Author Topic: New Mac PRO (Apple has now abandon the pro market)  (Read 1856 times)

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
  • Life is a memory, and then it is nothing.
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
Re: New Mac PRO (Apple has now abandon the pro market)
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2013, 10:47:45 AM »
Here's a link to the Barefeets tests I mentioned:
http://www.barefeats.com/haswel2.html

I can't find the link to whatever other benchmarks I read, but they told a similar story.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2013, 11:45:27 AM »
It would be fun to have the coolest, fastest new machine, but that isn't my reason for buying a new computer.

eh :)
Well..I guess not all agree about that :)

Well I find it personally silly that people even in the pro market considering to buy these small portable form factors... because of the form factor and heat issue they are forced to underclock the cpus a full tower chassis with a big cpu cooler however would unlocks the cpus full potential.

I just find it stupid how one can priortize the form factor, but obviously Apple do, and they call that innovation, laptops has been around since the 80s it is nothing new and innovative to use underclocked cpus to make them work in a portable form factor, there is a reason why full towers exist, it is because they unlock the true potential of the computers units... and the physical laws of heat prevents us to unlock this full potential in portable form factor.

People see it as innovation, wow we can fit so much performance in such a portable form factor, but it is in reality counterproductive,  what they are doing is they are walking backwards when it comes to performance.

Well I guess the world is becoming more and more superficial, which explains the need to for small and stylish form factors.   As long as there is a need for more cpu power I will never ever give in to this superficial behavior and priotize a portable and stylish form factor before raw computer performance.
I will never choose a underclocked portable mac then a overclocked PC as it is now...cause I need every % of cpu power I can get... it leaves no room for
stylish form factor and portability.

But I do not like because of it has a unique form factor that it should be " coolest, fastest new machine" it is just wrong...

as I said it is true that Apple for now have monopoly of the CPUs in the mac pro but it will not take long until they are released to the full market.

And to be honest, 12 cores is mostly useful when rendering. Or if you
use many tracks.
For VSTs and VISTis still MHZ is more important then the amount of cores this is a fact. Yeah So I would not be totally crazy just because it is 12 cores, if you render a lot or if render time is very important... then sure..12 cores will be amazing for you.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2013, 12:26:04 PM »
When I said it would be "fun to have the coolest, fastest new machine" I was talking about weighing the option of buying the iMac versus waiting for the Mac Pro. I was not implying that the Mac Pro is the coolest, fastest computer in the world, just in the Mac world.

Obviously I could have purchased a fast PC tower and a couple of 27" IPS displays, and saved a bit of money. I chose not to do that. At home, I get to choose which computer I want to use, and I prefer to use a Mac.
[ Mike Griffin, Hypnos Recordings ] email mg (at) hypnos.com | http://hypnos.com | http://twitter.com/mgsoundvisions

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2013, 02:27:49 PM »
When I said it would be "fun to have the coolest, fastest new machine" I was talking about weighing the option of buying the iMac versus waiting for the Mac Pro. I was not implying that the Mac Pro is the coolest, fastest computer in the world, just in the Mac world.

Obviously I could have purchased a fast PC tower and a couple of 27" IPS displays, and saved a bit of money. I chose not to do that. At home, I get to choose which computer I want to use, and I prefer to use a Mac.

You could have built a hackingtosh.

Anyway I really hate the mac OS system..
I can't really say I love metro in windows..but the good thing
it is working with multiple devices..I like that..

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2013, 02:37:49 PM »
It's funny how you're so opposed to cutting corners and taking the "cheap option" with studio gear, yet with a computer you suggest I do just that. A hackintosh is a half-assed solution prone to glitches and driver problems, and requiring all kinds of hacks and tricks in order to get the thing to run at all -- exactly the kind of thing most Mac users are trying to avoid. I don't know anybody doing any serious work on a hackintosh, and if you can show me a link to somebody who has made one of these devices work, through multiple OS upgrades and with an assortment of attached peripherals such as audio interfaces, please show me a link.

The whole point of them seems to be proving that you can get OSX to install on non-Apple hardware, and since I'm willing to pay for good, stable and well-designed computer hardware, why would I put myself through the trouble and grief of trying to build my own?

Even if you do get a hackintosh running, it can be broken by any software or OS upgrade. How can you argue that this is the best way to go? Again, this argument is completely contrary to your usual argument about studio gear, that taking the cheap, half-assed approach to a given piece of equipment doesn't really solve the problem as well as just buying the right equipment the first time.

Now if you don't like OSX at all, that's OK. I don't have any interest in trying to repeat the endless Mac-versus-Windows argument  here. I believe everyone should use the system that makes them happy, and that works for what they're trying to accomplish.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2013, 02:54:56 PM »
It's funny how you're so opposed to cutting corners and taking the "cheap option" with studio gear, yet with a computer you suggest I do just that. A hackintosh is a half-assed solution prone to glitches and driver problems, and requiring all kinds of hacks and tricks in order to get the thing to run at all -- exactly the kind of thing most Mac users are trying to avoid. I don't know anybody doing any serious work on a hackintosh, and if you can show me a link to somebody who has made one of these devices work, through multiple OS upgrades and with an assortment of attached peripherals such as audio interfaces, please show me a link.

The whole point of them seems to be proving that you can get OSX to install on non-Apple hardware, and since I'm willing to pay for good, stable and well-designed computer hardware, why would I put myself through the trouble and grief of trying to build my own?

Even if you do get a hackintosh running, it can be broken by any software or OS upgrade. How can you argue that this is the best way to go? Again, this argument is completely contrary to your usual argument about studio gear, that taking the cheap, half-assed approach to a given piece of equipment doesn't really solve the problem as well as just buying the right equipment the first time.

Now if you don't like OSX at all, that's OK. I don't have any interest in trying to repeat the endless Mac-versus-Windows argument  here. I believe everyone should use the system that makes them happy, and that works for what they're trying to accomplish.

As an anti-apple person it was just a suggestion.  I would not had used hackingtosh myself, I do not think their is problems with stability anymore.

And this stability argument mac vs pc is so old... ever since windows 7 windows has been very stable.. and windows 8 is even more stable...
I have not got any bluescreens in  very long time.. I only got in the beginning when windows 8 was new and little bit buggy.

If you really are serious in considering using hackingtosh I guess you will have to do the homework yourself I am not going to do it for you.  My knowledge regarding hackingtosh is not up to date with the latest generation of Apples OS.

If you build a computer that is not stable, it is only your own fault, to select components requires a lot of research...

I do not think it is fair when they compare PC with MAC... there exist PC with crap components that is no news.

The challenge for Apple is a lot easier since they have full control of their own eco system.  Another advantage is that often the programmers of the programs you use are programmed on the same platform of their users... it makes the user experience more seamless and less probable factors of problems exist within such eco system.   It is good in some sense, but at the same time I prefer freedom then dictatorship and to be forced and locked into a certain eco system.

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2013, 03:15:43 PM »
I am not considering using a hackintosh - as I said, it's a half-assed solution. To me, it's like putting a Porsche emblem on the front of a Kia and saying "This is just the same, because fit says Porsche on the front."

The "stability argument" I made was about hackintosh, not Windows PCs. You are wrong in surmising that there is no  problem with stability in hackintosh builds. Most people who build a hackintosh refrain from running software updates and OS updates, because these can break the compatibility. To me, making all the extra effort to build a half-assed hack just to save a few dollars, and then become unable to accept software/OS updates, defeats the whole purpose of trying to use the Mac OS in the first place. It's fine if you're a hacker, doing it as an experiment to prove it can be done. If I want to deal with problems like that, I'll just use Windows.

Again, I have no interest in the Mac-versus-Windows argument. It's boring, and most of the arguments made by both sides are untrue, or based on old versions of the opposing system. I truly believe everyone should use what they like. I'm proficient with Windows, and if I had to use it at home, I would. 

El culto

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2013, 03:51:52 PM »
At last, no one can complain anymore that the forum isnīt active  ;D ;D ;D

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2013, 04:17:05 PM »
I am not considering using a hackintosh - as I said, it's a half-assed solution. To me, it's like putting a Porsche emblem on the front of a Kia and saying "This is just the same, because fit says Porsche on the front."

The "stability argument" I made was about hackintosh, not Windows PCs. You are wrong in surmising that there is no  problem with stability in hackintosh builds. Most people who build a hackintosh refrain from running software updates and OS updates, because these can break the compatibility. To me, making all the extra effort to build a half-assed hack just to save a few dollars, and then become unable to accept software/OS updates, defeats the whole purpose of trying to use the Mac OS in the first place. It's fine if you're a hacker, doing it as an experiment to prove it can be done. If I want to deal with problems like that, I'll just use Windows.

Again, I have no interest in the Mac-versus-Windows argument. It's boring, and most of the arguments made by both sides are untrue, or based on old versions of the opposing system. I truly believe everyone should use what they like. I'm proficient with Windows, and if I had to use it at home, I would.

Well I won't lie to you my knowledge about hackingtosh is limted... well if it is too much of an pain as you describe I can understand it...but maybe it will be worth it for some people as you said..who have the skills and motivation.

I agree about the win/mac argument.  But  a lot of MAC Muppets tend to provoke a lot of windows users a lot of times... I do not mean on this particular forum but in general...

petekelly

• View Profile
    • LuminaSounds
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2013, 04:39:31 AM »
Mike banned all political posts some time ago as they were getting out of hand, can this topic be added to the 'dangerous' list ?
Seriously, (for me) what is created on a machine is the primary thing and what it allows you to do also. Beyond that, who cares ?

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2013, 04:51:38 PM »
What does all Apple fans think about the new mac pro.
it is a disaster if you ask me, they have choosen form instead of function.

How can it be a disaster when it has not even been released yet? We are suppose to some in here at work for video editing. I will let everyone know what I think when we get them.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Altus

• View Profile
    • Altus - aural journeys for the mind's eye
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2013, 05:06:13 PM »
We are suppose to some in here at work for video editing. I will let everyone know what I think when we get them.
I'm certainly interested to hear your thoughts on that since I use Macs for the same purpose. What software are you using (FCP or Premiere)?
Mike Carss -- Altus : aural journeys for the mind's eye
www.altusmusic.ca

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2013, 05:08:36 PM »
My imac 27" arrived this afternoon. I'll set it up tonight but won't have much time to experiment with it until the weekend.

Still haven't received the 32GB RAM expansion or the 2nd 27" Thunderbolt monitor but I can at least get started with what I've got. It will be fun to have a new primary studio desktop machine for the first time in almost 8 years.

APK

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • DataObscura
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2013, 05:19:03 PM »
I have a new i7 mac Mini that I put an SSD in. It's great.
My first Apple computer since the apple 2c waaaay back  :)
I've always worked on Windows for audio, but I will begin to do a few things with the Mini.
Such a neat little device. And great if you want portability. Or deskspace.
www.dataobscura.com
www.dataobscura.com/apk
The Circular Ruins / Lammergeyer / Nunc Stans

mgriffin

• Hypnos Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • www.hypnos.com
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2013, 05:24:27 PM »
I switched over gradually, APK. At first I just had a low-end Mac for CD package design, then I started to do a few sound design things with it, then when I got started with Ableton Live 1.0 I really got rolling with it. The whole Imprint album with Dave Fulton was created with an old iBook and Ableton Live and a few plugins (at least, my half).

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2013, 11:51:51 PM »
I'm certainly interested to hear your thoughts on that since I use Macs for the same purpose. What software are you using (FCP or Premiere)?

Using FCP 10, still learning it. It's pretty slow on my old quadcore Mac Pro, but this is the fastest Mac we have in the building right now. I have no idea when we will be getting them, I just know that they are in the budget for this school year.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Altus

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2013, 04:55:15 AM »
Using FCP 10, still learning it.
You're a braver man than I am.  ;D
Admittedly I've only poked around with that version for 30 minutes or so. I wish they hadn't changed the interface and functionality so drastically. None of my clients use it, so for now, I don't have much need to learn it.
Given that software knows how to use its cores (whereas FCP7 doesn't), you should see a marked improvement.
www.altusmusic.ca

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2013, 03:24:49 PM »
I had no choice, I couldn't get FCP7 anymore. You might want to read this article, it might change your mind about X.

http://daredreamermag.com/2013/01/14/could-final-cut-pro-x-be-the-nle-of-the-future/
Take care.

- Loren Nerell

Altus

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2013, 07:11:22 AM »
I had no choice, I couldn't get FCP7 anymore. You might want to read this article, it might change your mind about X.

http://daredreamermag.com/2013/01/14/could-final-cut-pro-x-be-the-nle-of-the-future/

Oh, I fully expect to use it in the future, but the feature I need most isn't in there yet: outputting to broadcast tape. I'd be surprised if they actually bring that back, given within the next 4-8 years, broadcasters will finally be at a point to eschew tapes for files delivered online. For commercials and spots, they all do now, but not for actual shows. The reason being, of course, filesizes.

There's no question FCP7 is creaky, but it's like a comfortable shoe. I'm aware of the advancements and timesavers FCPX brings to the table. I'll get around to learning it one day.
www.altusmusic.ca

LNerell

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2013, 01:08:25 PM »

Oh, I fully expect to use it in the future, but the feature I need most isn't in there yet: outputting to broadcast tape.

Ok, I don't have to worry about that since I am not doing broadcast quality video. I am mostly doing archival videos of music performances. I usually burn a DVD and make an mp4 for archival purposes that will eventually be put on a server some where, whenever we figure out what we want to do.
Take care.

- Loren Nerell