Author Topic: jeff greinke "Scenes From A Train" 2013 release  (Read 926 times)

Ekstasis

• View Profile
jeff greinke "Scenes From A Train" 2013 release
« on: November 16, 2013, 05:26:10 AM »
Jeff Greinke have a new album out..I have not heard it yet..

https://itunes.apple.com/se/album/scenes-from-a-train/id641509875

He also did a soundtrack for the film "Oil and water" I can deeply recommend this film!
It is among the most mesmerizing audio visual experience I have seen... the bad thing is it is only 21 minutes long...

http://www.oilandwaterfilm.com/

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
Re: jeff greinke "Scenes From A Train" 2013 release
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 09:57:32 AM »
Thanks a lot for the info, Immersion!!! I didn't know about this release, but I just did a quick search on the net and it looks like this CD is widely available across the globe, even in Hong Kong... The CD is out since June 2013, but it looks like someone forgot to promote it in ambient community, strange... :(

Richard

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 11:47:25 AM »
yes I agree, the promotion could be better.  Jeff Greinke is among the best, and he is underrated.

chris23

• View Profile
    • bandcamp profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 01:07:09 PM »
Thanks for the head's up!

Bill Binkelman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 02:43:45 PM »
I'm listening to this now (thanks to Jeff for sending me a copy). Long time list members know that I, unlike many, am a huge fan of fairly recent Greinke releases, such as Virga and Winter Light, which some found to be too "soft" and nothing at all like his past, more abstract albums, such as Places of Motility, Lost Terrain, etc. I loved the melancholic, soundscape, cinematic elements of both Virga and Winter Light, both which reminded me of Mychael Danna's work, such as skys as well as of Tim Story's The Perfect Flaw. Anyway, this new one has Jeff working with a LOT of acoustic instrument accompanists: French horn, percussion, drums, trumpet, clarinet, viola, violin, trombone, cello, guitar, bass, etc. Jeff plays "all other instrumentation, sounds and rhythms." Some of the music has a strong chamber music aesthetic to it, and may elicit a somber/melancholic mood, but not always. "Valley and Ridge" is propelled by a cheery series of bell tones, percussive effects, and sweet string melodies with what I would characterize as a subtle Asian undertone. Based on the (gorgeous) photos contained in the accompanying booklet, I think the title of the CD indicates what the CD is about...music meant to accompany the images as one rides the train...particularly across a rural landscape in what appears to be the farm belt of the US (but I'm just speculating here). "The Milky Way" features forlorn trumpet set against an undercurrent of a rhythmic repeating texture (meant, I guess, to simulate the sound of a train on the tracks) before its mid-section morphs into a more free-form jazz meets quasi-experimental neo-classical semi-dissonance, reemerging into a more structured repeat of the first half. OTOH, "Haboob" is closer to post-rock. Searing guitars, raucous rhythms on trap kit drums and other devices, a subdued sensation of restrained chaos permeates the cut. and And I am now writing a review, which I only intended on giving a snapshop so I'll just close by saying that this may be Jeff's most ambitious album to date...it cannot be easily summed up (I wish myself luck on writing this review), and needs to be slowly digested, especially with how diverse it is at times.

My caveat is if you are fond of his early more traditionally ambient/dark ambient work and don't enjoy his recent stuff or his more non-ambient work and also if you don't enjoy acoustic instruments carrying the bulk of the load, you should listen to sound clips first. Myself, while I am still getting used to this, I know I like it just because I can "hear Jeff Greinke in it" and that's enough for me.
May the odds be ever in your favor.

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 03:01:27 PM »
I'm listening to this now (thanks to Jeff for sending me a copy). Long time list members know that I, unlike many, am a huge fan of fairly recent Greinke releases, such as Virga and Winter Light, which some found to be too "soft" and nothing at all like his past, more abstract albums, such as Places of Motility, Lost Terrain, etc. I loved the melancholic, soundscape, cinematic elements of both Virga and Winter Light, both which reminded me of Mychael Danna's work, such as skys as well as of Tim Story's The Perfect Flaw. Anyway, this new one has Jeff working with a LOT of acoustic instrument accompanists: French horn, percussion, drums, trumpet, clarinet, viola, violin, trombone, cello, guitar, bass, etc. Jeff plays "all other instrumentation, sounds and rhythms." Some of the music has a strong chamber music aesthetic to it, and may elicit a somber/melancholic mood, but not always. "Valley and Ridge" is propelled by a cheery series of bell tones, percussive effects, and sweet string melodies with what I would characterize as a subtle Asian undertone. Based on the (gorgeous) photos contained in the accompanying booklet, I think the title of the CD indicates what the CD is about...music meant to accompany the images as one rides the train...particularly across a rural landscape in what appears to be the farm belt of the US (but I'm just speculating here). "The Milky Way" features forlorn trumpet set against an undercurrent of a rhythmic repeating texture (meant, I guess, to simulate the sound of a train on the tracks) before its mid-section morphs into a more free-form jazz meets quasi-experimental neo-classical semi-dissonance, reemerging into a more structured repeat of the first half. OTOH, "Haboob" is closer to post-rock. Searing guitars, raucous rhythms on trap kit drums and other devices, a subdued sensation of restrained chaos permeates the cut. and And I am now writing a review, which I only intended on giving a snapshop so I'll just close by saying that this may be Jeff's most ambitious album to date...it cannot be easily summed up (I wish myself luck on writing this review), and needs to be slowly digested, especially with how diverse it is at times.

My caveat is if you are fond of his early more traditionally ambient/dark ambient work and don't enjoy his recent stuff or his more non-ambient work and also if you don't enjoy acoustic instruments carrying the bulk of the load, you should listen to sound clips first. Myself, while I am still getting used to this, I know I like it just because I can "hear Jeff Greinke in it" and that's enough for me.

sounds nice I am looking forward to hear.
I hope you did not miss "Cities in Fog 2" from 2011, it is quite back to his roots...

richardgurtler

• View Profile
    • My Discogs profile and shop
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 09:19:22 AM »
I ordered copy from Jeff few days ago, really looking forward to it!!! Yes, no matter in which direction he moves with his guests, it's always nice to see this exceptional artist back!!!

Richard

Ekstasis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 11:48:21 AM »
I have heard the cd now, I was not a big fan of it...it is more of an ambient jazz record.  The Milky way was the best song on the album.
But I have to say the production and sound is probably his best.