Author Topic: NOW AVAILABLE FROM GEARS OF SAND "MACHINA MUNDI" BY GYDJA  (Read 3268 times)

Ben Fleury-Steiner

• View Profile
NOW AVAILABLE FROM GEARS OF SAND "MACHINA MUNDI" BY GYDJA
« on: May 08, 2008, 10:01:56 AM »
The brilliant New Zealand sound sculptor Abby Helasdottir (aka Gydja) has crafted a complex lifeworld on Machina Mundi. As Abby describes "the original idea was based around Newton's clockwork universe." The listening experience brings to mind vast images of an entire floating planet-- translucent like a post-industrial snowglobe--revealing intricate machines, plant life, and weather systems moving apart, together, in a strange otherworldly ballet.

Purchase and Sound Samples Click Link Below

http://cdbaby.com/cd/gydja

About the Artist:

Abby Helasdottir has been creating music since 1995 under the name Gydja (an Old Norse word for priestess). Initially, the aim of the project was to create music that could be used for magickal and shamanic purposes. Some of the earliest ideas involved using field recordings, and basing whole pieces on these sounds in a largely unprocessed way. This is still a concern of Gydja, but with more emphasis now being placed on abstracting these sounds so that, whilst they retain a sense of their original source, they become something else entirely. The current style of Gydja differs from the initial intentions of the project, with music of both a mundane and magickal nature being created. And whilst the music is usually linear and could be defined as a soundscape, it is also not necessarily always dark ambient in style, embracing electro-acoustic and experimental techniques. Works designed specifically for magickal use sit alongside explorations of sound for sound's sake; and in a third tier, some exploration of sound contain magickal themes, even if there is no practical magickal application intended.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 04:08:53 PM by Ben Fleury-Steiner »

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
Re: NOW AVAILABLE FROM GEARS OF SAND "MACHINA MUNDI" BY GYDJA
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 10:06:16 AM »
Wow, Ben, that sounds fantastic. We're big Gydja fans here.

Originally she sent us a track for the Message from a Subatomic World compilation, but her submission arrived just after we'd filled up the roster.  So, conveniently enough Gydja is female so she claimed the first roster spot on the Echoes of Polyhymnia compilation.  We love what we've heard so far and I'm eager to hear more from Gydja.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

lena

• Hypnos Manager/Life Manager
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 10:19:14 AM »
Yes, that's great!

Congratulations to Gydja on her album, and I'm very excited to have one of her songs, "Wave-Particle Duality" on Polyhymnia. I think that everyone will greatly enjoy it!
When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction.

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 12:07:06 PM »
Her Mystery Sea release is awesome.......

Ben Fleury-Steiner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 04:14:52 PM »
Mike & Lena--

I can't tell you how thrilled we were when Abby agreed to release Machina Mundi on Gears of Sand Recordings.

Her music is truly breathtaking and I agree Umbilicus Maris absolutely blew me away when I first heard
it--Daniel (Mystery Sea head honcho) and I trade often--and this one is easily in my Top 5 in the night ocean drones series....

I look forward to hearing her work on the forthcoming Hypnos comp!

Ben

Gydja

• View Profile
    • Gydja
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 01:18:56 AM »
*curtsies*
I received my copies the other day. Thanks to Ben for releasing this.

Ben Fleury-Steiner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 08:54:13 AM »
good news, A!  I was hoping they'd cross the pond in one piece... 8)