OTHER THINGS IN THE WORLD THAN MUSIC > Computers, Internet and Technology

New Mac PRO (Apple has now abandon the pro market)

<< < (8/8)

LNerell:

--- Quote from: Altus on December 04, 2013, 05:06:13 PM ---I'm certainly interested to hear your thoughts on that since I use Macs for the same purpose. What software are you using (FCP or Premiere)?
--- End quote ---

Using FCP 10, still learning it. It's pretty slow on my old quadcore Mac Pro, but this is the fastest Mac we have in the building right now. I have no idea when we will be getting them, I just know that they are in the budget for this school year.

Altus:

--- Quote from: LNerell on December 04, 2013, 11:51:51 PM ---Using FCP 10, still learning it.
--- End quote ---
You're a braver man than I am.  ;D
Admittedly I've only poked around with that version for 30 minutes or so. I wish they hadn't changed the interface and functionality so drastically. None of my clients use it, so for now, I don't have much need to learn it.
Given that software knows how to use its cores (whereas FCP7 doesn't), you should see a marked improvement.

LNerell:
I had no choice, I couldn't get FCP7 anymore. You might want to read this article, it might change your mind about X.

http://daredreamermag.com/2013/01/14/could-final-cut-pro-x-be-the-nle-of-the-future/

Altus:

--- Quote from: LNerell on December 06, 2013, 03:24:49 PM ---I had no choice, I couldn't get FCP7 anymore. You might want to read this article, it might change your mind about X.

http://daredreamermag.com/2013/01/14/could-final-cut-pro-x-be-the-nle-of-the-future/
--- End quote ---

Oh, I fully expect to use it in the future, but the feature I need most isn't in there yet: outputting to broadcast tape. I'd be surprised if they actually bring that back, given within the next 4-8 years, broadcasters will finally be at a point to eschew tapes for files delivered online. For commercials and spots, they all do now, but not for actual shows. The reason being, of course, filesizes.

There's no question FCP7 is creaky, but it's like a comfortable shoe. I'm aware of the advancements and timesavers FCPX brings to the table. I'll get around to learning it one day.

LNerell:

--- Quote from: Altus on December 07, 2013, 07:11:22 AM ---
Oh, I fully expect to use it in the future, but the feature I need most isn't in there yet: outputting to broadcast tape.
--- End quote ---

Ok, I don't have to worry about that since I am not doing broadcast quality video. I am mostly doing archival videos of music performances. I usually burn a DVD and make an mp4 for archival purposes that will eventually be put on a server some where, whenever we figure out what we want to do.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version