Author Topic: Musicians should be paid for their work.  (Read 468 times)

Antdude

• I was told there would be no math
    • View Profile
Musicians should be paid for their work.
« on: November 07, 2013, 10:50:38 PM »
In this age of more and more disposable entertainment and media, I admire this reminder of what it takes to create art and why it has a value beyond just enjoying it:

http://musicfeeds.com.au/news/uk-artist-slams-tv-company-over-free-music-requests/

The TL;DR is that a major company trying to get an artist's work for nothing because "there was no money in the budget for music" deserves neither the music nor anyone's sympathy and the artist does a brilliant job of exposing their miserly attempts at getting something for nothing.

Not to get on a high horse, but if I can pay for my music, then certainly a large company can find it in the register or the couch cushions, to do the same. And having licensed music for productions in the past, there are always options to make your budget work for you. If even that fails, there is still lots of good free music out there if you're willing to make the effort, instead of just taking the cheap & lazy way out. 

I liked this guy's reminder that creativity is not just its own reward, and, yay Capitalism!
There is no spoon. Which sucks because I have a pudding cup.

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
Re: Musicians should be paid for their work.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 09:09:36 AM »
Absolutely, (I replied to a posting of this on the RM Ning earlier)
I bet 'Zoe' and BettyTV (who seems to make dire 'reality' shows) have been getting 'their collars felt' (so to speak) by lots of musicians !