Author Topic: My review of "Medicine Work" CD by Byron Metcalf & Rob Thomas  (Read 318 times)

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
My review of "Medicine Work" CD by Byron Metcalf & Rob Thomas
« on: October 06, 2013, 07:24:11 AM »

Byron Metcalf & Rob Thomas "Medicine Work" CD

An invitation to journey through ancient realms by two medicine men, productive Arizonian shamanic tribal trance drummer Byron Metcalf and virtuoso didgeridoo performer Rob Thomas, one half of the legendary Inlakesh project. "Medicine Work" CD was released during June 2013 on Byron's Dr. BAM's Music. Yes, I was very excited when heard about this collaborative project for the first time. Byron Metcalf keeps busy with his solo projects during the last few years as well as with numerous, highly acclaimed projects with Steve Roach, Mark Seelig or Dashmesh Khalsa. On the other side, Inlakesh was quite silent since their 1999's masterpiece "The Gathering", but I know Rob & Tanya were involved in numerous projects during this period of time, including their latest move from New Mexico's Santa Fe to the mountains of North Carolina to work full-time for Didgeridoo Down Under school programs that combine music, art, social studies, science, reading encouragement, character building. Deep respect for their beautiful mission!!! Of course I will always miss Inlakesh, but who knows, maybe one day... In any case, I will keep my ear to the ground.

The album's title and immersing cover image by Kati Astraeir set the atmosphere even before the first note. But then 14-minute opener "This Way" unfolds with primordial hum, but soon Rob's mysterious didgeridoo drone joins along with Byron's rattle and shaker magics and sparse shamanic drums. Unmeasurable artistry of both curanderos melts together into one, hauntingly cohesive body and slowly unwraps into deeply magnificent and utterly mindscaping vibrant ancient terrains. A true shamanic tribal trance experience awaits!!! "A Deeper Descent", slightly longer than its ancestor, is leaded by spellbinding growls of didge, surrounded by humming wind and deep groans. During the second third thunderous drum passage sneak in, but also intensely mesmerizing shaker rhythms want to keep the pace and highlight this ceremonial rite. Your body and mind is bathed with pure sonic elixir exhibiting chromatic range of two acoustic virtuosities, more please!!! The title track "Medicine Work" keeps on the path with didge drone mysteries, but soon drumming mastery steal the show and takes it into hyper-active organics bridged with sharply shimmering shakers and tight didge backups. A highly tempestuous amalgamate, nearly 17 minutes long, reaches its volcanic peak two minutes before its end. A genuine sound magic!!! 8-minute "Gates Of Initiation" continue with more relieving mind-trip, merging hypnotic tribal rhythms, dreamtime didge, expressive breaths and primal rumbles. Yes, slightly lighter composition, but still profoundly immersing and transcendent!!! "Servants Of The Mystery" is the closing and longest piece, revealing with pristine trance-induced percussions and circling drone pipe hypnotics and growls. Evolving and cascading through briskly moving, positively psychoactive rhythm expansions before diffusing on the cloud banks of didge drones. Another fascinating soundscape!!!

Byron Metcalf and Rob Thomas are high-spirited performers, who are exposing on "Medicine Work" all their musical intelligence and artistry and demonstrate their iconic, distinctive musicianship. They both make music with heart and passion, that's "Medicine Work"!!! Amazing sound quality too, so headphones are highly recommended!!! A truly essential, deeply rewarding listening!!! And most recently, about two weeks ago Mark Seelig has stopped in Prescott Valley at Byron's new studio to enjoy their recording session for their newest collaborative project...

Richard Gürtler (Oct 06, 2013, Bratislava, Slovakia)