Author Topic: A Favor from my Hypnos friends.  (Read 1836 times)

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
A Favor from my Hypnos friends.
« on: October 15, 2013, 03:00:35 PM »
I would like to ask a favor of all my friends here on Hypnos. I recently had the great pleasure of composing the music to a video on the art of Trang Le. Her painting 111,978 is an incredible and important work on the Iraq war. The rest of her body of work is just as amazing. Right now she has an article up on kcet.org, the website for a local TV station here in LA. The article on her is in competition with another article on local DJ culture which if you ask me is not really a fair fight. Basically one solitary artist (sound familar? Just like most of us here) against a group of DJs and the young hip crowd who are very savvy with social media, basically a whole community. If she wins the competition the prize will be KCET TV will make a documentary on her and her art. So I am asking all of my friends to vote for her. You can vote once per day per location. So your home computer, your work computer, your local coffee shop, even the browser on your smart phone, they will all count as separate votes. Please as a favor to me and for her seriously consider voting. The vote is very close right now, even voting once might put her over the top, here's the link where to vote, you can also read the article on her from here:

http://www.kcet.org/arts/artbound/vote/vote-metralleta-de-oro-vs-paintings-of-trang-t-le.html

Also, here's the video I scored about her artwork:

!

Thank you for your consideration.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
Re: A Favor from my Hypnos friends.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 03:56:57 PM »
Loren, I really like the painting, and also your music. I voted -- will try to remember to do so again. Feel free to nag us all to remember to vote again later!
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 04:02:06 PM »
Thanks for voting and thanks for the compliment about the music. It looks like they go by different ip addresses, so you can vote multiple times from different locations. So if you have computer access at work you can cast a vote there  and then go home and vote again. Just wanted to make that clear. Thanks again for everyone who has voted already, it is still very close and every vote makes a big difference.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 04:06:38 PM »
I tried voting from a second computer here at work but the web site said "Sorry, we've already received your vote" so the computers here must present the same public IP address.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

chris23

• View Profile
    • bc
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 04:32:49 PM »
Vote cast--and will do so from home and office tomorrow.

I agree with Mike: Both the music and the art were great.

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 04:36:27 PM »
Loren there is this beautiful darkness to the music when the video begins that suggest the meaning behind the work of art.....until later in the video when the truth behind all those painted circles is explained.
Cant say when i have been so emotional moved.  As a viewer & listener to the piece there is a calmness and purpose to the experience even if it has not been for the artist.  I wish I could see the work.  The music takes the backstage, as a score should yet lifts the the visual art and documentary to a point of quiet elation.  I will vote as often as I can!

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 05:49:37 PM »
Thank you Julio for your kind words. I shared them with Trang, she was very touched and would like to put them on her website.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 08:13:25 PM »
Voted. Will try to do more.

Awesome mood in the music, Loren. Excellent.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

hdibrell

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 08:59:17 PM »
Just voted from my computer and then tried to vote again from my iPhone. It informed me that my vote had already been counted. Like Mike said, don't hesitate to remind us. I sometimes have a hard time remembering my socks in the morning.  ;)
Never regret money spent on old books, old dogs or old friends.

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 09:18:00 PM »
Hi Loren,

I voted, too.  Very beautiful music and painting--the music's sustained mood complements the flow of the painting very well.  The circles reminded me of little plankton.  One of the other paintings reminded me Clyfford Still and Indonesian ikats.  Hope she wins!

Forrest

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 12:54:52 AM »
I've voted twice now - seems to be a close run thing as last night the votes were equal.

will try again from home tonight.

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 04:34:12 AM »
Hi Loren.....Trang can use anything Ive said about her work and your music.  I have watched the video many times and paused it where the full painting is in view.  It is very comforting and peaceful.  As a surfer I am familiar with the world below the ocean surface and this is what I see. As the power of the ocean holds you under....hopefully not for to long....the kaleidoscopic colours and thousands of bubbles within the silence envelopes until the ocean release you back up into the air.  I will think of air bubbles in the ocean as "souls at rest"  Thanks so much for introducing Trang's beautiful art to me/us

1 computer vote and 2 iPhone votes so far.....will do more later at work

Bill Binkelman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 07:45:48 AM »
Saw the message about this at Relaxed Machinery and have voted 3 times (twice from home and once from work) so far and will continue voting as well. Good luck!
May the odds be ever in your favor.

Scott M2

• View Profile
    • dreamSTATE
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 08:28:31 AM »
Loren, the piece and your music are deep and moving. I had no problem voting from Canada.

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 09:22:53 AM »
Thanks everyone for voting and your kind words about my music and Trang's art. Yes, you can vote from anywhere in the world, it doesn't seem to matter, I  know of at least a couple people who have voted in France. Also consider this your reminder to vote again today, you guys are making a big difference, as I type this she is ahead by 25 votes, that is the largest margin so far in the three days of voting. Thanks again for everyone's support.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 11:04:07 AM »
I followed the link to vote, but couldn't find where to do it.
Am I missing it, or is it a Facebook only thing ? 

lena

• Hypnos Manager/Life Manager
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • hypnos.com
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2013, 11:48:43 AM »
Voted today, will vote again tomorrow.
When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction.

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 12:04:04 PM »
I followed the link to vote, but couldn't find where to do it.
Am I missing it, or is it a Facebook only thing ?

Its not a facebook thing, its a direct vote. When you get to the page you should see something that looks like this:

Click on Trang T Le, then click on vote, you should see a running score of votes after that. Thanks for your support.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2013, 12:10:52 PM »
Hi Loren,

Am running one of those blocking things so it wasn't visible, sorted now (I thought I was being really daft missing it !) Have just voted.

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 03:47:14 PM »
Looks like she's pulling ahead.  Up by over 50 votes now.

Forrest