use synth at all!
seriously! ;-)

giorgio

Campus Stellae

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2008, 04:29:07 AM »
I don't think that "the smaller the better" is a good trend, and that the synths will soon disappear. Is this an attack to the electronic world? Or maybe just against the expensive electronic instruments? Hardware synths and samplers are the main part of my studio and I think it will be this way for the years to come. I don't use computers or softsynths, and I still record on magnetic tape using an analog mixing board. The most important thing for me is to get warm and organic sounds mixing "the best of both worlds": synths and several acoustic sources (small harps, singing bowls, chimes and natural objects). This process often takes me to wonderful, unexpected sounds, but I don't consider myself an acoustic artist, because I treat the acoustic sources with the digital processors, like all the other artists in this field. Can we consider Robert Rich or Jeff Pearce "acoustic musicians" just because they play a guitar? They route their guitars through a lot of expensive electronic devices, this is how they build their wonderful layers. We all know that better technology can improve our work, we should only accept this. I recently purchased two Eventide processors and I am simply amazed at how clean and powerful they are, they are opening new paths for me and my compositional process. It's been an interesting evolution for me, starting from the cheap reverbs of the late 80's up to these wonderful processors, so I can't really agree that "the smaller the better" is the right way.

solyaris

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2008, 05:46:32 AM »
I don't think that "the smaller the better" is a good trend, and that the synths will soon disappear. Is this an attack to the electronic world?

What do yuo mean with "electronic world" ? I don't think this "space" does exist! :)

Can we consider Robert Rich or Jeff Pearce "acoustic musicians" just because they play a guitar? They route their guitars through a lot of expensive electronic devices, this is how they build their wonderful layers.

Robert Rich and Jeff Pearce are not "acoustic musicians". Robert Rich is one of pionieers of "certain" peculiar electronic (just this "ambient" music...) in '80 ... nevertheless most interesting sounds they use come from an elaboration of a string ("acoustic") vibrations ...

We all know that better technology can improve our work, we should only accept this.

I absolutely do not think so! technology simply doesn't help human beings ... especially in art,
it's a complication of mind that instead would require paths to "silence of thoughts" ...
don't you think so ? ;)

It would interesting to understand what we mean with term "technology".
When we use computers ... mobile phones ... music workstations, hi-fi stereo, cars, etc. etc.
we are used to say that we use "technological" devices ...
It's all this stuff, real technology ? Or is it a fraud for mass-consumers ? ;)
And, a part that, does exist a "pure" technology that really help human beings ?

I recently purchased two Eventide processors and I am simply amazed at how clean and powerful they are, they are opening new paths for me and my compositional process. It's been an interesting evolution for me, starting from the cheap reverbs of the late 80's up to these wonderful processors, so I can't really agree that "the smaller the better" is the right way.

Personally, even if I'm a sw engineer ... (or just becuase this) I dislike to face with complex (sw/hw it doen't matter) algorithm-based (programmed) devices to make music... becuase in general the complexity  take away creative freedom a musician need when performing on musical instruments;
An approach that achive more results is wath you could call "bottom-up" approcah, where, starting with a simple, poor instrument, you are forced to get the best form it ... it happen that a creation start from a "bug" ... an "error" on device usage ;-) ...  I presume I coould avoid maggnificient examples of that in art and science! ;)

So I reaffirm the "simpler is better" generala statement.
In any cases, You don't have to agree with me! :)

I wish you all the best with Eventides that without dubts are amazing processors ...
But, I just listened yesterday some Robert Fripp recent recording with his famous processor-box containing two (or four?) Eventide among others .. I sincerely consider this music ugly ...

so it's really the technological power that help artists to explore news paths to beauty ?

giorgio

jkn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2008, 06:45:24 AM »

I'm not looking for mammoth synth stuff like a Virus TI or Korg Triton, the smaller the better.

very good trend!
You will see that after the "smaller is better" phase ...
you won't use synth at all!
seriously! ;-)

giorgio

Giorgio -

Maybe I shouldn't post this, but maybe it's my mood - so here we go...   I'm jumping on my soapbox...

You seem to be so against instruments and music that isn't to your specific liking.   Music is a lovely and wonderful thing - why are you so negative so often?    I realize you tossed a winky smiley in there - but your anti-synth jokes are fairly frequent.    It's perfectly acceptable that you don't like something - I think what bugs me is it seems you want everyone to agree with you.   That's just not going to happen.   

We all love different things - some people revel in simplicity and acoustic instruments and no electronics... some people love the latest hardware and software and find it inspiring.    The wonderful thing about this musical world of ours is we can embrace the things that make us personally happy...  for me - I love to sit at my piano and play (I've been doing it for 33 years)... and I love to twiddle the knobs on my mostly analog synths... I love my trumpet...  and I love to play bass because it feels like a part of me - I feel like I was "meant" to play these instruments somewhere deep inside of me.   When I pick up a guitar... yes, I can play it and it sounds ok - but it's not truly a part of me or an extension of me... it's a bit foreign to my body and soul and I have to think about it.   The same when I sit behind a drumset - I can keep time and do some simple things - but I'm not a drummer, never will be.

Just because I don't personally connect with a guitar doesn't mean that I think all other people shouldn't either - just listen to Christopher Short or Jeff Pearce or Michael Brook (or Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Kenney Burrell, Jack White, Chet Atkins, Eric Johnson, etc, etc. etc....)

On the other hand...

I do see your point you seem to be trying to make...  are electronic gadgets really that much better for humanity?   Yes and no.   I think we're much better off with most of what's been created - just the invention of canning, refrigeration, and my favorite... air conditioning! are enough to make me grateful people keep trying to push the boundaries of what can and can't be done.   Medical advances are staggering compared to 10, 20, 50, 100 years ago... 

It seems you're frustrated with mass marketing of products... and on that point - I do agree with you.     Do I enjoy seeing a drug commercial over and over and over for something that only a small percentage of people truly need?   Do I enjoy the 'planned obsolesence' that seems to be a prime factor in electronics... nothing seems to last any longer.   

However, I think people are better off with all these gadgets.   :)

ok - soap box over.

John

solyaris

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2008, 07:51:12 AM »

You seem to be so against instruments and music that isn't to your specific liking.   Music is a lovely and wonderful thing - why are you so negative so often?    I realize you tossed a winky smiley in there - but your anti-synth jokes are fairly frequent.    It's perfectly acceptable that you don't like something - I think what bugs me is it seems you want everyone to agree with you.   That's just not going to happen.   

no John :)
you are wrong on that and there is a general misunderstanding pheraps ...

I feel sorry that you could think that I want everyone agree with me .. .
here in this forum with my point of view, it's impossible! ;)

I believe artist need  the maximum freedom to search his paths
and is just because this that I complain regarding something I believe some "homologations";

I'm not anti-synth with a biased position and I'm not a guitar-music "supporting" (as someone here presume to know :( ...). Guitar is my instrument of course (more hated than loved), and I programmed synths for many years.

What is important for me as, let me say, "composer" ... is the "synthesis" of sound in facts, simply speaking; that's why I'm feel far away with the nowadays trend on commercial (digital) electronic instruments that we believe amazing but instead often are prison for creativity, following paradigmas that take away freedom to composer ...

Medical advances are staggering compared to 10, 20, 50, 100 years ago...
I'm recently had to "visit" an hospital in my country because a desease ... and the term "technology" and "user" friendly are not the best terms to describe the social scenario ;)

It seems you're frustrated with mass marketing of products... and on that point - I do agree with you.

mass marketing of products ...
the mass marketing of human beings processes ...
the mass marketing of art (as human being gesture) ...

giorgio

jkn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Relaxed Machinery
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2008, 08:12:35 AM »
Ok - I'm coming around...

You and I probably agree more than I at first realized.   Communication on a forum can be difficult at times. 

Is this closer to what you're meaning?    I find that many modern synths (software or hardware) have a lot of presets - whether it's preset sounds, or preset beats, or preset songs - the ability to almost play themselves.    Which when used heavily - or by someone who hasn't peeled back the layers and really learned how to use the instrument fully - can lock the user into using those presets and essentially writing songs that have already been written.    This seems somewhat similar to your thought of a "prison for creativity".

In that sense - I think we might be on the same page unless I'm missing something.

I do think those are still just tools and in the right hands... still wonderful things.   I definitely see your point thought.   

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2008, 08:44:44 AM »
On the presets issue ...

Having lots of presets is perhaps to do with the cheapness of physical memory these days. And yes, lots of presets is often a selling point for obvious reasons.

But lots of presets does give the composer more starting points for sounds. No need to build from the ground up each time if you have found something close to what you want among the presets. They have their virtues.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

solyaris

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2008, 09:17:55 AM »
Communication on a forum can be difficult at times.
i see and pheraps my English is not sufficient to express my thoughts. 

I find that many modern synths (software or hardware) have a lot of presets - whether it's preset sounds, or preset beats, or preset songs - the ability to almost play themselves.    Which when used heavily - or by someone who hasn't peeled back the layers and really learned how to use the instrument fully - can lock the user into using those presets and essentially writing songs that have already been written.    This seems somewhat similar to your thought of a "prison for creativity".

yes: so the "preset" in a very general sense ...
not specifically to say a "synth patch",
but more generally as a pattern to guide mind ...

you could find my statement excessive, but I'm very focused on this point; coming back on guitar ... what I hated at point to stop playing jazz in middle of '80s (but restarting from scratch twenty years ago with my current "solyaris music" project) is because my hate for the "pattern" used by guitarists also in a music with pretension of freedom as jazz ... I'm not referring to melodic  / harmonic  rhitmic patterns in strict sense,  but to the general mind approach of the instrumentalist  (same for piano players...!...).. so we are often inprisonned on liks / tastes / fashions ... "without freedom" in one word.

Let me give you an example of concept opposite to that  "prison for creativity".
So let me "positive" ;) with a counter example of "trend to freedom" ..
and let me use "science" context instead of music making:

when I was studiing at university I loved so much my "analysis" and "phisics" genial professor ... The beautiful paradox was his approach on teaching complex mathematical topics as integral calculus: he bringed you (the student) from scratch to re-path, re-invent ... to understand the concept of "limit" (just an example), without the dogmas of inextricable demonstration of a theorems! ... After his amazing lessons I was so exited and on the other hand I thought majority of engineering students (we) was unable to "understand" him, so closed (us) in the mind pattern of scientific topics students ... do you know what I mean ?

So the "pattern" is that awful "prepared" brain machine.
Only a bug could let the mind "reset"
and again rebuilding another machine ...

so, wath I fight is this culture of "preparation" of a presetted mind ...

ach! the path to freedom is far away :)

giorgio
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 09:29:17 AM by solyaris »

Campus Stellae

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2008, 10:26:06 AM »
Presets? I don't use the presets, everytime I have a new synth I cancel all the presets and start from scratch. I don't think that the digital machines are like prisons for our creativity, I use them since many years and I feel like I have just scratched their surface; every synth is a world of its own and we must learn how it works and how it "thinks", only in this way we can get the sounds we need and be creative. Programming synths is one of the most interesting things an electronic artist can do, IMHO. Maybe Solyaris wants to tell us that digital synths have a lot of limits, due to their architecture... I could reply, yes, we all know that, but still I can see millions of possibilities behind a digital synth, we need time to discover all its features and transform all the defects into good things. I recently purchased two very old digital synths - a Wavestation and a JD990 - and I'm totally satisfied with this old technology, we can still use it these days with incredible results. The music comes from our mind and our soul, not from the machines. As for the latest Robert Fripp cd, Solyaris says that it is ugly music done with a couple of Eventide processors: I don't know this cd, but I would never say that the music is ugly because of the processors involved! How could you say that?
Unfortunately, I am not a "trained" musician, I cannot "read" or "write" music, but technology has given me the opportunity to express my inner feelings, and to transform them into "sounds" that can reach the people out there. I'm very grateful for that. I know that a "real" musician can express the same feelings just with a piano, or a classical harp, or a sitar, and I recognize the power of the acoustic music (one example for all, indian devotional music: a singer, a tabla and an ancient string instrument), but again the main thing behind "true" music is the artist's soul, and I know a lot of true music coming from many ambient musicians using electronic instruments.
One last thing: in these summer nights, my ears are delighted by the best musicians of this planet: crickets. I'd like to discover their secret, as these small animals create truly outstanding patterns and layers every night, with a "basic" technology. Their hypnotic lullabies are there for free, to remind us that this is a living planet. I hope that one day we'll be able to discover the technology that can bring us to their level.

sraymar

• View Profile
    • Steve Raymar
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2008, 05:54:36 PM »
I stepped on one of those musicians last night to prevent him from doing a solo concert. They're fine outside in an ensemble but inside forget it.

Oh those presets. I like to use them, my first synth had them and I thought it was really cool that alot of music used the same synth sounds but in different compositions. But the ear gets used to them and wants to hear more variation so I modify them and also create them from scratch. Same with samples. But
the cool thing about ambient music is that you get the chance to transcend the static preset and keep the sound evolving. It really doesn't matter what size the synth or type, use as many or as little as you like, or abandon them altogether.

Steve

Ambient isn't just for technicians!

The artist isn't a special kind of man, but every man is a special kind of artist.

Don't be afraid to grow, give yourself a chance.