Author Topic: Ambient 31 (Cassette Tape Mix final 2013)  (Read 1538 times)

Ekstasis

• View Profile
Ambient 31 (Cassette Tape Mix final 2013)
« on: November 10, 2013, 01:16:14 AM »
I have not been on the forum for some time.  I have been busy, I am building my own studio now.

I did this record today... Inspired by Asianova and Ure Thrall.

I am aiming for a more old school vintage sound...quite noise to some perhaps but saturated.

The E-bow guitar is synthetic.

Any type of feedback is appreciated, Thanks.

http://k007.kiwi6.com/hotlink/mph8lye7x2/Ambient_31_Tapemix_Casette_Tape_mix_FINAL_.mp3
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 12:02:50 PM by Ekstasis »

Castleview

• View Profile
Re: Ambient 31 (Cassette Tape Mix)
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 12:48:41 PM »
I like ambient music that incorporates noisy elements, so I'm really liking this. The only flaw I can think of is that I do find it to be a bit too loud though.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 12:54:38 PM by Castleview »
http://castleview.bandcamp.com/
New album available now!

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 01:13:37 PM »
I like ambient music that incorporates noisy elements, so I'm really liking this. The only flaw I can think of is that I do find it to be a bit too loud though.

Thank you for the feedback. 

I did I think 3 different masters of it, I did check the volume levels on all, I am aware of the placebo effect that higher volume sounds "better" ,  etc. Those mixes I did with lower sound volume level did not sound as powerful, it did also affect the general sound it did not sound as powerful.  Those mixes I did with lower volume did sound too "clean", the increased sound level did. The high volume level did also make it more harsh (but saturated) I just think it did represent the music as I did imagine it.  Even though the sound level is high is also rich of transients, I am trying to be careful that I do not kill the transients... As I said I used very mild compression,  but I use a lot of tubes which in return increase the sound level but they are not compressors I use them mostly to add harmonic and transient content.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 02:50:57 PM »

I give you the second mix, with lower volume level, no peaks above 0 DB on this one. let me know which you like most.

http://delafil.se/key=1dad6d4262cbbf38c5b41e7e6880ecd5

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 05:30:02 PM »

I give you the second mix, with lower volume level, no peaks above 0 DB on this one. let me know which you like most.

http://delafil.se/key=1dad6d4262cbbf38c5b41e7e6880ecd5

Hey,

I saw the link but it didn't work for me.  :(
New album available now!

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 05:34:24 PM »
I just tried the link myself, it did work for me. Maybe try again ?

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 05:57:54 PM »
I got it to work by using a different browser.

That lower mix was definitely better to me. Really solid track.

You should try some of my music on my Bancdamp page if you have the chance. I think you would probably enjoy my newer work. I'm actually about to release a new track.
New album available now!

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 06:45:13 PM »
I got it to work by using a different browser.

That lower mix was definitely better to me. Really solid track.

You should try some of my music on my Bancdamp page if you have the chance. I think you would probably enjoy my newer work. I'm actually about to release a new track.

Thank you for your opinion, I might reconsider which is the final mix then need to listen some more.  But yeah the second mix is cleaner less powerful and overwheling but in long term it might be. I played some really loud sounds in my headphones yesterday which made my ears kind of sore...usually take some day or few days before they feel good agai (  my ears are kind of sensitive to loud volume especially in headphones), that made me like the second mix more cause it is more "comfortable to listen to"

I will download your album(s) on bandcamp, any one in particular you recommend me to download ?

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 06:47:22 PM »
Definitely check out Droneworlds and Hortus Conclusus. I also recommend Chamber Music. The other ones are more hit-and-miss, though I'd definitely recommend the song Devotion from Dronefest.
New album available now!

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 03:48:53 PM »
I have decided the second mix and with lower volume level is the "Final" mix...
Also could the administrator move this thread to the "Forum Member Projects News and Promotion" section ? thanks.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 03:49:50 PM »
Definitely check out Droneworlds and Hortus Conclusus. I also recommend Chamber Music. The other ones are more hit-and-miss, though I'd definitely recommend the song Devotion from Dronefest.

I will check them out. I will try to download them, the free streams are 128 kbps constant bit rate and they sound very poor, all the upper range are not there etc.

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 06:35:02 PM »
I'm glad that Bandcamp provides FLAC downloads for those that want really high quality. I personally don't find the Bandcamp streams to be that bad but they're definitely not the highest quality.
New album available now!

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 09:10:39 AM »
I'm glad that Bandcamp provides FLAC downloads for those that want really high quality. I personally don't find the Bandcamp streams to be that bad but they're definitely not the highest quality.

Note I am talking about the FREE streams that is provided on artists pages for free. they are 128kbps , and in my Trident HG3 speakers they sound horrible,  it is not hard for me to spot a 128kbps from a VbR encode, I also wonder what codec they use.

But in depends on the material of course, for instance mp3 have hard encoding transients faitfully, so if the music has a lot of transients it will be easier to hear the difference cause the mp3 format usually soften the transients.

I am also glad they provide FLAC, I would personally feel fooled otherwise If I pay for it and get only mp3. a 21 bit FLAC would be the best.

ffcal

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 10:32:28 AM »
Hi Immersion,

I meant to tell you that I gave your track with the lower volume mix a listen (burned it onto CDR and listened to it through my stereo system).  Some nice textures...I like your sounds at the high end, but the mix as a whole seems to lack a midrange (maybe you overcompensated the EQ by trying to avoid a muddy midrange??).  I would also dial back the reverb tail on the high end--it seems to smear a bit and there could be a little space there, so that the reverb setting could come through better.

HTH,
Forrest

Castleview

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 12:53:51 PM »
I'd honestly love to hear a full-length album made by Immersion.
New album available now!

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 02:26:02 PM »
Hi Immersion,

I meant to tell you that I gave your track with the lower volume mix a listen (burned it onto CDR and listened to it through my stereo system).  Some nice textures...I like your sounds at the high end, but the mix as a whole seems to lack a midrange (maybe you overcompensated the EQ by trying to avoid a muddy midrange??).  I would also dial back the reverb tail on the high end--it seems to smear a bit and there could be a little space there, so that the reverb setting could come through better.

HTH,
Forrest

Thanks for taking the time to listen.  Regarding EQ, I did use the SSL EQ to cut of the lowest rumble frequencies, I did add extra treble in the virtual tube amp, to get more "presence" and sparkle in the higher end but also generation nice tube saturation.
Regarding the mid range, I am aware that a lot of the sound did get lost in the sound bed when all instruments are in the mix..you can hear it more clear in the beginning ,  I might rework the recording later on.

Regarding the reverb setting,  I think I know what you mean.  I hear it too when you say about the high end being smeared..the metallic sounds get weaker transients...but To be honest I am sure if that is due the tape emulation plugin..cause I remember it did soften the transients,  I actually liked it without the tape emulation in the soft parts in the beginning..

I did use a tape saturation plugin in the end of the chain, this did make it sound more lo fi, and it more soft..cause I am aimed for a more old school sound not so modern and clean. 

it is safe to say I did not aim for perfection just atmosphere, I wanted a more vintage sound inspired from Asianova and Ure Thrall.
I will try to make more clean ambient recording soon, with a more modern sound.  But always nice to get feedback I am always looking to improve my sound... as you might know I am also a building a studio..which will give me new possibility I am only working in the box right now.  I am always struggling with cpu limitation right now, and it is the fact that my cpu always is maxed that makes me less motivated to make more music, just when it start to sound good your cpu gets maxed, often I have to record synths without any effects or anything..I prefer to hear the final sound in real time.. ideally I would like to run a lot more at the same time then control them with midi... I do not like to freeze tracks  but in this case I had too.

I also want more instrument and sound sources, I would like a lap steel guitar, also I would like some Tibetan Bowls...
But my money have to be used a lot of things..but I hope in future... I would also like a midi controlled Theremin.
For ambient I think it would be a nice instrument.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 02:51:30 PM by Immersion »

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2013, 02:28:12 PM »
I'd honestly love to hear a full-length album made by Immersion.

thank you :)
I let you know.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2014, 05:13:12 PM »
The download link did expire some weeks ago.. I did upload it again..

Ekstasis

• View Profile
Re: Ambient 31 (Cassette Tape Mix final 2013)
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2014, 12:04:09 PM »
The link has been uploaded again to a more "permanent" storage which wont expire within 30 days.

Any collaboration offers is welcome.. to make this more asianova/ure thrall/voice of eye style..thank you..

Seren

• View Profile
Re: Ambient 31 (Cassette Tape Mix final 2013)
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2014, 12:12:50 AM »
Just giving this a quick listen at work - enjoying it. Will try to burn to CD and giver it more attention later.