Author Topic: Ambient on youtube  (Read 526 times)

Horizon 1982

• View Profile
Ambient on youtube
« on: September 10, 2014, 12:32:50 PM »
I've showed a friend some ambient that I enjoy, Mike Griffin, Oophoi and others in the same genre.

The guy said:

'It's lifeless simple and morbid'

On the other hand he said he enjoys a lot this one:

Dark Ambient Music - Frozen

Do you think a pretty video and images makes a bad/unnoticed track interesting and vice versa?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 02:25:22 PM by Cosmic Fabric »

Ekstasis

• View Profile
Re: Ambient on youtube
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 02:23:27 PM »
I am little bit against adding visuals to ambient music... it will change the way you perceive the music it will also fill in possible "void" that maybe the music is lacking.. in some cases the music is not good on its on but with added visuals it gets more stimulating.. I still think ambient music should be percived with headphones on in bed at night..with no external stimuli....

There is few exceptions ... http://www.cobaltsun.net/dvds/index.html
This visuals I think is in perfect harmony with the music on the "brain wave" level.. I have never tried a viritual headset myself..samsung just released a VR set for their Galaxy note 4... I am pretty sure this dvd would immersie my mind totally with a the VR headset would be interesting to experience...

But in most cases on youtube there is just majestic visuals added to mediocre music to add a 3rd dimension to enhance the music. But you will just notice the lack of substance in the music with the visuals are turned off.. in my opinion it is just a cheap trick to trick our minds... I think a of commercial labels without mention names use visuals to in advertising purpose to make the music more intersting then what it really is.. where the visuals gives substance to the music.. the ambient music experience should be a reflection of your on mind and let your own mind create the inner pictures.atleast for me this is what gives ambient music any substance at all...the essence in the music is where the music takes my mind...  Adding visuals in youtube videos does rearly reflect what the pictures my mind is creating...it might gives me wrong atmosphere and colors.. it gives me on wrong track..
I think the artist should be careful with adding visuals and select artwork carefully..  a lot of ambient artists have majestic and professional photographs on the cd cover, but does not reflect the music, feels in many cases it is just there to give the album "attention"..
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 02:55:13 PM by Ekstasis »

Horizon 1982

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 02:42:01 PM »
Hallå Extasis

Yeah that was the theme we were discussing the other day, but this real case with my friend here made me bring this subject to this forum :)

He was telling me that it wasn't because of the video and he really thinks that youtube track is actually better than the artists mentioned above. But I agree with you and his mind certainly has been tricked because of the video.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 03:29:13 PM by Cosmic Fabric »

drone on

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 02:58:47 PM »
Why would you post this on the Hypnos website, specifically about Mike's music?  Seems like you could've made your point a different way.  Just my opinion.

Horizon 1982

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 03:06:30 PM »
Why would you post this on the Hypnos website, specifically about Mike's music?  Seems like you could've made your point a different way.  Just my opinion.

Because it's an ambient related theme and I would like to read the opinion of others. Yeah you are right, I could made my point in a different way, but this is how it happened and I want to portray the conversation like it was :)

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 03:36:01 PM »
just to add..I did not imply about mikes music or video in my post... in fact I am on wifi right now at work so I have not had the chance to play the video in the first post...

I just think the audio visual..is an category on it is on with a few exceptions ass the Lynn dvd I did mention...

Horizon 1982

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 03:55:27 PM »
Of course Mike's music is great, to me that is obvious, he's one of my top artists. The question here is about visuals on ambient music and how that affects a track perception.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 03:30:24 AM »
Of course Mike's music is great, to me that is obvious, he's one of my top artists. The question here is about visuals on ambient music and how that affects a track perception.

for me personally the best ambient does not need an visuals added.  For me it destroys music in most cases and is mostly a "distraction" which does not mirror my own mind and inner visuals.  Some labels use beautiful visuals to give more substance into the music for commercials purposes, but when you then listen the music at home alone without youtube visuals it is not as interesting anymore.

Seren

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 07:12:30 AM »
Visuals vs non visuals - interesting question.

I can see how both have their pros and cons - in one of my imaginations i thought of doing a live gig where everyone gets a blindfold - so no visuals whatsoever.

However as a child of the fractal generation I find such infinite images as mind opening as the music.....

jpharr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 05:09:58 AM »
I can see value to both approaches (listening with / without accompanying visuals). Certainly the listener's own imagination and the mental images, feelings etc. that the music can create on its own are the most important. Without that personal connection, there would be very little purpose or content in the whole thing! I feel that's true to enjoying any artform, whether audio/visual or otherwise.

With ambient music in particular, I think there are many layers to the listening experience, and there are potentially several ways to listen to an album. Sometimes I let my imagination wander freely, sometimes I enjoy letting the artwork play more of a role (and often it's a mix of the two). Often it depends on the time of day as well and where I am. The question of whether or not some image / video, or other "extra element" (such as text) fits the music or not is of course very subjective... and also depends on the type of artwork involved, whether it's completely abstract and textural, or something more concrete.

As for the marketing element, it is obvious that this plays a role for any musician who is making their living from the art they create. Regardless, I like to think it's possible to go an extra mile with this and do one's best to produce work that has some sense of soul to it, even if it's just part of the packaging or a promo video. Of course, when creating such things, I can't guarantee everyone will agree with the outcome... in this sense at least, it's a very similar process to music-making! My attitude towards this may also be "somewhat" biased, since I spend a fair amount of my free time in this area, for better or worse ;)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 05:12:13 AM by jpharr »

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 06:59:38 AM »
Good topic, and a nice thoughtful post from jpharr.

Clearly people have their preferences, and there is no one way music should be listened to. I'm sure we have all been taken in by great graphics but found the music wanting, and had great music with graphics we didn't find appealing. The above video, for me, is an example of excellent graphics where the music is more like an accompaniment, and the graphics the more interesting part. But when the two come together well for the listener, the experience can be more than the sum of the parts. Just as considerable thought and effort should go into the music, the same is true for any graphics an artist puts with that music ... especially ambient music, because it is often so visually suggestive anyway.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 04:03:03 AM »
I think some similiar thoughts were covered on a different thread (artistic reasonings aside) that a lot of people go to Youtube to seek out music. So creating videos to accompany the music makes sense from my point of view, I know they can be downloaded and all that, but it's worth doing in my opinion.

I used to create installation soundtracks / pieces years ago and it would have been pretty difficult to create videos to go with the soundtracks, even though I would have really liked to do so.     

Horizon 1982

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 02:46:40 PM »
Well I think I might be charged as guilty, because when I moved from the city to the countryside, ambient music made so much sense...

The problem it's when you force imagery in a video, sometimes it just violates the track.