Author Topic: Experiences with Mac OS X Mavericks?  (Read 619 times)

El culto

• View Profile
Experiences with Mac OS X Mavericks?
« on: November 05, 2013, 11:18:44 AM »
Hi there,

someone around here already running it?

It seems they changed quite a lot there!

It´s tempting because it´s free...BUT….never change a running system  ;D

Greetings,
Tomas

Antdude

• I was told there would be no math
    • View Profile
Re: Experiences with Mac OS X Mavericks?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 11:55:37 AM »
As an OS X fan, I like the upgrade. There are some very nice new features.

However as with any major OS upgrade, and as a video editor who has had this issue before, I would say do not upgrade during a project. You may find applications behaving strangely or projects losing assets. If you have active projects, finish them first.

As you said, Mavericks is free. It will be there when you're ready. Just make sure your work is safe and backed up before you upgrade.
There is no spoon. Which sucks because I have a pudding cup.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 12:07:32 PM »
I upgraded my Macbook Pro to Mavericks, and everything works fine except Pathfinder, which is a sort of Finder replacement, and Xmarks for Safari, which is a bookmarks sync application.

I don't use the Macbook Pro for anything audio-related except I just put a trial version of Ableton Live 9 on it, which worked fine, no problems.

I just ordered a tiny little Macbook Air for work, which will have Mavericks preinstalled, so that will give me more hands-on time with the new OS, when that arrives later this week.

Overall, I'm fine with it, but as both El culto and Antdude said, it's better to be cautious about upgrading a system on which you need to do important work, especially an in-progress project. It would be terrible to be unable to access something you were in the middle of, and for this reason I usually don't upgrade my main computer until some times has passed. May primary Mac Pro is stuck on 10.7 because Mountain Lion doesn't support my video card... so by the end of the year, I'll  finally be upgrading my main computer after nearly 10 years with this Mac Pro.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Julio Di Benedetto

• Life is a privilege, not a right!
    • View Profile
    • Digtalvoices
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 09:38:07 PM »
What you will not see on the new OSX.....the real Mavericks :o.  I have surfed good size waves but nothing like this nor will I ever.  Like Mike Im waiting

Mavericks in Half Moon Bay CA - Big Wave Surfing buy "Riding Giants" awesome video

El culto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 07:25:03 AM »
Thanks Guys for all the comments!

I´ve finally decided to wait too…anyway i´m fine with Mountain Lion so far.

Cheers,
Tomas

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 08:56:22 AM »
I've now updated 3 machines to Mavericks, and overall it seems like a very good upgrade. I wouldn't hesitate to install it on any Mac I own, though my Mac Pro doesn't support it.

Anyway, those of you who are unsure about Mavericks might as well wait. It doesn't include any updates or enhancements that are so critical.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions